Fruit in secondary IPA, yeast re-activated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefwigms

Reaction score
Note: *didn't really search because I noticed this last night at midnight and was busy at work all day*

I brewed a citrus IPA that sat in primary fermentation about ~2.5 weeks (brewed July 15th). I moved it to secondary early last week, and added ~3 lbs of pineapple puree in on Sunday - everything looked fine Monday. I checked last night before bed and saw this:

pineapple.jpg

I put a new airlock on the cap with starsan (sanitized), but I'm worried that this will give off flavors due to the sugars in the pineapple fermenting (I don't remember if I resanitized the bottom of the cap when I took it off to add the pineapple - i'm pretty sure I did). At most, it'd been active 3 days.

Should I cold crash when I get home tonight, or is it too late?

Any other ideas? :mad:

Here's the recipe i used:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/216992/centennial-citra-ipa

Last edited:
May end up drier than expected and the fruit may end up lending a different taste than you were expecting. I'm actually brewing up a pineapple pale this weekend and will be adding the pineapple after cold crashing to cease further fermentation. If you're kegging, I'd suggest doing that, if bottling you prob need to let it ferment out.
Off topic, what is your ferm fridge? Is it was wine/beverage cooler? I'm looking at getting another fridge and that seems pretty nice. Will it get down to cold crash temps?

Yeah - consensus from people i've asked is to taste, then cold crash if its okay ( looks like the US-05 yeast can go to 12%).
The fermentation chamber is a Vassani wine cooler (don't know if they sell them anymore) - I think this was the thread I built off of

Back