Stc-1000+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have to say I needed to google 'mikrotik'. I guess it is a network router? Yes, it was in the context of technology, but it really sounded like it was a type of infection or something :)

It is cool to hear there is some interest at least. It really was a pain to get it working.
I don't really know where to go with it yet... I guess I should try to add reading the state of the relays as well. Maybe I should work on the sketch a bit (add proper parsing) so reading and writing the eeprom is simple/intuitive.

im sure the next request (assuming you haven't already received it) would be wifi and or Bluetooth type control

im sure the next request (assuming you haven't already received it) would be wifi and or Bluetooth type control

Well, with the arduino communicating with the STC, you could do anything. It would be really cool if the arduino could be replaced with an ESP8266, that could fit inside the unit and provide wifi communication. But I'm a bit out of my waters there... I think logic levels could be a problem, as well as the actual ESP development. But yeah... It would be sweet to have web access to the thing :)

I am sure I am doing something wrong, i installed a 1K inline on the DAT line, and after flashing the pro mini, I go to serial monitor, if I type in any of the commands, nothing is returned.

I did try one of the other .ino files and am able to flash no problem the controller no problem. Any other basic steps beyond flashing sketch to the arduino and loading serial monitor?
I noticed it says com pin is 9, was thinking that the DAT line is pin 8?

Greg

Hi guys!

So I've put up a new branch of STC-1000+ (very imaginatively called 'test', as it started out as a test, but seemed to work out quite well...). I'm thinking this might actually end up in the master branch some time, but there are a few issues to iron out first.
So, what's up?
Well, from early on people have been bugging me about being able to read temperature and stuff from the STC from their computer or whatever...
I (think) I've always responded, 'it might be possible, but is beyond the scope and will be tricky'. Now, I've gotten tricky, and have after a lot of hair pulling and learning the ropes with my new scope, actually managed to get a simple one wire communication working.
So you can, from an arduino, read and write to the eeprom + get the current temperature.

Now this, comes at the expense of probe 2 (you can't use probe 2 anyway, as this is the data line that needs to be used + I need to 'steal' code space from somewhere, I'm kind of amazed it actually works out anyway...)

Documentation is so far lacking, it is still work in progress, but if you want to try it out you can find it here. There is a sketch called com.ino, that has the required code to run on the arduino + some basic examples (read temperature and setpoint).
In order for it to work, you need a pull-down resistor on ICSPCLK (or probe 2 input) to ground. 10k is fine, which incidentally (well, not really, pretty deliberately actually) is what will already be there if you are setup to use probe 2. You will need another resistor as well, about 1k, that is put in series with the ICSPDAT line from the arduino. The same pinout is used as for the programmer, so if you already have got a programmer (that is an arduino wired to program the STC), all you need is to add this resistor. You'll need it because the data line is bidirectional, and if timing or communication is a bit off both the STC and the arduino might try to drive the line in opposite directions ant might fry either of them, unless current is limited. I've tried to write 'safe' code, and maybe in time the resistor can be omitted, but for now just use it (practice safe HEX!!!).

I've prolly forgotten some vital information here, but check it out :) I'm kind of excited that it works :)

Edit: Oh yeah... If you have the programmer, and add the 1k resistor in series, it will still work fine as a programmer, so it is sort of 'transparent'. You just 'mod' your programmer a bit, and it will work for both purposes. You could probably add a say 47k resistor from ICSPDAT line to ground on the programmer as well, so it will work even if the STC is not 'dual probe' version (that has the 10k resistor in place).

Cheers!
//mats

Oh ****! I did it again... ICSPCLK god dammit!!! ICSPDAT goes to the buzzer and that's why it chirps and not just plays a tone on upload... I can't effing believe I got them mixed up once again... Sorry man... It is ICSPCLK... The one at the end of the connector.
The 1k you added to the ICSPDAT line won't hurt, if you can't undo it...
Again.. Sorry!!!

Oh ****! I did it again... ICSPCLK god dammit!!! ICSPDAT goes to the buzzer and that's why it chirps and not just plays a tone on upload... I can't effing believe I got them mixed up once again... Sorry man... It is ICSPCLK... The one at the end of the connector.
Again.. Sorry!!!

You ARE human - I knew it! ;)

Like my old college roommate used to say about my major: It's "Confuser Science". He wasn't far off. He also liked to say "To err is human. To really f--- things up requires a computer".

Again.. Sorry!!!

oddly enough I switched the 1k resistor over and still get the same result. I can flash the stc-1000 no problem so not sure what is going on as it would seem the connections are all fine

im trying this with my pro-mini, doesn't require the uno or anything like that correct?

Ok so what you do is get the picprog_com.ino upload it and flash the stc. Then get the com.ino sketch and upload it. Open serial monitor and you should be able to send 't' to read back the temperature.
Note that you need to have a pulldown resistor on the ICSPCLK line (like the 10k already on the dual probe version). Without a pulldown it wont work.
Edit: oh, and you can't have a probe connected on that line (probe 2) either.

Ok so what you do is get the picprog_com.ino upload it and flash the stc. Then get the com.ino sketch and upload it. Open serial monitor and you should be able to send 't' to read back the temperature.
Note that you need to have a pulldown resistor on the ICSPCLK line (like the 10k already on the dual probe version). Without a pulldown it wont work.

Hmm weird yeah I have a 10k in the dual probe spot and now the 1k in the correct spot, cut the wire and inserted 1k inline

Where does it return the temp in the serial monitor screen?

Originally I hadn't flashed the picprog_com.ino to the STC.

I tried that, then loaded com.ino to the pro-mini and go to serial monitor, no response yet, still user error I am sure, just not sure what.

I have the 10K SMT resistor at R3 already, no secondary probe hooked up

I got it to read now, I hit "t" then hit enter, many times before it would display, I probably hit t enter 100 times to get the readings in the pic

stctemp.jpg

Do you have a line ending selected?
I have changed the sketch a bit, to read lines, so it needs a line ending selected.
Cool you got it running at least :)

Oh, and I'm sorry that you had to struggle with it. But at least it helps me to better know the pitfalls when time comes to write documentation.

I am currently working on the com sketch and will need to tweak some things a bit more, but this is shaping up real fast...

Do you have a line ending selected?
I have changed the sketch a bit, to read lines, so it needs a line ending selected.
Cool you got it running at least :)

Oh you are right, much better now :) I couldn't remember where to turn line ending on, staring me right in the face in the serial monitor

Pretty cool!

stctemp2.jpg

Oh, and I'm sorry that you had to struggle with it. But at least it helps me to better know the pitfalls when time comes to write documentation.

I am currently working on the com sketch and will need to tweak some things a bit more, but this is shaping up real fast...

No apologies please, you are the one dedicating all of your time to this stuff :)

Sorry for the redundancy of my question, but after browsing this huge thread I still have a few questions regarding a fermentation chamber build in a chest freezer. My basement is currently too cool, what is the best heat source inside the freezer? Where should my temp probe be located? I've heard securing it to side of bucket with some insulating material between it and open air inside freezer.

I use a ceramic bulb. Works great.

Hi again!

So, I have actually updated the test branch with yet another new version of the firmware.
This time I have had a go at implementing the Fine Offset Wireless sensor protocol.

What you do is download the picprog_fo433.ino sketch. Upload it to the STC as normal.

Connect an RF transmitter (power, ground and data line to ICSPCLK). Every 48 seconds it then spits out the temperature (and the state of the relays as humidity) over 433Mhz.
I have a Tellstick Duo already connected to a Raspberry Pi, that I use for some basic home automation. And this will happily read my STC as a temp/humidity sensor.

Now, I don't really know how this work in the states, if you use 315Mhz, and if software will be confused if the temp is in Fahrenheit. But, if this is of any use to anyone else, I guess I'll find out :)

Cheers!
//mats

This new RF test is awesome! Once I get home in a few weeks, I may have to get into flashing my brew by smith to solder in a transmitter.

Just curious, do you ever think there would be a way to add a receiver on the STC and change the set points over RF? I would love to help on the Raspberry Pi side if I can get the RF working in a month to create a temperature dashboard.

Cheers!

This new RF test is awesome! Once I get home in a few weeks, I may have to get into flashing my brew by smith to solder in a transmitter.

Just curious, do you ever think there would be a way to add a receiver on the STC and change the set points over RF? I would love to help on the Raspberry Pi side if I can get the RF working in a month to create a temperature dashboard.

Cheers!

Cool :)

If you have the programming header soldered in place, all you need (except for the transmitter) is a few female dupont wires.

Sure, it could be done, but not in this 'simple' way. You'd be better off starting with the communication firmware 'picprog_com.ino' and modify the 'com.ino' sketch to do what you want.
I suppose, if one would be willing to give up the alarm, that pin could be used for RX, but still I think the protocol would need to be custom then.
The beauty of this simple 'hack', is that it will integrate nicely with existing tellstick/rfxcom home automation solutions and the simplicity of the hardware setup.

Hi All, awesome hack this, really impressed. One quick question, I live in South Africa, and our power supply is pretty unreliable. As in we lose a couple of hours per day. I know with the stc 1000 standard, it just defaults back to its last set point, what happens with the 1000p if the power goes out?

Hi All, awesome hack this, really impressed. One quick question, I live in South Africa, and our power supply is pretty unreliable. As in we lose a couple of hours per day. I know with the stc 1000 standard, it just defaults back to its last set point, what happens with the 1000p if the power goes out?

It should do the same thing. If it was running a profile, it would resume the profile from last 'one hour' mark (i.e. it saves running state once per hour).

Would it be possible to do this using hc-05 bluetooth serial dongles?

Those dongles are nothing but a wireless serial adapter. That is, it is no different from the controllers point of view than a normal serial line. I don't want to say it is impossible, but for one, implementing serial in software will be tough given the limited resources. Secondly you'd need two lines (rx and tx), so you'd need to remove the buzzer, losing the alarm function.
I really think that for WiFi, serial, or pretty much anything else, you'd be better off connecting the STC with an arduino pro mini using the communication firmware and use the arduino as the bridge to do what you really want.

I have only read a fraction of the 180 or so pages yet...

1 quick question...

Is it known if the "Lerway" branded STC-1000... is the flashable type ?
(Are there any reports or people with experience using this unit?)
(Are Lerways known to be made with both flashable and non-flashable types?)

I am looking to buy another unit to flash in the next few days...
if the outlook is good.

:)

Just wanted chip in my $0.02 of praise for alphaomega and this project. You're a freakin' genius and are due a ton of thanks and even more beer (fermented under strict temp control of course).

I went out, bought an arduino, pins and wires. Everything worked great and I'm now running 1000+ with a 12V build I've got to both heat and cool a waterbath-jacket using an iceprobe.

Now, I've got this arduino sitting here... I hope I can find a way to eventually contribute to this project.

I just hope I can sell my Johnson 2 Stage controller.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS ****ING AWSOME!

20150419_103231.jpg

I have only read a fraction of the 180 or so pages yet...

1 quick question...

Is it known if the "Lerway" branded STC-1000... is the flashable type ?
(Are there any reports or people with experience using this unit?)
(Are Lerways known to be made with both flashable and non-flashable types?)

I am looking to buy another unit to flash in the next few days...
if the outlook is good.

:)

Yeah, you really need to go back and read every single post with care first :)

I'm sorry I really can't tell you anything regarding your question, except that the same probably holds true for Elitech. Just as you say 'branded'. They probably buy cheapest they can. It might be from the same manufacturer, but I don't think there are any guarantees.

Just wanted chip in my $0.02 of praise for alphaomega and this project. You're a freakin' genius and are due a ton of thanks and even more beer (fermented under strict temp control of course).

I went out, bought an arduino, pins and wires. Everything worked great and I'm now running 1000+ with a 12V build I've got to both heat and cool a waterbath-jacket using an iceprobe.

Now, I've got this arduino sitting here... I hope I can find a way to eventually contribute to this project.

I just hope I can sell my Johnson 2 Stage controller.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS ****ING AWSOME!

Thank you for noticing (the genius part I mean) :)
That looks like a pretty sweet build, man. Kudos! Is it 12V all the way? I mean the heater is 12V and the STC modified for 12V? If so then is really good!

Cheers!

Yes, I flashed a 12V STC and run it off of the power supply of the "IceProbe" ( a 12V peltier chiller). The STC wired to a DPDT relay reverses current to the IceProbe to heat when needed. A rectifier keeps the fan going in the right direction whether heating/cooling.

There is a tiny fountain pump in the cooler keeping the water recirculating and that's 110V. I really wanted all 12V so I tried one of those cheap 12V pumps but it was too noisy.

I *think* the 12V stc just has 2 jumper wires in place of that transformer.

Even better, using the iceprobe for heating as well. And clever use of the rectifier bridge. Very nice! I like it!
Do you need the pump? What happens without it?

Without the circulation pump the temps really stratify inside -- like more than 5F. I noticed this informally but doing a formal study w/ a bunch of sensors might be the next arduino project (and challenge as I'm not a hardware person).

Circulating the water w/ a quiet $12 fountain pump, the peltier cooling/heating is more efficient, temps stay homogenous and I've never noticed more than 1F difference between the water and the beer, even during active fermentation.

Since water needs to circulate, I can't help but wonder about cooling w/ a couple of peltiers mounted on either side of a CPU water cooling block and recirculating through that w/ the same little fountain pump. The Ice Probes are pricey and about 15F drop is the max for this setup.

Without the circulation pump the temps really stratify inside -- like more than 5F. I noticed this informally but doing a formal study w/ a bunch of sensors might be the next arduino project (and challenge as I'm not a hardware person).

Circulating the water w/ a quiet $12 fountain pump, the peltier cooling/heating is more efficient, temps stay homogenous and I've never noticed more than 1F difference between the water and the beer, even during active fermentation.

Since water needs to circulate, I can't help but wonder about cooling w/ a couple of peltiers mounted on either side of a CPU water cooling block and recirculating through that w/ the same little fountain pump. The Ice Probes are pricey and about 15F drop is the max for this setup.

Yes, the water may stratify, but I wonder if the fermenting beer will. And by the time it isn't fermenting anymore, then it won't matter.
But there is nothing wrong with using a pump, I just thought it would be one less thing.
Using multiple external pelts, you could get better power efficiency, and/or faster cooling, But 15-20F temp diff is probably about what you can hope for with any pelt setup.

Anyone have any sure leads on the A400 v1.0 or v1.1 boards?
We're holding a DIY series on controls with the club, and some folks are starting to ask about availability. Will seems to be out, and BBS only has flashed ones. We're doing hands on with them. I'd grab 10 on a 'sure thing'. I've got plenty you can't program already!

We're holding a DIY series on controls with the club, and some folks are starting to ask about availability. Will seems to be out, and BBS only has flashed ones. We're doing hands on with them. I'd grab 10 on a 'sure thing'. I've got plenty you can't program already!

Ill have 100 of them in less than a week, I won't be flashing them, not all of them anyway to help guys here with a guaranteed source. Bad news is that 100 at a time I am l ayibg more for them than you can buy them for online, difference being we know that the ones I'm getting are the correct ones for alphas software.

A valued member here picked some up back in the beginning of march.

See post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6735657&postcount=1720

Ill have 100 of them in less than a week, I won't be flashing them, not all of them anyway to help guys here with a guaranteed source. Bad news is that 100 at a time I am l ayibg more for them than you can buy them for online, difference being we know that the ones I'm getting are the correct ones for alphas software.

Sounds good to me. I'll have a better feel for the qty by then too.
Will they be listed on your site, or contact you?

Yeah, found that, but nervous their source has changed. I've struck out on 'the same seller' already!

Totally agree. Sketchy for sure since you can't be certain, and since you have smithabusa as an option I would opt for that also. I think he and I were posting at the same time.

Back