Just for Fun Gear Whore List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So just for the heck of it I created a list for what I, a brand new brewer, think I would need to create a full grain to glass homebrew setup. I probably have it all wrong since I have only brewed a few extract batches, but all the costs were from real internet vendors that I found. I didn't look at all for deals and I wasn't looking for dream quality stuff, but don't think I was cheaping out either. All prices are for new equipment.

Chest Freezer – $199.00
Stand Up Freezer - $429.99
2 Cornelius Kegs (On deck) - $150.00
2 Temp Controllers – $159.98
2 Five Gallon Glass Big Mouth Bubblers – $99.98
8 Gallon Brew Kettle and 8 Gallon Hot Liquor Tank - $68.90 X 2, $137.80
7 Gallon MLT – $129.99
Sparge Arm - $42.95
Propane Burner – $116.99
Propane Tank – $32.99
CO2 Canister – $65.00
Corny Keg 2 Tap System (with faucets) – $359.99
Drip Tray – $39.99
Hardware and Instrument Allowance – $150.00
Copper Chiller - $59.99

Total Cost – $2174.64

Edited to add Chiller Cost

Feel free to shred my list, it was just for fun.:mug:

Need larger kettles, at least 2 burners, testing equipment, pump? Hoses, quick disconnects, temperature controllers..... Lots of additional items. I have to admit this may not be a popular thread, laying out the true cost of this hobby..... Although it can and has been done much cheaper.

Looks like you've got a good jump on your list! Congrats! Im assuming 5 gallon batches? If so, I would rethink your kettle sizes. With my 5 gallon batches I shoot for 5.5 gallons into the fermenter, and I get about 1.75gals boil off which takes me up to just shy of 7.5 gals pre-boil. With an 8 gallon boil kettle there would be little to no room for boiling/hot break. I originally bought an 8 gal kettle for boils and learned that boil overs were no fun and switched to a 16 gal boil kettle (bayou, nothing fancy. Works great). Overkill? Probably. But now I always get a nice hot break with no worries of boil overs. An 8 gallon MLT may be a little too small as well, but cant really speak to that since I use a cooler setup for my mash tun. Good luck

you can do that for well under half that price with DIY and buying used. and you need more stuff, i promise.

Back