Help formulating water profile for DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennahighlandbrew

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew up the following Hopslam clone from Northern Brewer and I'm looking for help coming up with a decent water profile for my mash to really help the hops pop. I've had bad luck with my tap water before so I tend to use distilled or RO water and use a product like accumash or something, but I was hoping you guys could help deepen my knowledge on a subject I'm sorely lacking in.

The recipe is here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-HopsLambImperialIPA.pdf

For the mash I plan to use a ratio of 1.375 qts/lb with a single infusion mash and then batch sparge. Can anyone give me some (preferably simple) advice on how I can get a good result from this? I've been brewing all grain for a little over a year now and water chemistry is my weakest subject so far. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Have you looked into hopstands? that recipe doesnt mention a whirlpool ro hopstand and youll definitely need it for hop character anything close to hopslam

I'd also recommend the BRew Science forum, there is a sticky which explains how to start working with your water simply. Given that you already do RO, that is the place to start. It has a clear recommendation for what to do.

Of you haven't checked out brewers friend water chemistry page, it is a great start. It includes a calculator for various styles. Here is the link for it. The read is a little long and detail heavy but very informative!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/

^^^This^^^
This is the calculator I use.
Choose or enter a target profile, enter grist, enter RO water at 0s with low bicarbonate, (10-15).
I add gypsum and CaCl to get my water in target range, then add 10% phosphoric to get pH.
This has turned out some really well received all grain brews.

In my opinion, DIPA's often have trouble drying out their finish due to the amount of malt in those beers. Boosting the sulfate level into the 200 to 300 ppm is a necessary thing to assist in drying the beer's finish and allowing the hops and bitter to make it out from under all that malt. The Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water is an acceptable target in brewing hoppy and bittered beer styles.

I like to use around 250-275ppm of sulfate for my DIPAs. Couple that with a very simple grain bill (basically all base malt, maybe 2-3% of a crystal), some corn sugar, and a low mash temp, and you should get a hop-forward, dry, DIPA.

Back