[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been getting lots of help the last couple of days via PM... thought I'd return the favor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzp6eklnO3SnekU2YjI1YkdKdGs/view?usp=sharing

Uploading Wheezy, the good alamode sketch, and anything else folks think would be helpful...

thanks EMPyre,you beat me to it...did you also include the SDformatter application?or the win32diskimager application?

actually upon looking, unless I'm doing something wrong, I only see one item in the link:

alamode-setup.tar.gz

is that correct?

I downloaded the wheezy file from the Rutgers site day_tripper posted (the first link) and after moving the disk image over to my SD card last night, it seems to be working great. Had to stop at step 4 last night as it was past midnight but planning on picking up where I left off tonight.

So new problem....I'm trying to install the LAMP package in step 4 but I keep coming up with error messages. I'm pretty sure it's trying to get them from the Wheezy directory on raspberrypi.org but since they've discontinued wheezy on that site, the packages are unavailable. Thoughts?

image.jpg

So new problem....I'm trying to install the LAMP package in step 4 but I keep coming up with error messages. I'm pretty sure it's trying to get them from the Wheezy directory on raspberrypi.org but since they've discontinued wheezy on that site, the packages are unavailable. Thoughts?

Odd. I used the same command with jessie and had no issue. Will do another reinstall soon and let you know how it goes

Be sure to do an apt-get update before trying to install or update packages.
I think it's unlikely that support for Wheezy got totally dumped...

Cheers!

Check /etc/apt/sources.list
It should look something like this:

Code:
deb http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free rpi
deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main contrib non-free rpi

fwiw, I see both the Jessie and Wheezy repositories when I start here and drill down...

http://archive.raspbian.org/

Cheers!

On to the next problem....and I kept having an issue with this before when I was trying to do the setup using Jessie. On step 6, I try to run the Alamode setup (sudo ./setup) and I keep getting an error message that says "no such file Or directory." I'm in the Alamode-setup directory and I can see the file listed but I can't access it...

image.jpg

Unfortunately the Wyolum guy broke the installer for alamode-setup. You can get a copy of the old working version here for however long I keep it available.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Ik_Urf2DpKX01mdHhscC1pOEU/view?usp=sharing

setup does not work with Jessie though. To get Jessie working I copied setup into the same folder, renamed the copy to jessie-setup and changed the contents to the following as per wyolum (and what he tried to do with his recentish update that seems to have broken the whole installer altogether)
Code:
#!/bin/bash

cp avrdude /usr/bin/avrdude
cp avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools
cp avrdude.conf  /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools
cp boards.txt  /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino
sed -i'bk' -e's/console=ttyAMA0,115200.//' -e's/kgdboc=tty.*00.//'  /boot/cmdline.txt
systemctl stop [email protected]
systemctl disable [email protected]
cp 80-alamode.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
chown root /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude
chgrp root /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude
chmod a+s /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude

Then instead of running ./setup run ./jessie-setup

Unfortunately the Wyolum guy broke the installer for alamode-setup. You can get a copy of the old working version here for however long I keep it available.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Ik_Urf2DpKX01mdHhscC1pOEU/view?usp=sharing

setup does not work with Jessie though. To get Jessie working I copied setup into the same folder, renamed the copy to jessie-setup and changed the contents to the following as per wyolum (and what he tried to do with his recentish update that seems to have broken the whole installer altogether)
Code:
#!/bin/bash

cp avrdude /usr/bin/avrdude
cp avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools
cp avrdude.conf  /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools
cp boards.txt  /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino
sed -i'bk' -e's/console=ttyAMA0,115200.//' -e's/kgdboc=tty.*00.//'  /boot/cmdline.txt
systemctl stop [email protected]
systemctl disable [email protected]
cp 80-alamode.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
chown root /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude
chgrp root /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude
chmod a+s /usr/bin/avrdude /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude

Then instead of running ./setup run ./jessie-setup

Thanks for the link Drunkle but I got the same message when trying to install it and I'm running Wheezy. Should I assume I need to run through the other steps even though I'm not running Jessie?

No. But I did find that the problem seemed to be with the version of arduino-setup that is currently available for download. I was helping someone else with this problem (hence why I have the file in my google drive) and using this older version seems to have fixed it for him. Go ahead and try the copy from my link. It should run for you. I got the same error when I was trying to install it whith Jessie and think the problem is some other supporting file got hosed.

Like I said, I tried using the setup file from the link you supplied and it's giving me the same messages. I may try to scrap the file, download it again and see if that works. If not, I'll try changing the code in the set-up file to match what you posted above and see if that does the trick

EDIT: it was still reading the old files....moved them to the trash and it seems to be working this time

Every time I try to go to the website, raspberrypints.com, it says account suspended...any reason for this?

Dammit! I've just started step 9 where you setup up the arduino sketch and now the site is down. I checked out the bernerbits link above but it doesn't have the directions from the raspberrypints site. Anyone know of another site that lists the directions step-by-step?

I'm about to plunge into the Raspberry Pints build and now the website is suspended. But it seems like everyone on this thread has provided great info so I am going for it. Thanks gromit for the instructions!

So for the noob that I am, what hardware are people getting nowadays? RB 2 or 3? A different arduino controller than the AlaMode? Would this amazon package work for the RB and arduino controller?

Much appreciated!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YDW40QQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a Pi 2. You can run Raspian Wheezy on it and not be forced into Jessie.
There's a wealth of experience here with Wheezy, far far less with Jessie.

I don't see a major advantage with the Pi 3. Yes, it's incrementally faster than the Pi 2, but that's wasted on Raspberry Pints, and the on board wifi may not work great if the Pi is inside an enclosure.

I'd go with the AlaMode as it's the most compact solution, and again, there's a lot of us here with AlaMode experience....

Cheers!

Fwiw the pi3 has awesome wifi. I haven't had a chance to check out the bt yet but I have serious issues with my $&&@&&$ router and my pi3s have the best connection of any of the devices in my house. and I have one in a pigrrl with a tft screen speaker and 2500mah lipo all pressed up against the wifi antenna with a 28guage 40 pin cable draped across it and it has 0 issues. but yeah unless you intend to run like 8 other projects on it you don't need the pi3 for rpints. Way overpowered. even if the pi2 is the same price it's still probably a better solution, although going forward we do need to address this Jesse problem. wheezy isn't a viable solution forever.

Just wanted to take a quick second to thank everyone for the copious amounts of info on this thread. Every stumble I've hit along the way has been overcome by the help of everyone here. And I also managed to get some great ideas on how I wanted to implement flow meters into my system. Only thing left is to plumb the lines into the taps and I should be good to go. Thanks again everyone for all your help!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459807848.765333.jpg

Ha! Flow meter box. Mounts inside the kegerator. All lines wired up to Cat5 cable which runs into the coupler on top of the box. Will have a longer run of Cat5 running out of the kegerator to another coupler attached to the Alamode pins. Draft lines run from QD's to the flare fittings on one side. They pick up again from the hose barb and will run to the taps from there.

Hello everyone!
Been messing with my RPints setup for a few weeks now (with much help from this site...thanks!) and am having just one last issue I'm hoping someone might be able to assist me with.

I'm running a 4 tap setup on a new Raspberry Pi 2 with Wheezy (tried using a Pi 3 with Jessie and ran into many issues)

Taps 1-3 which are connected to pins 8,9 and 10 are recording just fine. Tap 4 (connected to pin 11) however is recording hundreds of ounces per pour. Right now during this testing phase I am just using one single flow meter that I am swapping between the pins so I know it isn't an issue with the flow meter itself.

When i open the Serial Monitor on the Pi taps 1-3 (pins 8, 9 & 10) don't display anything (which is fine) and record ounces perfectly. However, when I connect the meter to the 4 tap (pin 11) and do a pour, it triggers a message in the serial monitor "k;0;11" ...and when I refresh the RPints page it shows that I have poured hundreds of ounces.

Please feel free to ask for more details. I could go on and on, but this thread would be a mile long and require a few more beers :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

- Brian

IMG_4387.JPG

Been getting lots of help the last couple of days via PM... thought I'd return the favor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzp6eklnO3SnekU2YjI1YkdKdGs/view?usp=sharing

Uploading Wheezy, the good alamode sketch, and anything else folks think would be helpful...

So... My bad. I had everything uploaded, but didn't dump it into a folder to share it all. I've since done so, and it can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bzp6eklnO3SnU2d0UjRrS1ZCSXc&usp=sharing

Hello everyone!
Been messing with my RPints setup for a few weeks now (with much help from this site...thanks!) and am having just one last issue I'm hoping someone might be able to assist me with.

I'm running a 4 tap setup on a new Raspberry Pi 2 with Wheezy (tried using a Pi 3 with Jessie and ran into many issues)

Taps 1-3 which are connected to pins 8,9 and 10 are recording just fine. Tap 4 (connected to pin 11) however is recording hundreds of ounces per pour. Right now during this testing phase I am just using one single flow meter that I am swapping between the pins so I know it isn't an issue with the flow meter itself.

When i open the Serial Monitor on the Pi taps 1-3 (pins 8, 9 & 10) don't display anything (which is fine) and record ounces perfectly. However, when I connect the meter to the 4 tap (pin 11) and do a pour, it triggers a message in the serial monitor "k;0;11" ...and when I refresh the RPints page it shows that I have poured hundreds of ounces.

Please feel free to ask for more details. I could go on and on, but this thread would be a mile long and require a few more beers :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

- Brian

Have you tried a different pin than 11 for your 4th tap. You can use pretty much any of them aside from the reserved ones. Maybe it is a case of mis-soldering the pin on the alamode. Maybe it is some other flaw. It is worth a try. All you would have to do is re-edit the alamode sketch and upload a different pin number for it to the alamode.

I am guessing the problem is hardware (pin) based since it is only on the one pin. Unless of course you used the version of rpints where you can edit the pins and flow meter sensitivities from within rpints itself.

Back