iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to supply power if the diode is removed.
You might try pressing reset/flash button in D1 just after starting flash.

Does anyone know if it's possible to direct the logging of data to Google Sheets or another cloud-based site (like Ubidots) but that is free to use? I know that some people log data from their Tilt device to the Google cloud.

gromitdj, Thank you for the offer, but I have a local source for 3D printing.

Does anyone know if it's possible to direct the logging of data to Google Sheets or another cloud-based site (like Ubidots) but that is free to use? I know that some people log data from their Tilt device to the Google cloud.

gromitdj, Thank you for the offer, but I have a local source for 3D printing.
Hi

I have done a example where you store the data in a mysql database at you own server / machine. The code could be changed to add the data to a google sheet.

The code could be found:
https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/issues/80

/Jesper

@Mikmonken, I was wondering if you would consider a V2.1 of your spindle board for a specific reason: I've have never had success in my first attempt while soldering the temperature sensor, since the holes are so close to each other.

Did someone else face something like this?

@Mikmonken, I was wondering if you would consider a V2.1 of your spindle board for a specific reason: I've have never had success in my first attempt while soldering the temperature sensor, since the holes are so close to each other.

Is it just a case that the solder is spreading too far over the pads, if so you may be able to heat the solder up again and then suck off the wet solder, which will likely leave enough in the holes to keep the probe in place but prevent the short?

I've not had an issue myself, and don't have the parts to build and retest another board (or the time to do it quickly, but might be worth trying the above first?

I've updated and uploaded the board per your request. You can order version 2.1 of the board @ PCBs.IO.

iSpindel V2.1

Hi,

I am working on a "temperature chamber" that will be used for controlling temperature in the fermentation process. The "brain" will be an Wifi enabled Arduino. As I would like to have information from iSpindel on Ubidots and also have Arduino to have as much as possible precise temperature, I have added a possibility to configure two separated uploads. So connecting Arduino and iSpindel on the same Wifi, I'll configure iSpindel to send data to Arduino and Ubidots at the same time. I have also added some nice auto-refresh on iSpindel reset, firmware upload and added "home" button on all menues. I made all this upgrades on version 5.8.2 of iSpindel firmware.
So if someone needs similar functionality, just let me know:) I have also added "issue" on ispindel github..

This is a solved problem, there are a few different solutions, https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess is very good, it can receive iSpindel data and includes gravity on the fermentation temp chart.

Have found that before but from the documentation:
"The report period of iSpindel should be less than 1-3 minutes." it would drain iSpindel battery too fast:( Perhaps I'll use that as a "base" and make additional changes in firmware to have at least 15 minutes iSpindel send timeout...
I am also having in mind to add a possibility for iSpindel check a link if there is an new config that can be downloaded. If found, download, replace the old one and reboot...

Have found that before but from the documentation:
"The report period of iSpindel should be less than 1-3 minutes." it would drain iSpindel battery too fast:( Perhaps I'll use that as a "base" and make additional changes in firmware to have at least 15 minutes iSpindel send timeout...
I am also having in mind to add a possibility for iSpindel check a link if there is an new config that can be downloaded. If found, download, replace the old one and reboot...

That is for the temperature of iSpindle as beer temp sensor. I don’t think you can have other solution that can do better if you want to use it to control temperature.

Any one uses iSpindle under pressure? I am thinking about auto spunding function based on gravity, but I am not sure if iSpindel can withstand the pressure.

Is there anyone, who used a 220kohm resistor instead of the 230kohm one? What is the result? If it is only a little difference in temperature, I could live with it. Otherwise I need to buy 10 kohm resistors, too. (noone is selling 230 ones in my country)

Is there anyone, who used a 220kohm resistor instead of the 230kohm one? What is the result? If it is only a little difference in temperature, I could live with it. Otherwise I need to buy 10 kohm resistors, too. (noone is selling 230 ones in my country)

220k works perfect, mine has had no issues

You can use any resistor as low as 125Ohm (limiting current to 40mA when input voltage is 5V). But as it is used only for measuring input voltage (so no much current needed) 100kOhm and more are good choice also keeping in mind not to go to much low with current (so not with very big resistor)...

That is for the temperature of iSpindle as beer temp sensor. I don’t think you can have other solution that can do better if you want to use it to control temperature.

Ahh, didn't get that the beer temp sensor would be the one in the iSpindel.

Morfeus

You can connect a beer temp sensor (via a thermowell) directly to a brewpiless. I ran an iSpindel at 300 second intervals for a month and the battery didn't run out.

Sam, the creator of iSpindel, said that he had 14 day run time by 15 second report period.
For temperature control, the shorter period, the better. I wonder how much the temperature of beer would rise by 15 minutes.

I've been considering iSpindel for awhile now, but the largest hang up for me is the containers. With Fermentrack now supporting iSpindel, I am revisiting.

Has anybody looked into and found anything better to house the hardware? Ideally something stainless, or glass with internally threaded end cap.

I've come across a number of interesting products on alibaba. This one is perhaps the most interesting. Looks about the same size as a bottle pre-form, but borosilicate, with internal threading on the end...

https://boglass.en.alibaba.com/prod...m=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.43.2c5f7744MNatEJ

I've been considering iSpindel for awhile now, but the largest hang up for me is the containers. With Fermentrack now supporting iSpindel, I am revisiting.

Has anybody looked into and found anything better to house the hardware? Ideally something stainless, or glass with internally threaded end cap.

I've come across a number of interesting products on alibaba. This one is perhaps the most interesting. Looks about the same size as a bottle pre-form, but borosilicate, with internal threading on the end...

https://boglass.en.alibaba.com/prod...m=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.43.2c5f7744MNatEJ

I just finished building my first iSpindel and am calibrating it now. Looking at it I can understand your reluctance to use plastic due to potential scratches and cleaning issues. It's fairly large so ironically I can only use it in a plastic bucket or my Fermentasaurus plastic fermenter.

It seems to me that a container made from SS would suffer from very poor wifi performance acting as a faraday shield.

The borosilicate glass idea may have more potential but without testing I could only speculate on some issues.
1) - The one posted seems much slimmer than the XXL Pelting (40mm x 122mm inside). Wemos D1 or the Esp-Wroom-02 WeMos D1 are both about 26mm wide. So it needs to be at least that large ID and would require a redesigned sled.
2) - The extra weight of the glass may affect the balance or tilt
3) - The threads seem external on the one you suggested, however you would need a cap that perhaps had a o-ring or gasket to insure a watertight seal as glass threads can usually be less than precise.
4) - The price is attractive but that is a min 500 piece order. You may be able to obtain a sample or two though from the manufacturer.

Good luck and I hope you try it out and report back. Keep innovating!

I use plastic typically, but in a couple of weeks I'm planning a brew in my corny keg so will use the tilt and post how I get on for you.

Hi,

as written before, I was able to make iSpindel to pull configuration file from remote server:) It is a POST request with name and chipID also containing current iSpindel configuration. Server can then change some (or all) values and return json back to iSpindel. Json is then validated and saved as new configuration. Server can also return empty string and then the config remains current. As for now, I have done this POST to be called every time iSpindel sends data to configured destination.

With the completion of the guided calibration workflow within Fermentrack I figured that I would give it a try and see if it actually worked the way that I expected. That said, while it worked perfectly, I'm not sure if what I'm seeing in terms of responsiveness to change in SG is correct:

Screenshot 2018-03-07 23.04.17.png

Does this small change in tilt align with what other people see with their iSpindels, or is mine less responsive than one might hope?

With the completion of the guided calibration workflow within Fermentrack I figured that I would give it a try and see if it actually worked the way that I expected. That said, while it worked perfectly, I'm not sure if what I'm seeing in terms of responsiveness to change in SG is correct:

View attachment 561329

Does this small change in tilt align with what other people see with their iSpindels, or is mine less responsive than one might hope?
It might be that you need to add a small weight at the "lower part" of the sledge, opposite the battery. That is what I had to do to get "more tilt" on my iSpindle.

YMMV

peram

View attachment 561329

In water the iSpindel needs to be around 20 degrees tilt, yours looks like it’s around 80degrees so definitely a bit of weight in the bottom. Car wheel balancing weights works a treat and over in the UK have adhesive on the back too.

But to answer your question small changes in tilt do result in big changes in gravity.

Yeah, you need to get that angle to about 20° in plain water according to what I've read. I ordered the weights @Mikmonken is talking about and they are perfect. The ones I ordered even come in 5g and 10g. I had to use a combination and move the location around to get them just right.

I've got extras I could send you, if interested.

ETA: I just noticed the ones I ordered are no longer available, but these should be the same: VTR 1/4oz Grey Lead Free Adhesive Backed Wheel Weights

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one uses iSpindle under pressure? I am thinking about auto spunding function based on gravity, but I am not sure if iSpindel can withstand the pressure.
Hi, I've just discovered this thread. I'm the developer of the generic TCP Server for the iSpindel and one of the contributors to the iSpindel project:
https://github.com/DottoreTozzi/iSpindel-TCP-Server
Nice to see that it has crossed the "pond". :mug:

@pocketmon: I have an iSpindel floating inside an Ss Brewtech Unitank at 15 PSI. No problems whatsoever.

I have an iSpindel floating inside an Ss Brewtech Unitank at 15 PSI. No problems whatsoever.

May I ask what model of D1 Mini you chose to run inside stainless?
I don't want to run into any low signal issues, but also don't want a model that requires a U.FL antenna unless necessary.

Cheers!

The regular D1 Mini (not the Pro version).
The Pro's ceramics antenna doesn't work as well under these conditions.
If the signal strength is too low, you can use a repeater (preferably mounted above the fermenter's lid) or a Raspberry Pi or something similar.
With the latest firmware update, WiFi signal strength is being transmitted along with tilt, temperature and the other data.

i would actually say the Pro for the antenna plug, added one to all my wemos and never had signal issues again, cant really complain about them since its they are only $6 for the wemos

Does anyone have a copy/paste build/part list they can share? It seems there are some variances based on which sled is used/

Here's what I bought:
I'd suggest buying batteries with the solder tabs on them rather than the ones I did. I ended up needing to squeeze battery contacts into the sled because I didn't want to risk soldering directly to the battery itself. None of the resistors are in this list since I had those on hand already. I did swap out the 470 ohm resistor for a BAT43 diode as suggested.

Robert

Here's what I bought:
I'd suggest buying batteries with the solder tabs on them rather than the ones I did. I ended up needing to squeeze battery contacts into the sled because I didn't want to risk soldering directly to the battery itself. None of the resistors are in this list since I had those on hand already. I did swap out the 470 ohm resistor for a BAT43 diode as suggested.

Robert
Thank you so much

Back