☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoy your roast time.
Your B button looks like it gets used a lot like mine. How much are you roasting? I normally do 1/2 pound batches, but due to time constraints with an upcoming trip I roasted 3 one pound batches last night. I'll find out soon how they turned out.

It did for the first 3 months and I have since been trialing p1 auto. I don’t touch it when there since it will never overheat. Results seem ok.

I do a 1lb charge.

I bet they taste excellent!

I have never used one, but for a bigger batch what if you stop halfway through or more and stir them up if it doesn't turn fast enough?

I actually did a 20 oz charge tonight since the beans were on their last leg. We shall see tomorrow how they turned out. I see people doing 18 oz, so...

IMG_1518147715.738785.jpg

Roasted some konga in the cold today. I keep taking it a little too far. The blueberry flavors become very mute the darker goes. It rewards the dark roast though with some chocolatey overtones. The Nicaraguan I bought from bohdi Leaf last week is splendid. It makes me think there's more than just Ethiopian. Cheers.[emoji2]
20180210_075417.jpg

I've been messing around with bourbon-resting my beans. Over time I've tried a few different things - roasting the beans then resting them on bourbon; resting them on bourbon for a couple days; resting them on bourbon for a week, etc. I've got my ratio figured out of what I like in a coffee/bourbon perspective, making sure it tastes like a hearty coffee but with the good caramel, vanilla flavor of the bourbon.

The latest thing I did was two different batches: 8 oz of Brazil beans rested for 1 week on Makers 46 and another batch rested 1 week on Trader Joe's bourbon. Basically wanted to see how much the quality of bourbon comes through in the coffee.

I did a taste test of these two batches yesterday and couldn't tell the difference, which doesn't really surprise me all that much. I did think the Makers would have a bit more pronounced flavor, but it just wasn't the case.

The most interesting thing to me is the bourbon flavors are very subtle until about 5 days post roast. Days 3 and 4 post roast were just sort of flat, but the flavor really kicked in on days 5 and 6.

Yeah the konga is really stinky out of the bag. If you recall i git sick smelling the early roast stages and am now pretty sensitive to it. I take great care to try and not smell the green coffee or early roast stages.

I've been messing around with bourbon-resting my beans. Over time I've tried a few different things - roasting the beans then resting them on bourbon; resting them on bourbon for a couple days; resting them on bourbon for a week, etc. I've got my ratio figured out of what I like in a coffee/bourbon perspective, making sure it tastes like a hearty coffee but with the good caramel, vanilla flavor of the bourbon.

The latest thing I did was two different batches: 8 oz of Brazil beans rested for 1 week on Makers 46 and another batch rested 1 week on Trader Joe's bourbon. Basically wanted to see how much the quality of bourbon comes through in the coffee.

I did a taste test of these two batches yesterday and couldn't tell the difference, which doesn't really surprise me all that much. I did think the Makers would have a bit more pronounced flavor, but it just wasn't the case.

The most interesting thing to me is the bourbon flavors are very subtle until about 5 days post roast. Days 3 and 4 post roast were just sort of flat, but the flavor really kicked in on days 5 and 6.
What is your process? I've been meaning to try this, but haven't yet.

What is your process? I've been meaning to try this, but haven't yet.

What I have found I like best is mixing 16 oz of beans (Colombian or Brazil) with 1 tbsp of bourbon. I rest it in an empty bottle or mason jar for a week, shaking it and rotating it every so often. They soak up most of the bourbon in the first day so I move them around a lot the first 24 hours.

Then I split them into two batches and roast 8 ounces at a time like I would roast any other coffee. They roast a tad bit slower, more like a Sumatra would.

What I have found I like best is mixing 16 oz of beans (Colombian or Brazil) with 1 tbsp of bourbon. I rest it in an empty bottle or mason jar for a week, shaking it and rotating it every so often. They soak up most of the bourbon in the first day so I move them around a lot the first 24 hours.

Then I split them into two batches and roast 8 ounces at a time like I would roast any other coffee. They roast a tad bit slower, more like a Sumatra would.
I would have been hesitant to basically pour the bourbon right on the beans.

So, do you like this for chemex, espresso, both, other?

I would have been hesitant to basically pour the bourbon right on the beans.

So, do you like this for chemex, espresso, both, other?

Yeah, I took it easy the first time because I wasn't sure how they'd roast but so far no issues. (In my mind I had visions of a massive bean fire as the beans were fueled by the bourbon. Unlikely, but you never know!).

I make this in the Chemex with both the paper filters and using the Able Kone. It tastes the same in the press as it does with the Kone, which is slightly more full bodied than with a Chemex paper filter. But really, the coffee has so many bold flavors going on the paper filter isn't holding much back.

Never thought to try espresso with it! I'm sure that would be super intense.

The other day I made some in a drip machine for my wife so it'd be ready when she went to work (I slept in). I woke up and could smell the bourbon wafting upstairs from a good distance away. The coffee has a great bourbon smell to it too. I do wonder if people think we have a problem because we smell like bourbon at 7 AM...but I've also learned to care less about what people think as I age ;)

I'm kinda thinking that it wouldn't smell much more like liquor than some of the flavor syrups that some people put in their coffee, but I've only had bourbon coffee a couple of times. Of course, if you KNOW it's bourbon infused, you're going to recognize it as bourbon right away.

Great idea and tips.
I wonder what happens if you put the bourbon on post roast?

Also I never liked boubon splashed in my coffee, but this hint of bourbon sounds better. Makes me wonder if grand mariner, red wine, or chambord would be nice.

Just to be clear the beans are soaked green?

Apple I've soaked both roasted and green beans but roasted beans don't absorb the bourbon hardly at all.

I know some people do this with tequila (yuck!) and red wine. That's going to be my next experiment.

This was my latest purchase from Sweet Maria's and all have had a sample lot roasted and tasted. I had an espresso each morning and afternoon of a different variety and each time I told SWMBO it was the best I'd ever had. My roasts (popcorn popper) are I believe full city as I stop roasting as soon as I hear 2nd crack. The Kenya AA is the best followed by the Costa Rican, the the other Kenyans, Guatemalans, Brazilians and Columbian in that order. Even in last place, the Columbian is superb.

GCX-5417-001 Kenya Nyeri Thageini AB- 1 LB only
GCX-5420-001 Kenya Nyeri Karindundu Peaberry
GCX-5410-001 Kenya Nyeri Kiaguthu AA
GCX-5602-002 Brazil Pedra Branca Yellow Bourbon
GCX-5603-001 Brazil Dry Process Sítio Niquinho
GCX-5650-001 Colombia Inzá Cresta El Hato
GCX-5623-001 Guatemala Xinabajul San Pedro Necta
GCX-5632-001 Guatemala Xinabajul Pequeños Granjeros
GCX-5635-001 Costa Rica Helsar Santa Lucia

I still remain totally confused on the sound of first crack verse second. When I get to the end of first crack second crack is shortly there behind. I roast one pound in 10 or 11 minutes. I'm not sure I could go one minute past first crack the way I roast without it going into second. I really need to try and roast some coffee slower and see what happens. I know that I like coffee near the end or right about the end of first crack as a general rule, lighter for Ethiopians and darker for Brazilians.

You’re applying too much heat entering into & progressing through development. 2C sounds nearly identical to snapping a pencil. Trying lowering your heat or holding the heat gun a little farther from the bean mass when you suspect 1C is approaching. Mananaging development w/a heat gun can be like drinking from a fire hose. The high air temps combined with high convection makes it tough to strike a manageable balance.
I had a probe inserted through the side wall of the roaster into the bottom of bean mass. When the bean temp got close to normal 1C temps I could set the the HG to low which decreased power & fan. I could also adjust percentage of power with an adjustable knob.

Awesome tips Jammin thank you. I don't know why but I found when I turned the heat gun down it seems like first crack stall. If I was to get the heat down before first crack, how long will first crack go on? On full heat how long will first crack go on? With the Ethiopians I really like pulling it before it hits the end of first crack, but I don't like it too early either. Full heat straight to the end has proven to make very good Ethiopian coffee, imo. The other coffees more debatable. One big problem with full heat is that it leaves such little room for error at the end. It goes from perfect to less than perfect in 10 seconds. Turning the heat down would give me more time to play with but I have been reluctant since I have heard some first crack stall if that's even a thing. Anyways thanks again for all your help and I've got to try turning it down before first crack. I feel pretty comfortable in being able to identify that time. My little trailer is awesome but it's difficult get the beans in and out quickly because they have to go around the heat gun. But it's a good size Cup on the bottom so I get a good sample.

One thing that's going to help is taming it a bit BEFORE 1st crack. With bigger beans (AA) I always have to use this approach, otherwise I blow through 1st crack. The reason being the beans absorb so much heat they just keep going like a freight train and rush right through 1st crack.

With Ethiopians I pull back the heat a bit during the browning stage for 30-60 seconds which helps keep the beans from rushing into/through 1st crack, and also keeps it from stalling right at the edge of 1st crack.

I don't know much about heat guns but if you could modulate power a little during power, then drop a lot of the heat at the beginning of 1st crack I think you'd find a big improvement in your quality. Stretching out first crack in an East African bean is going to really pull out the juicy fruit flavors.

Hi, all. Sorry for interrupting but a moderator pointed out this thread when he learned that I also roast. This is terrific. I roast 1/2 pound at a time in my stovetop Kaldi mini. I don’t use any software just my senses and a thermometer. I source my beans usually from Sweet Maria’s. I do confess that I have a FreshRoast sr700 (collecting dust) but I prefer the old fashioned way.

Anyway, back to 1st and 2nd cracks.

Hi, all. Sorry for interrupting but a moderator pointed out this thread when he learned that I also roast. This is terrific. I roast 1/2 pound at a time in my stovetop Kaldi mini. I don’t use any software just my senses and a thermometer. I source my beans usually from Sweet Maria’s. I do confess that I have a FreshRoast sr700 (collecting dust) but I prefer the old fashioned way.

Anyway, back to 1st and 2nd cracks.

Awesome, and welcome to the thread!

How do you like the Kaldi? The build quality looks top notch.

Awesome, and welcome to the thread!How do you like the Kaldi? The build quality looks top notch.
Thanks! Glad to be here.
It’s actuall pretty solid. All 304 stainless, tiny footprint, and stores easily. This is the very basic hand cranked version off of Amazon. I’m used to the heat settings on my gas stove that I can roughly gauge my temps and timing of the cracks. I’ll play with timing and temps between cracks to develop some character. I do, however use a basic curve that suggests time and temps which keeps my roasts between 12-14 minutes.

Here is the roaster I have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2NL01K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Glad to be here.
It’s actuall pretty solid. All 304 stainless, tiny footprint, and stores easily. This is the very basic hand cranked version off of Amazon. I’m used to the heat settings on my gas stove that I can roughly gauge my temps and timing of the cracks. I’ll play with timing and temps between cracks to develop some character. I do, however use a basic curve that suggests time and temps which keeps my roasts between 12-14 minutes.

Here is the roaster I have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2NL01K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That thing is pretty neat. I don't have any flames here (coal grill, coal smoker, electric stove, electric brewery).

I've thought about getting a garage sale propane grill and one of those large roasting drums for it (https://www.rkdrums.com/), but my current ghetto roaster works just fine and I'm reluctant to get any deeper into it at the moment (I already have too many hobbies/passions).

Last edited by a moderator:
@PeteSeattle - welcome! Sweet little roaster. Looks fun to roast on. I’m sure the crew would like to see some action shots.

So what’s everyone roasting this weekend? I’m gonna do another lb if SM’s Sidama Station for espresso and hopefully stretch out the drying & mailard to about 9min total with a shorter/lighter development. Not sure what I’ll roast for drip

@PeteSeattle - welcome! Sweet little roaster. Looks fun to roast on. I’m sure the crew would like to see some action shots.

So what’s everyone roasting this weekend? I’m gonna do another lb if SM’s Sidama Station for espresso and hopefully stretch out the drying & mailard to about 9min total with a shorter/lighter development. Not sure what I’ll roast for drip

upload_2018-2-16_19-46-56.png

^looks like a great roast. The SC/TO kit is one I’ve always wanted to try.
I bet you could drill a 1/16” hole in the bottom of the SC & sneak in a bare thermocouple hint, hint - nudge, nudge:D

Awesome passedpawn. Hope the coffee is good and that sweet connection works out.

Welcome Pete, that roaster is cool and I admire anything done manually. This coffee drinking bunch got me started on the Whirley Pop.

I have 3 lb of Nicaraguan limoncello pacamara and two pounds of Nicaraguan limoncello javanica and 8 lbs of konga. The cheap Nicaraguan was excellent and they won field of the year or something in 2014. Both from the limoncello are excellent. That said by the end of the week I was suffering a little. So glad to have knoga back in the cup. I think I can define it as sweetness in the cup that I enjoy. Will probably roast more konga and go lighter. The last few roast have been a little darker, no oil, but just too much chocolate and nut flavors verse fruit flavors. Maybe I'll give some variation a try. I normally go full steam to First crack and just a little in and that creates a very nice roast with this coffee.

I think I'll go low fan and 75 percent heat for 4 minutes or so. Looking to dry them out and then really turn the heat and fan up a little for 4 minutes or more before 1c, not right before, just before, and then back off to 75 percent again with low fan. Otherwise, I'll put them on full Heat and pull them near 10 minutes 30 seconds.

Back