[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still rather new to the pints, but I was wondering if i'm doing something wrong, or if that is just how it works...

I enter in the beer in beers, then I go into taps and I pick my beer, but the info I entered in for my beer is not auto populated in the taps section for the specific beer...its able to look up the valid beers, just wondering why it doesn't also pick up the beer specific info also? or was it not meant to do that?

thanks for your help...and I really like having another toy to play with.

I had the exact same problem. Turns out that I had put some 'hard returns' in my descriptions. If you have any 'return's at all in the description the beer info. will not auto populate when you tap a keg. As a side note on a similar subject if you have any sort of 'weird' characters in your title then when you add a beer, none of the beers will show up. Kind of scary when that happens.

I had the exact same problem. Turns out that I had put some 'hard returns' in my descriptions. If you have any 'return's at all in the description the beer info. will not auto populate when you tap a keg. As a side note on a similar subject if you have any sort of 'weird' characters in your title then when you add a beer, none of the beers will show up. Kind of scary when that happens.

Even without the hard returns, it still doesn't automatically populate the SG, FG and some other numbers. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that this was done purposefully by the authors because these numbers change a point or two for every brew unless you hit your numbers exactly, so they need to be updated for each batch. The beer name, category and description all get populated.

Even without the hard returns, it still doesn't automatically populate the SG, FG and some other numbers.[...]

This is not correct, ime.
When I tap a keg, the only fields that do not get populated automagically are the keg number, pin number and volume.

I doubt I have a special feature running here, so if that's not how your setup is working, something must be broken...

Cheers!

Even without the hard returns, it still doesn't automatically populate the SG, FG and some other numbers. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that this was done purposefully by the authors because these numbers change a point or two for every brew unless you hit your numbers exactly, so they need to be updated for each batch. The beer name, category and description all get populated.

When I tap a keg, the only fields that do not get populated automagically are the keg number, pin number and volume.

I doubt I have a special feature running here, so if that's not how your setup is working, something must be broken...

Cheers!

ok, so I'm not sure what is broken with mine, but the only it fills in when I select a beer, is the beer name itself...nothing else.

any ideas what is going on?

I can only go by what others have run into: avoid hard tabs and returns - I'd even avoid leading spaces in all of the data fields and anything other than text and numbers.

fwiw, you can use phpMyAdmin to open the database and peer through all of the entries in the 'beers' table, and edit anything that looks dicey...

Cheers!

thanks all for the help...I just checked my two beers in the beers table in phpmyadmin, no leading, trailing spaces or tabs or returns as far as I could tell...did the old go the beginning and backspace a bunch, and go to the end and hit the delete key a bunch, on every field...and still the same

click my taps:
find an empty tap, click tap a keg
select the beer and tab out of the beer field and nothing populates...click the keg # and still nothing populates

...weird...

I'm not sure what I'm missing...I hate when I can't figure something out.

thanks all for the help...I just checked my two beers in the beers table in phpmyadmin, no leading, trailing spaces or tabs or returns as far as I could tell...did the old go the beginning and backspace a bunch, and go to the end and hit the delete key a bunch, on every field...and still the same

click my taps:
find an empty tap, click tap a keg
select the beer and tab out of the beer field and nothing populates...click the keg # and still nothing populates

...weird...

I'm not sure what I'm missing...I hate when I can't figure something out.

Any quotes (single or double) in there?

Cheers,
-Th

Any quotes (single or double) in there?

Cheers,
-Th

there are all the default beers in the listings, plus I added two of my own:

Wit'le Buddy Ollie - the blue moon clone from here, named in honor of my cat that passed away

Graff - named just like that.

I tried the first one with no ' in the name, the samething, it never populates any beer specific info. plus, the second one, only called Graff, no special characters or anything, does the samething.

should I maybe purge out all the default brews?

thanks again for your help CaptnDelta...my raspberry pints mentor :mug:

Wit'le Buddy Ollie - the blue moon clone from here, named in honor of my cat that passed away

Try w/o that quotation mark. Sorry about your cat (and the name you may have to mutilate... :( )

Other than that, go to your 'My Taps' screen, click on 'tap a keg', right click on the page w/o doing anything else in there, select 'View Page Source', scroll all the way down until you see:
Code:
<script>
	$(function() {
		var beerList = {

copy what you see in there all the way down until you see
Code:
		var kegList = {

and post that here, inside CODE tags. That's the little # sign up there when you're posting from a browser on your computer. The reason I mention to post it inside CODE tags is so that the forum software doesn't swallow something that may be the cause of your predicament. It's how I posted the code fragments above, they show up verbatim.

Just trying to make sure you use the
Code:
 CODE
tags...

As a side note: It doesn't matter if the characters that the Javascript side understands as control characters are in the title or the description, it will mess up anyways.

Cheers,
-Th

Try w/o that quotation mark. Sorry about your cat (and the name you may have to mutilate... :( )

Other than that, go to your 'My Taps' screen, click on 'tap a keg', right click on the page w/o doing anything else in there, select 'View Page Source', scroll all the way down until you see:
Code:
<script>
	$(function() {
		var beerList = {

copy what you see in there all the way down until you see
Code:
		var kegList = {

and post that here, inside CODE tags. That's the little # sign up there when you're posting from a browser on your computer. The reason I mention to post it inside CODE tags is so that the forum software doesn't swallow something that may be the cause of your predicament. It's how I posted the code fragments above, they show up verbatim.

Just trying to make sure you use the
Code:
 CODE
tags...

As a side note: It doesn't matter if the characters that the Javascript side understands as control characters are in the title or the description, it will mess up anyways.

Cheers,
-Th

thanks again for the help...here it is and I hope I got the code thing right at least, LOL

Code:
<script>
	$(function() {
		var beerList = { 
			13: {id: 13, name: 'Bitter Sweet - 3333', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.
5G with 3333
5G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:44:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:44:42') }, 14: {id: 14, name: 'Bitter Sweet - 3944', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.
5G with 3333
5G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:45:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:45:42') }, 12: {id: 12, name: 'Graff', beerStyleId: 90, notes: '1G wort + 4G apple juice = Graff

Brandon O&amp;#039;s Graff from HBT', srm: '3.5', og: '1.050', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:47:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:47:47') }, 6: {id: 6, name: 'Haus Pale Ale', beerStyleId: 33, notes: 'Pale straw-gold color with two fingers of fluffy white head. Bread dough and cracker aromas up front, followed immediately by pine and grapefruit. Clean, crisp and dangerously sessionable.', srm: '5.0', og: '1.051', fg: '1.011', ibu: '39', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 8: {id: 8, name: 'Skeeter Pee', beerStyleId: 100, notes: 'The original, easy to drink, naturally fermented lemon drink. Bitter, sweet, and a kick in the teeth. This hot-weather thirst quencher puts commercialized lemon-flavored malt beverages to shame.', srm: '0.0', og: '1.070', fg: '1.009', ibu: '0', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 11: {id: 11, name: 'Witle Buddy Ollie', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)
Awesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.', srm: '3.6', og: '1.048', fg: '1.000', ibu: '18', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:42:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:36:53') }, 		};

var kegList = {

if one is off, or has the bad characters would it affect ALL beers? or just that one?

UPDATE:
I noticed the ' in my Graff description and the + and the ='s signs along with the ()'s in the blue moon clone...so I've removed them now :)

but still it does the samething, pick a beer, nothing below it is displayed.

here is the updated code, with all those special characters removed:

Code:
<script>
	$(function() {
		var beerList = { 
			13: {id: 13, name: 'Bitter Sweet 3333', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.
5G with 3333
5G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:44:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:15:10') }, 14: {id: 14, name: 'Bitter Sweet 3944', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.
5G with 3333
5G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:45:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:15:17') }, 12: {id: 12, name: 'Graff', beerStyleId: 90, notes: '1G wort and 4G apple juice becomes Graff

Brandon Os Graff from HBT', srm: '3.5', og: '1.050', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:47:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:10:11') }, 6: {id: 6, name: 'Haus Pale Ale', beerStyleId: 33, notes: 'Pale straw-gold color with two fingers of fluffy white head. Bread dough and cracker aromas up front, followed immediately by pine and grapefruit. Clean, crisp and dangerously sessionable.', srm: '5.0', og: '1.051', fg: '1.011', ibu: '39', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 8: {id: 8, name: 'Skeeter Pee', beerStyleId: 100, notes: 'The original, easy to drink, naturally fermented lemon drink. Bitter, sweet, and a kick in the teeth. This hot-weather thirst quencher puts commercialized lemon-flavored malt beverages to shame.', srm: '0.0', og: '1.070', fg: '1.009', ibu: '0', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 11: {id: 11, name: 'Witle Buddy Ollie', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'Blue Balls Belgian Wit Blue Moon Clone
Awesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.', srm: '3.6', og: '1.048', fg: '1.000', ibu: '18', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:42:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:11:42') }, 		};

var kegList = {

I saw the -'s in the two wit names as well, removed, same thing still. code up above re-updated.

Cheers!

Of course, you were right about this. I tapped a keg last night and it behaved exactly how you described. I'm so used to fiddling with the OG and FG by a point or two that I forgot that it populates those fields.

One question - when the software was designed, any idea why the pin numbers weren't associated with a tap so that you don't have to fill that in every time? I can't remember ever changing one of the taps to a different pin. I've had this running since the before the flow meters were introduced and it has never come up.

I wasn't privy to the base code development so I can't attribute the methods used to anything in particular.
After this long my 6 pins-to-taps relationships are pretty much burned into my brain such that filling that in when I tap a keg is automatic.

I gather that the CaptnDelta branch deals with this entirely differently...

Cheers!

here is the updated code, with all those special characters removed:

I saw the -'s in the two wit names as well, removed, same thing still. code up above re-updated.

You have a ton of hard line breaks in your beer descriptions, which (as raysmithtx indicates) is what prevents that script from running and filling the the entries. The first two are here:

Code:
'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.
5G with 3333
5G with 3944'

The first two lines have hard line breaks. Those indicate to the Javascript engine in the browser the end of a JS statement. However, since the JS statement doesn't make any sense, the browser just gives up and doesn't eval it any further. You have to remove all of them, in all beers. Either all beers work or none work.

Cheers,
-Th

One question - when the software was designed, any idea why the pin numbers weren't associated with a tap so that you don't have to fill that in every time? I can't remember ever changing one of the taps to a different pin. I've had this running since the before the flow meters were introduced and it has never come up.

It would have required to make changes to the table design and additional work on the user interface.

This was the single most annoying "feature" which made me think about rewriting RPints. There is a additional tap config screen in my version, where you set this only once.

Cheers,
-Th

You have a ton of hard line breaks in your beer descriptions, which (as raysmithtx indicates) is what prevents that script from running and filling the the entries. The first two are here:

Code:
'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.
5G with 3333
5G with 3944'

The first two lines have hard line breaks. Those indicate to the Javascript engine in the browser the end of a JS statement. However, since the JS statement doesn't make any sense, the browser just gives up and doesn't eval it any further. You have to remove all of them, in all beers. Either all beers work or none work.

Cheers,
-Th

AWESOME!!! thanks...

I found it...npp+ I use does that for me, I think when you say har dline breaks, you are saying remove the CR LF for the carriage returns and line feeds, correct.

so this one, should work then, right? I found some CR & LF before 13: and after the first {

as well as one after the }; and then another one after that...can those stay?

Code:
<script>
	$(function() {
		var beerList = { 
			13: {id: 13, name: 'Bitter Sweet 3333', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.5G with 33335G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:44:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:15:10') }, 14: {id: 14, name: 'Bitter Sweet 3944', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.5G with 33335G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:45:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:15:17') }, 12: {id: 12, name: 'Graff', beerStyleId: 90, notes: '1G wort and 4G apple juice becomes GraffBrandon Os Graff from HBT', srm: '3.5', og: '1.050', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:47:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:10:11') }, 6: {id: 6, name: 'Haus Pale Ale', beerStyleId: 33, notes: 'Pale straw-gold color with two fingers of fluffy white head. Bread dough and cracker aromas up front, followed immediately by pine and grapefruit. Clean, crisp and dangerously sessionable.', srm: '5.0', og: '1.051', fg: '1.011', ibu: '39', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 8: {id: 8, name: 'Skeeter Pee', beerStyleId: 100, notes: 'The original, easy to drink, naturally fermented lemon drink. Bitter, sweet, and a kick in the teeth. This hot-weather thirst quencher puts commercialized lemon-flavored malt beverages to shame.', srm: '0.0', og: '1.070', fg: '1.009', ibu: '0', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 11: {id: 11, name: 'Witle Buddy Ollie', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'Blue Balls Belgian Wit Blue Moon CloneAwesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.', srm: '3.6', og: '1.048', fg: '1.000', ibu: '18', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:42:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:11:42') }, 		};

var kegList = {

so this one, should work then, right? I found some CR & LF before 13: and after the first {

as well as one after the }; and then another one after that...can those stay?

Code:
<script>
	$(function() {
		var beerList = { 
			13: {id: 13, name: 'Bitter Sweet 3333', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.5G with 33335G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:44:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:15:10') }, 14: {id: 14, name: 'Bitter Sweet 3944', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'made 20 G with Rob D. I got ten.5G with 33335G with 3944', srm: '4.0', og: '1.045', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-22 23:45:42'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:15:17') }, 12: {id: 12, name: 'Graff', beerStyleId: 90, notes: '1G wort and 4G apple juice becomes GraffBrandon Os Graff from HBT', srm: '3.5', og: '1.050', fg: '1.000', ibu: '10', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:47:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:10:11') }, 6: {id: 6, name: 'Haus Pale Ale', beerStyleId: 33, notes: 'Pale straw-gold color with two fingers of fluffy white head. Bread dough and cracker aromas up front, followed immediately by pine and grapefruit. Clean, crisp and dangerously sessionable.', srm: '5.0', og: '1.051', fg: '1.011', ibu: '39', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 8: {id: 8, name: 'Skeeter Pee', beerStyleId: 100, notes: 'The original, easy to drink, naturally fermented lemon drink. Bitter, sweet, and a kick in the teeth. This hot-weather thirst quencher puts commercialized lemon-flavored malt beverages to shame.', srm: '0.0', og: '1.070', fg: '1.009', ibu: '0', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-15 18:38:53') }, 11: {id: 11, name: 'Witle Buddy Ollie', beerStyleId: 55, notes: 'Blue Balls Belgian Wit Blue Moon CloneAwesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.', srm: '3.6', og: '1.048', fg: '1.000', ibu: '18', active: '1', createdDate: new Date('2016-02-17 20:42:47'), modifiedDate: new Date('2016-02-23 07:11:42') }, 		};

var kegList = {

Looks like it should work. Try it :)

Cheers,
-Th

Looks like it should work. Try it :)

Cheers,
-Th

AWESOME!!! I have my brew club meeting tonight...so once I get home from that, I will for sure try that out...this thread will help me also just c+p from here, into my browser! LOL...

also, will that work? if I just view the source like you showed me, and then edit it in there? or do I have to go someplace else to do that? or, do I just edit the descriptions in my beers, from the "beers" button directly?

thanks again

AWESOME!!! I have my brew club meeting tonight...so once I get home from that, I will for sure try that out...this thread will help me also just c+p from here, into my browser! LOL...

also, will that work? if I just view the source like you showed me, and then edit it in there? or do I have to go someplace else to do that? or, do I just edit the descriptions in my beers, from the "beers" button directly?

thanks again

You can't edit the web page in the browser, you have to edit the beer titles / beer descriptions in the database to fix this. You can do this from the "My Beers" screen in RPints, or via phpmyadmin. Main thing is that all CRLF's are gone.

Cheers,
-Th

You can't edit the web page in the browser, you have to edit the beer titles / beer descriptions in the database to fix this. You can do this from the "My Beers" screen in RPints, or via phpmyadmin. Main thing is that all CRLF's are gone.

Cheers,
-Th

wonderful, thanks!:ban:

I was looking at this morass of data wondering WTF is all THAT about? :drunk:
I don't think incorporating the whole recipe in tabular form was what the authors ever intended.

Considering how long it's taken just to realize what a "hard break" is, you might want to strip things down to one word per beer to get started...

Cheers! ;)

I was looking at this morass of data wondering WTF is all THAT about? :drunk:
I don't think incorporating the whole recipe in tabular form was what the authors ever intended.

Considering how long it's taken just to realize what a "hard break" is, you might want to strip things down to one word per beer to get started...

Cheers! ;)

yeah perhaps, I've just never heard a carriage return or line feed called a hard break before...but perhaps that is just the 17+ years of IT in me...LOL...plus, I saw in the default beers more data then what I had in there, so i figured, character limits wasn't an issue...not realizing where I copied FROM had those CR's and LF's built in...but, of course not "human visible" in the programs I was using at the time....but no worries, it's npp from here on out for me to avoid that hopefully in the future...

Cheers,
-Th

we got it working properly now CaptnDelta, day_trippr...many many thanks...I select a beer and it pulls the info I've populated from the table as expected.

thanks again for your help, and also your patience with me :rockin:

It's a process.

I wrote it up on hbt a little while back, lemme Google-Fu that beyotch...
Ok, start with this post, which will provide a link to the holy grail of RPi live backups.

Then go to this post where I posted the procedure with all of the console commands and responses.
If you keep that one on the screen as you go you'll be able to see what I saw at each step.
Should be a confidence enhancer :)

Why a live backup? Because win32diskimager (like most imagers) does a block copy to a single file for the full extent of the SD card.
And if you try to use that to write a replacement card and that card is even one block smaller in capacity, you're fooked.

A live backup, otoh, can create a clone even if it's substantially smaller than the card in the system.
As long as the target card is larger than the used space on the original, you can create a clone...

Cheers!

Thanks for the post of meter placement - How much CO2 pressure are you pushing?

I am now at 18in from keg and 11 feet to taps - still 1/2 foam

fwiw, my SF800 meters are 12" from the beer QDs and 11 feet from the faucet shank couplers.
[edit] Aside from the stout on beer gas, the other five are @ 12 psi.
flow_meter_install_08.jpg
All line is 3/16" ID Bevlex-200, this would not work with BevSeal Ultra 235.
Perfect pours from all six faucets.

Also, there's a 40mm tower cooler and a 120mm stirring fan involved, both run 24/7.
Together there's no stratification inside the keezer and the tower is usually within 10°F of the keezer...

Cheers!

Thanks for the post of meter placement - How much CO2 pressure are you pushing?

I am now at 18in from keg and 11 feet to taps - still 1/2 foam

Wow. I am running about 11 feet of line from meter to tap and 1 foot from keg to meter. 11-12 psi at about 40 F with no real foam issue. Maybe a touch more than I got pre-adding the meters but not bad at all.

What is your serving pressue? How high do you carb?

I upgraded my Pi from a B to a new Pi 2. In order to upgrade, I updated all of the packages, etc. on the old Pi, then booted the new Pi with the SD card. Everything worked well and it booted okay, but now I'm not getting my pours updated and the Chromium browser doesn't start automatically on boot.

I tried a couple of things with the Python script, but I'm in over my head. Here's what I get from an lxterminal when I run the Python script and pour a tap. Any suggestions before I try reinstalling from scratch?

View attachment 1456701869974.jpg

Shameless bump for some help before I resort to reinstalling everything.

If Chromium runs properly when manually launched, you likely put its auto-run stuff in the wrong LXDE-startup folder
(at some point Wheezy moved the cheese ;)).

We used to use /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart, but now you should use /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart (note the '-pi'). Give that a try.

As for the pours, if you do

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start

followed by

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon status

The response should be

Code:
[ ok ] /var/www/python/flow_monitor.py is running.

Cheers!

1456701869974.jpg

I am currently reinstalling mine from scratch and Jessie has given me some strife. I am caught up on the flowmonitor stuff as well. One thing I caught and wonder if may be part of the problem, yet may be part of mine instead is didnt Jessie move the folder from /var/www to var/www/html? Shouldnt Rpints and the like have been copied to the html folder?

Then again, wouldnt that have required the /var/www references in the flowmonitor.py etc to be updated to /var/www/html? Is this where I am screwing up myself?

and to make the autolaunch thing work, I did what DroneDeveloper reccomends here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=122444 in the second post. I am using iceweasel because I cant get chromium working on my Pi B (I dont have a 2). Copying the desktop shortcut to the autostart folder works great for me though. and since I put it in fullscreen mode then alt-f4 to close when it starts it does so in full screen mode.

I believe the whole /var/www/html thing is actually due changes made in the 2.4 release of Apache2 (which likely fell into the same time frame as the Jessie release).

By default there is a file link at /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf
which points to the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf

You can edit the latter and change the DocumentRoot from /var/www/html to /var/www.

It'll take a restart of Apache (or a system restart) to make that change effective, but it should make things behave.
Of course you'll want to actually locate the R'Pints tree there as well :)

Cheers!

Reformatted, installed raspbian (unfortunately Jessie is all that's available) managed with lots of help from Google to get to step 9.

It looks like they updated the alamode-setup today. That version did not work for me. Luckily I had an older version on my computer and loaded that up.

I took @day_trippr 's advice to save trouble by taking the html folder part out of the equation. Now when trying to run the flowmon service I get this.

View attachment 1456852392858.jpg

Thoughts?

Edit: 2:25 PM

Figured it out. It appears that you can no longer use step 9 with Jessie and get the service working. It seems this is due to Jessie now using systemctl to run/manage services. Here is what I did to make mine work.

Following Step 9, I ran

$ sudo cp flowmon /etc/init.d
then for permissions
$ sudo chmod a+x /etc/init.d/flowmon
since $ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py does not work for me and gave me the above pictured error I started working with systemctl as per the workaround detailed in the post at 2014-12-17 22:41 http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=119485

$ sudo cp /run/systemd/generator.late flow.service /run/systemd
$ sudo cp /run/systemd/generator.late flowmon.service /run/systemd

Then I ran flowmon
$ sudo systemctl start flowmon
Then to confirm it is running
$ sudo systemctl status flowmon
Then to make it start at startup
$ sudo systemctl enable flowmon

From there I picked back up at the part where you reboot the pi and did step 10. Tested and all is well.

Oh, and if anyone needs the "how I finagled it into working on Raspian Jessie" here is what I did different from the instructions

Since just downloading the image of Raspian Jessie is not the same as NOOBS I first set up the display Rotation and Resolution
Then since there is no automatically running Configuration Tool I typed the following in to launch the equivalent

$ Sudo raspi-config

This allowed me to set my timezone, keyboard type (it defaulted to GB rather than US), expand file system, etc

Then I Set up Internet (I used the ethernet port and not wifi)

$ sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

and entered the following at the bottom

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.1.55/24
static routers=192.168.1.1
static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.1

...Continued with normal directions until step 4

Since Chromium does not work for me I installed iceweasel (the masking does not work which sucks but oh well)

$ sudo apt-get -y install iceweasel

to get it to autorun on startup I did the following

Click the Menu button, then expand Internet and right click Iceweasel and choose Add to Desktop
Then in terminal window I typed the following to make it autorun

$ sudo cp /home/pi/Desktop/iceweasel.desktop /home/pi/.config/autostart/iceweasel.desktop
$ cd /home/pi/.config/autostart/
$ sudo nano iceweasel.desktop

Scrolled to the bottom and changed
Exec=iceweasel %u
to
Exec=iceweasel http://localhost

saved and closed. Then I ran iceweasel and hit F-11 to fullscreen. Alt-f4 to close and now when it launches it will launch fullscreen. Nifty huh?

Back to the walkthrough from the site

until... Screen Blanking. This never works twice for me so I brute forced it

$ sudo apt-get xscreensaver
Then Menu > Preferences > Screensaver and changed Mode to Disable Screen Saver. Take that screen blanking.

Then as @day_trippr suggested adjusted the www/html thing

$ sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf

changed the DocumentRoot from /var/www/html to /var/www

Back to your regularly scheduled setup instructions. (hopefully the alamode-setup thing gets fixed, otherwise I will find some way to get you the copy I downloaded previously)
You will use the command
$ sudo ./jessie-setup
instead of $ sudo ./setup

back to the setup document until Step 9 where do do what I did in my above post.

I believe this covers everything. Let me know if you have any questions but it is working for me.

Also, a question for those who have used theirs all this time. When was the last time you thoroughly inspected and cleaned your flowmeters? I am embarassed to say that I found that two of mine were not working. I replaced them with spares I bought (which are working) and pulled an dusgusting amount of hair, lint, and other crap out of them. They now work again but yuck.

Latest posts

Back