Stc-1000+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The user maual does not give a quick summary page. I made one - at home - to quickly
show the various functions... tonight I'll post it.

It's right there in the link I posted:
By default current temperature is displayed in C or F on the display, depending on which firmware is used. Pressing the 'S' button enters the menu. Pressing button 'up' and 'down' scrolls through the menu items. Button 'S' selects and 'power' button steps back or cancels current selection.

Maybe this helps:
'S' button enters the menu and selects choices
'up' and 'down' scrolls through the menu items
'power' button steps back or cancels current selection.

Ahh, crap. Opened up my decommissioned STC1000 since I've replaced it with a BrewPi, only to discover it's an older model without the programmable headers. Booo!

Has anyone figured out a way to do a big blowoff tube with the carboy thermowell in the BBS fermentation kit? I brewed a Bavarian Hefe yesterday that's out of control. 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy & the krausen is coming out the airlock today!

Found something fun to control with stc, my boss got a new electric smoker couple days ago, and it has horrible temp control as they come

IMG_6205.jpg

Here's the short cheat sheet that I made. Okay, this isn't the file, since doc, docx, etc. are not allowed attachments. Here is the information, cut and paste.

Code:
                                                                       STC-1000+

Button	Base Controls				Menu Controls		Menu item		Profile
Pwr	        (short) ambient								        hy hystereisis
	        (HOLD) turns off/on relays		go back			        tc  temp corr	        0 lager
UP	        shows setpoint				up # or setting		dh  duration		1 Alt
DOWN	Profile # or Th(ermostat) mode   down # or setting		rn pr# or th(erm)	2 Okt
S		Select PR# or Settings menu	Select/save			SP setpoint		3 ALE
										                                cd  cool delay
												                hd  heat delay
												                rp  ramping

Sorry for the poor formatting - whatever it looks like to you. Its in 5 columns.
The profile column is what I programmed in. You will want to set your own profiles.

Are any of the units available on amazon flashable? I would think it's possible that the units supporting both Fahrenheit and Celsius are programmable if they were flashed to add that feature. For instance, this one, but that may not be the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are any of the units available on amazon flashable? I would think it's possible that the units supporting both Fahrenheit and Celsius are programmable if they were flashed to add that feature. For instance, this one, but that may not be the case.

No, and this is why.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is amazing way over my pay grade [emoji4] how can a non tech guy like me get one of these?

This thread is amazing way over my pay grade [emoji4] how can a non tech guy like me get one of these?

For the non diy guys I assemble and sell stc-1000 controllers with a few different options that are ready to go, just plug them in. Check out some of the posts and my site in my signature.

Greg

Hey guys!

I've been messing about with the ESP8266 the last few days and the result looks pretty promising.
So far, I've only got a proof of concept going, but it shows that it is doable.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6baOAZxDJU[/ame]

I show here that it is possible to reflash the STC as well as interface with the communication version of the firmware (read/write EEPROM, read temperature and relay states).

This means that for about $5 hardware (not counting the USB serial module) it is possible to upload new firmware, start/stop profiles, set profiles, log temperatures, and more. And it is small enough that it could fit inside the STC.
I'd like to design a PCB for this (it will be a pretty simple design) and put it on OSH park, so it is easy to order all the things needed to build a professional looking thingy, that just plugs in to the STC programming header. Anyone out there interested in helping out? I've never designed PCB's before...

I think this can become something pretty cool :)

Hey guys!

I've been messing about with the ESP8266 the last few days and the result looks pretty promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6baOAZxDJU

I show here that it is possible to reflash the STC as well as interface with the communication version of the firmware (read/write EEPROM, read temperature and relay states).

This means that for about $5 hardware (not counting the USB serial module) it is possible to upload new firmware, start/stop profiles, set profiles, log temperatures, and more. And it is small enough that it could fit inside the STC.
I'd like to design a PCB for this (it will be pretty simple) and put it on OSH park, so it is easy to order all the things needed to build a professional looking thingy, that just plugs in to the STC programming header. Anyone out there interested in helping out? I've never designed PCB's before...

I can help out. I have a background in board design, even manufacture 2 sided boards her in the lab on our Shapeoko 2. Shoot me a PM if you need me.

Hey guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6baOAZxDJU

I'd like to design a PCB for this (it will be pretty simple) and put it on OSH park, so it is easy to order all the things needed to build a professional looking thingy, that just plugs in to the STC programming header. Anyone out there interested in helping out? I've never designed PCB's before...

very cool! I am certainly not great with it, but for the PCB's that I use for my motorcycle stuff, I designed them and have them built through pcb123.com they provide the software for free and you can see the cost for the PCB as you are designing it. The ones that I use are about the size of a stick of gum, and at 50 at a time without green mask are in the $4-$5 each range.

I think I had a pretty good idea today. The ESP is not 5v tolerant and even though I use the simplest level converters I could come up with, it's still some extra components.
The PIC on the other hand is very 3.3 volt tolerant! So, I tried back powering the STC with 3.3v instead and it seems to work.
I've ordered a few L4931CZ33 regulators and if I'm lucky it might be able to replace the onboard 7805. If that works out ok, then it would be pretty simple to hook up the ESP :)

I read the manual but couldn't figure out how to do this:

I'm fermenting a lager with a profile that had a 7 day at 50 before ramp to 60 over 3 days. Looks like fermentation is slowing faster than I expected and I want skip from my 7 day wait to the ramp phase. How can I do this?

SP 50
St 1
dh 98

I read the manual but couldn't figure out how to do this:

I'm fermenting a lager with a profile that had a 7 day at 50 before ramp to 60 over 3 days. Looks like fermentation is slowing faster than I expected and I want skip from my 7 day wait to the ramp phase. How can I do this?

SP 50
St 1
dh 98

In the set menu, change dh to 0 and St to 1 (beginning of next step), or simply change dh to 167 (end of this step).

This project is awesome! I just put a flashable stc-1000 to use after I built a project box then found this thread. I don't have an arduino, but I have several teensy 3.1s I am building other projects with. Can I flash with that with the teensyduino library mod? If so what would the pin-out be? I went through about 1100 posts and could not read any more, to see if there was previous post about that. Thanks.

@purdman10 I don't have a teensy myself, and the chinese arduino pro mini knockoffs are so cheap, that there is no reason to not use one as a dedicated STC-1000 programmer.
Though, if you really want to use a teensy, then I wouldn't be surprised if it is possible, maybe even trivial, but I think you are on your own, I don't recall anyone else doing it before.
Cheers!

Check out the ebay seller alice1101983. I buy all kinds of arduino stuff from them. Very satisfied and the prices can't be beat. They have minis and nanos. And personally when it comes to programming I'd get a nano. It's 1:1 compatible with the uno and it has usb built in. A lot less hassle. And I think you can get them for less than $5.

I just want to say thanks to @alphaomega and @smithabusa for putting their time into this stuff so we can have accurate and affordable temp controls for our beer. Hoping I can help somehow in the future

I'm making my way through the thread...but has anyone hacked the STC to use the HOT wire from the STC power to also power the HOT wires of the Cool and Heat switches? Just want to make my setup slightly more organized if possible.

I'm making my way through the thread...but has anyone hacked the STC to use the HOT wire from the STC power to also power the HOT wires of the Cool and Heat switches? Just want to make my setup slightly more organized if possible.

It's called a wire nut. I may not be clear on what you're asking...

I think he wants to jump 1,5,7 inside the controller -on the board.

In that case I would just use some very short wires to jump them at the back of the unit at the screws/wire connector under the plastic shield thing, then have one wire come off for hot.

In that case I would just use some very short wires to jump them at the back of the unit at the screws/wire connector under the plastic shield thing, then have one wire come off for hot.

Awesome - that's what I was thinking, but didn't know if someone had a more elegant solution. Thanks!

You could always get a custom pcb made to fit your specs then carefully remove all the parts from the old one onto your new custom pcb. That would be hella elegant. But a huge waste of money and time.

So I want to get into the esp8266 stream of things. I know the stc1000+ stuff is done for fermentation control. But I like the idea of using the wifi addon for temperature readout. I want to replace the single stage controller stc knockoff I'm using in my kegerator with a flash able stc1000. Would I have to flash it to use the wifi addon or can I leave it stock and do the same. I would like to have the option to use my kegerator as a ferment chamber but I have 3 full size refrigerators for that now. I just need standard temp control. I like the idea of being able to harvest the temperature data and append it to my raspberry pints page. So you can see what's on tap and see the temperature of it as well.

What I'm really asking is. Can the stc1000+ firmware be used mainly as a static temp controller of will I have to manage a profile to do what I want?

Back