☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what knowledge I have in travelling, and some of the descriptions they provided ("coffee shop known for a vast array of syrups - toffee anyone?!?!" *insert giggles for dramatic effect*), it definitely seems this is a list more of popularity than coffee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/best-coffee-shop-each-state_us_56981428e4b0b4eb759dd15e

Anyways, have any of you tried any of these "Best Coffee Shop..." coffees?

The Indianapolis one was easily worth a stop for breakfast, but I don't remember the coffee being anything great...

The home renovation has meant I don't have any ANY any time to roast. I've run out of everything I had around, and even went through a bag of Starbucks. Fortunately, like a gift from above, my realtor dropped off some coffee for me she picked up in Costa Rica - just as I had finished all the roasted beans I had laying around.

Pre-ground Costa Rican coffee she bought back in December.

I've had fresh CR coffee before, and it was obviously better than this old stuff she gave me, but it's always so bland and boring. I know some people love it, but I will never buy it.

Anyways, I can't complain about it - we are living off of caffiene right now and this came at the right time. All 2 lbs of it.

That is occasionally my situation too - no time to roast....

Wanted to share my opinion about the Behmor Brazen Plus coffee brewer.
Overall, it produces a more consistent coffee compared to the Technivorm. I wonder if part of it could be the age (approx 8 years old on the Technivorm) could be resulting in erratic water discharge from the reservoir. If you own a Technivorm, try inverting it over a bowl and measure how much water comes out after it has cooled between brew cycles. You will be surprised.
This variability, especially with smaller brew volumes will significantly impact the consistency of the coffee. The Behmor does retain some water and condensate between sessions, but it would seem to be much more consistent, and minimal compared with the upwards of 50ml variability I measured with the Technivorm, though I have not, as yet measured. I suspect brewing with the upper lid removed, would lead to even more consistent results as long as you brew the same volume of coffee each time, as the thermodynamics would be identical. The Technivorm having no pump, is prone to excessive variability.

TD

^y'all are just giving me more data points for never buying an auto-drip machine again... every one ive owned has been wonky. manual pour over is just too easy and delivers top quality. always worth the extra effory.

caveat - the Bunn Trifecta MB was a rockstar until the air pump went out. Bunn sent a new replacement which i immediately sold b/c i missed manual brewing. the MB was a fantastic brewer though. i would easily recommend this unit to anyone
https://homecatalog.bunn.com/produc...e-beyond-what-you-thought-possible-43300-0000

As part of this whole not having time to roast I have just been using an auto drip pot with these Preground coffees I've been drinking the last few days. Usually this brewer only makes its way onto our countertop when the parents are in town since they guzzle the coffee.

But I have to say, these past few days it's been nice waking up to hot coffee ready for me once I stumble out of the bedroom.

It doesn't taste as great as pour over, but there is a time and a place and I sure as heck found it.

Weird question. I pulled my behmor out of the pantry this past weekend to roast up some coffee. When I opened the front door and pulled the drum and chaff tray out I noticed that the little door flap thingy (highly technical name I know) that covers the place where the blower sends the air into the roaster to cool had fallen off halfway. I had to take the back end apart and get the door flap rethreaded onto the axle like pin that seems to hold it into place. The weird thing though is it appears that the axle/pin is just a straight piece of wire with a short bend on one side. There appears to be nothing holding it in on the other side. It took me quite a while to get it threaded back the way it should.

Has anyone else had this problem or noticed similar? It seems strange that they would design it this way. Shouldnt there be something like a nut or a cotter pin to keep it in place?

Weird question. I pulled my behmor out of the pantry this past weekend to roast up some coffee. When I opened the front door and pulled the drum and chaff tray out I noticed that the little door flap thingy (highly technical name I know) that covers the place where the blower sends the air into the roaster to cool had fallen off halfway. I had to take the back end apart and get the door flap rethreaded onto the axle like pin that seems to hold it into place. The weird thing though is it appears that the axle/pin is just a straight piece of wire with a short bend on one side. There appears to be nothing holding it in on the other side. It took me quite a while to get it threaded back the way it should.

Has anyone else had this problem or noticed similar? It seems strange that they would design it this way. Shouldnt there be something like a nut or a cotter pin to keep it in place?

Haven't noticed any problems with it, I'd email behmor about it, they're pretty good to deal with.

Will do. Of course that means I will have to disassemble it again to show what I meant. Was a huge PITA to get it back together again. I am honestly surprised that it didnt fall apart in transit, or before now. strange.

Tomorrows brew is about 9 grams (out of 62 total) home roast beans plus some big bag stale 8 O'clock brand to make up the complement. At least there will be caffeine... Been getting my butt kicked at work and too tired to do much at night after getting kids to their sports practice. Tomorrow is one of those need to be in an hour earlier days. Thinking about pre-grinding and programming the pot so its ready to go, seeing as how the stale as hell beans aren't going to suffer much by pregrinding.

And tomorrow is supposed to be date night so I don't think things are very hopeful for fresh roast coffee on Friday morning. I do have a pouch (that I didn't buy) of ground commercial roast (Peet's).
FML

Just finished roasting some of that Brazil Conquista for weekend espresso based drinks. Next up, decaf for the wife's weekend espresso based drinks. :)

Been mostly lurking on this thread since Santa brought me my Behmor 1600. I've had good success with that and also got a Bodum Chamboard for my other than work morning coffee. Now I'm ready to replace my 25 year old blade grinder with a conical burr. I was thinking the OXO. Any body want to endorse this one? Thanks.

I have no experience with the OXO, but a good burr grinder is light years ahead of any blade grinder. Are you going to use it for drip & press or espresso? Not all burr grinders are good for espresso.

Been mostly lurking on this thread since Santa brought me my Behmor 1600. I've had good success with that and also got a Bodum Chamboard for my other than work morning coffee. Now I'm ready to replace my 25 year old blade grinder with a conical burr. I was thinking the OXO. Any body want to endorse this one? Thanks.

I absolutely love my Oxo grinder. I've been using it daily for the last month. I wish I could find ANY fault with it, but it's perfect. I also have the Oxo 9-cup brewer which is also perfect. Let's say I'm a super fan.

If you have any questions, let them rip. Here's a couple of pics of the grinder.

_mg_1337-66797.jpg

_mg_1336-66798.jpg

I absolutely love my Oxo grinder. I've been using it daily for the last month. I wish I could find ANY fault with it, but it's perfect. I also have the Oxo 9-cup brewer which is also perfect. Let's say I'm a super fan.

If you have any questions, let them rip. Here's a couple of pics of the grinder.

That's all I needed to hear. Thanks.

I absolutely love my Oxo grinder.

A nifty feature of this grinder that I discovered yesterday: if the bean hopper empties while it's grinding, it stops, the white LED around the knob turns red. You can add more beans and tell it to continue and since it's weighing what it's grinding, it continues perfectly. Maybe others have similar feature, but it was an unexpected surprise.

That's all I needed to hear. Thanks.

_mg_1337-66797.jpg

_mg_1336-66798.jpg

Does anyone sell this for less than $199? I plan to pull the trigger Thursday.

Does anyone sell this for less than $199? I plan to pull the trigger Thursday.

That's what it cost me on Amazon.

I didn't find any cheaper, but Bed Bath and Beyond or other stores that carry the brand have coupons all the time.

E.g., go here, get on their email list, get the 20% discount, get your mill for $159.

Lots of other deals, just google the store name with the word coupon after it.

I didn't find any cheaper, but Bed Bath and Beyond or other stores that carry the brand have coupons all the time.

E.g., go here, get on their email list, get the 20% discount, get your mill for $159.

Brilliant! Thanks.

Once you're on their list, you get a 20% off coupon almost monthly. I know I see them in our mail all the time. Really great deal on that grinder using one of those!

Once you're on their list, you get a 20% off coupon almost monthly. I know I see them in our mail all the time. Really great deal on that grinder using one of those!

I've signed up. The grinder is not in-store. I will be ordering tomorrow for store pick-up.

So of course the 20% coupon is only good for in-store purchases and the grinder is not available in stores. I decided to buy it at full price online with Bed Bath and Beyond until their site told me my card information was wrong...4 times. So I ordered one from Amazon.

So of course the 20% coupon is only good for in-store purchases and the grinder is not available in stores. I decided to buy it at full price online with Bed Bath and Beyond until their site told me my card information was wrong...4 times. So I ordered one from Amazon.

I was wondering about that.

Don't worry, it's worth it. You'll love it. Life's simple joys.

That Costa Rica terrazzu is just delightful right at City+. Fruity and nutty, full bodied, big caffeine buzz off of it Friday night. One if the kids I was with on a church retreat this weekend pegged the origin while it was steeping in the press. Quite impressive, unless he's stalking me here.

(Cooper stop stalking me)

Last week was Guatemala Huehuentenango Turbante (I wonder what that all means). It was good, like all my coffee but not as good as the Brazillian peaberry (which I see was much maligned above, but I liked it).

This week I'm drinking a Tanzanian Peaberry. It's great.

Man I just love the coffee I've been making. I don't know if it's the new mill, brewer, or the beans, but I'm love love loving it.

Last week was Guatemala Huehuentenango Turbante (I wonder what that all means). It was good, like all my coffee but not as good as the Brazillian peaberry (which I see was much maligned above, but I liked it).

This week I'm drinking a Tanzanian Peaberry. It's great.

Man I just love the coffee I've been making. I don't know if it's the new mill, brewer, or the beans, but I'm love love loving it.

I hear you, I love my new obsession :D

Moved into the new house, although the renovation isn't...hmmm...quite complete. Oh well.

Hoping to roast a lot this week, as we've been buying some stuff from the grocery store. I will say, the wife picked out a bag from Lavazza (for which I gave her a really really hard time...like, looking back, I rode her too hard) which said "Light Roast". "HA!", I said, "Lavazza doesn't do a light roast." Well, I'll admit it was actually pretty delicious in the drip machine, despite being preground. I believe it was Columbian.

Ordered 10 lbs each of Ethiopia Gedeb Asasa and Kenya Nyeri Ichera, so I should be good for a couple months off those two. That Ethiopian is very highly rated (9.6/10 for Flavor).

I was wondering about that.

Don't worry, it's worth it. You'll love it. Life's simple joys.

I do love it. I have 2 French press and one drip session on it so far. It worked most awesomely.

I only wish it didn't leave so many beans behind in the grinding chamber when I want to change from one coffee type to another. Since I started roasting I haven't drank the same type twice in a row. It's a nice problem to have, though.

I do love it. I have 2 French press and one drip session on it so far. It worked most awesomely.

I only wish it didn't leave so many beans behind in the grinding chamber when I want to change from one coffee type to another. Since I started roasting I haven't drank the same type twice in a row. It's a nice problem to have, though.

I measure prior to grinding, grind till done, of course it defeats the fancy receiving scale your grinder has.

It sure looks good, doesn't it?

I only tried disassembling once while beans were in there. Yea, I know what you mean there.

I fill it with a pound, which lasts me about 1 week. Then I change to another origin. I guess I'll clean it out after the current bean is exhausted.

Back