Saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you find that brews made with Saaz seem smoother when you use hallertaur in a simular amount as Saaz hops?

I've been using a blend of Saaz, Halletaur and Tettenger and have been finding it a much smoother mix. So far I've been using all three in roughly equel amounts.

it's a good combo. there's a Texas Micro called Real Ale Brewing Co., and they have a Rio Blanco Pale Ale hopped with the Saaz (and i think the Halletaur too). very good, pale ale. smooth, but has a nice hop presence.

OK. You convinced me. In the next "generic" batch I brew (not a Weizen of something special) I'll try the combination of 3 hops. :D

Probably just a plain pilsner. I should be doing a Czech Budvar soon. Maybe I'll make a second batch and use the 3 hops. :D

Thanks.

I've been to Budweis (Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic) several times just to drink the original Bud. When I lived in Bamberg, Germany the CZ Rep was only a 1.5 hour drive from my place. A 1/2 liter of Bud at a gasthaus was only a whopping 53 cents! I used to spent $3-5 for my entertainment... :drunk:

This is from “Brew Classic European Beers At Home” book, page 124.

Budweiser - Budvar
True Budweis lager. Spritzy aroma of hops and gentle fruit. Quenching, beautifully balanced in the mouth, bitter-sweet finish with light vanilla notes.

OG: 1048 / 11.9 Plato

Lager malt (Pilsen):
25 liters – 5,300 gm / 23 liters – 4,900 gm / 5 UK gals – 10.65 lb / 5 US gals – 8.85 lb (approx 5.4 lb DME)

Start of Boil: Saaz hops
25 liters – 50 gm / 23 liters – 45gm / 5 UK gals – 1.5 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Last 15 mins of Boil add Irish Moss
25 liters – 10 gm / 23 liters – 10 gm / 5 UK gals – .35 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Brewing Method: Temperature-stepped infusion or double concoction mash. Bottom working lager yeast.

Mash Schedule:
50C – 20 mins (122F)
60C – 40 mins (140F)
70C – 40 mins (158F)

Boil Time: 90 mins

(Yeast is not mentioned and I used White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast #WLP802 )

Racking Gravity: 1011 / 2.7 Plato

Alcohol Content: 5.0% ABV / 4.0% ABW

Bitterness: 20 EBU

Color: 4 EBU

Lager for 3 months.

Here's another one I did that was very tasty but had more body:

Brewer: Bill Elwell Email: [email protected]

Beer: 5001 - Billvar - Czech Budvar Style: Czech Pilsner
Type: Extract Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 5 IBU

OG: 1.057 FG: 1.006
Alcohol: 6.6% v/v (5.2% w/w)

Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.210 1.5 gallons
7 lb. Extra Light DME
2 tsp Irish Moss and 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient added for last 15 mins of boil.

Hops:
1.5 oz. Saaz (3.0% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.0% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.0% AA, 15 min.)

Yeast: Yeast Starter - 1 vial of White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast #WLP802 and 16 oz of the same yeast from a primary from 16 Oct 04.

Brew date: 15 Jan 05

Added all malts and 1.5 oz Saaz hop pellets at the time of boil.
Added .5 oz Saaz hops at 30 mins into boil.
Added .5 oz Saaz hops, Irish Moss and Yeast Nutrient at 45 mins into boil.

Sparged wort through a bucket net with the 4 gals of water from freezer.

Temp: 76F
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.006

Added Yeast and stirred for several minutes.

Transferred to the secondary on 3 Feb 05 (18 days in primary).
Gravity at 1.004, no temp taken.

Added 2 tsp Polyclar

Bottled: 8 Mar 05.
Conditioned until 24 Mar 05.

I also made a batch where I left the beer in the secondary for 100 days.

I will probably brew another batch of this soon. :D

Have you ever tried sterling hops?
They are supposed to be a crossbreed of Saaz and Hallerteau and a little something american for heartiness.
I brewed my first pilsner with sterlings last year and was very happy with the results.

I just recently changed to using whole hops rather than pellets. I think the most dramatic aspect is the wonderful aroma that comes from using whole hops. I favor the Saaz, Tettnang and Willamette. But, whole hops are definitely preferred.

For the purists, yes I would like to be brewing with whole grains. But limited space , finances, time etc prevent that.

as long as we are brewing and be creative, productive, and gett'n a buzz!!!!
i agree on the whole hops. especialy when you dry hop.......mmmmm......

Has anyone tried a mix of Saaz and Cascade? I have a batch fermenting that I used Cascade in the boil, put Saaz in with 20 minutes left and Cascade for finishing. I was supposed to use the Saaz for finishing, but, OOPS! Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has tried the combo.

The big 3, Saaz, Hallertau and Tettnanger are excellent, separately or in any combo. Definately use them in your lagers!!
I have used Sterling many times and love 'em! While I find them to have some Saaz-ness about them, I also find they work in conjunction with a wide variety of hops. I have used Sterling in an ESB with Brit hops, used them in another bitter as the sole hop (a friend made that recipe and won BOS in a comp) and have used them with noble hops and they were great there too! Sterling is easily one of my favorite hops!!

homebrewer_99 said:
I've been to Budweis (Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic) several times just to drink the original Bud. When I lived in Bamberg, Germany the CZ Rep was only a 1.5 hour drive from my place. A 1/2 liter of Bud at a gasthaus was only a whopping 53 cents! I used to spent $3-5 for my entertainment... :drunk:

This is from “Brew Classic European Beers At Home” book, page 124.

Budweiser - Budvar
True Budweis lager. Spritzy aroma of hops and gentle fruit. Quenching, beautifully balanced in the mouth, bitter-sweet finish with light vanilla notes.

OG: 1048 / 11.9 Plato

Lager malt (Pilsen):
25 liters – 5,300 gm / 23 liters – 4,900 gm / 5 UK gals – 10.65 lb / 5 US gals – 8.85 lb (approx 5.4 lb DME)

Start of Boil: Saaz hops
25 liters – 50 gm / 23 liters – 45gm / 5 UK gals – 1.5 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Last 15 mins of Boil add Irish Moss
25 liters – 10 gm / 23 liters – 10 gm / 5 UK gals – .35 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Brewing Method: Temperature-stepped infusion or double concoction mash. Bottom working lager yeast.

Mash Schedule:
50C – 20 mins (122F)
60C – 40 mins (140F)
70C – 40 mins (158F)

Boil Time: 90 mins

(Yeast is not mentioned and I used White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast #WLP802 )

Racking Gravity: 1011 / 2.7 Plato

Alcohol Content: 5.0% ABV / 4.0% ABW

Bitterness: 20 EBU

Color: 4 EBU

Lager for 3 months.

Here's another one I did that was very tasty but had more body:

Brewer: Bill Elwell Email: [email protected]

Beer: 5001 - Billvar - Czech Budvar Style: Czech Pilsner
Type: Extract Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 5 IBU

OG: 1.057 FG: 1.006
Alcohol: 6.6% v/v (5.2% w/w)

Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.210 1.5 gallons
7 lb. Extra Light DME
2 tsp Irish Moss and 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient added for last 15 mins of boil.

Hops:
1.5 oz. Saaz (3.0% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.0% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.0% AA, 15 min.)

Yeast: Yeast Starter - 1 vial of White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast #WLP802 and 16 oz of the same yeast from a primary from 16 Oct 04.

Brew date: 15 Jan 05

Added all malts and 1.5 oz Saaz hop pellets at the time of boil.
Added .5 oz Saaz hops at 30 mins into boil.
Added .5 oz Saaz hops, Irish Moss and Yeast Nutrient at 45 mins into boil.

Sparged wort through a bucket net with the 4 gals of water from freezer.

Temp: 76F
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.006

Added Yeast and stirred for several minutes.

Transferred to the secondary on 3 Feb 05 (18 days in primary).
Gravity at 1.004, no temp taken.

Added 2 tsp Polyclar

Bottled: 8 Mar 05.
Conditioned until 24 Mar 05.

I also made a batch where I left the beer in the secondary for 100 days.

I will probably brew another batch of this soon. :D

Budvar is my favorite beer of all time -- I drank a good amount of it when I was in Prague last year.

I want to try one of these recipes but I have a few questions for you:

Where can I get "Pilsen lager malt"? I've never seen this before.

Also, should I use distilled water in this boil, to mimmick the super-soft water in Czech?

In my clone of Cheesefood's Caramel Creme I used 1oz Cascade to bitter, 1oz Saaz for flavor and 1oz Hallertau for aroma. We shall see!!

jettaman said:
Has anyone tried a mix of Saaz and Cascade? I have a batch fermenting that I used Cascade in the boil, put Saaz in with 20 minutes left and Cascade for finishing. I was supposed to use the Saaz for finishing, but, OOPS! Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has tried the combo.

Yup, I use this combo in my raspberry wheat beers, with the saaz as the finishing hops and the cascade to take a little bite out of the berry sweetness--works well for the fruit beer.

My German Pale ale used Perle for bittering and Saaz for flavor/aroma. I will be using that combination again, it turned out great!

I'll agree, Budvar is one of my fav beers of all time. I drank quite a bit in Berlin when I used to visit there. It is difficult to find in America, I think because of the Budweiser competition.

I would love to be able to brew this beer. Is the first recipe a pretty good clone?

alesucker

one of local beer shops actually carries the chechvar. in my mind, the american labeled brew does not quite live up to the memory of the budvar i enjoyed in berlin with my buddy ken and a little local german hottie bringing us cool brews on a late fall sunny afternoon...

and at over 8 bucks a sixer in my little town, it wasn't near the deal we got back then in DM either!

ha!

Saaz definitely are pretty spicy, but they do have a bit of a bite, compared to Hallertauer. Just about everything does. I still love them, though. Try FWH with Saaz, and you just might like the effect.

I also love Sterling.

I need to get some lagers going.

TL

Back