New Hops Containers and Trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkingLounge

Reaction score
Well last week and I got three varieties of hops. I put them in a small planter for now but needed to make them a place to grow. Yesterday I stopped at Lowes and bought some redwood fencing and a plank of redwood to make two planters and a trellis.

I made a short planter for two of the hops since they can then grow into the soil, but I had to make a tall skinny one that will go on a sidewalk and be small enough so you can walk past it.

today I made the two containers. I started with a box and then added the redwood fence to keep everything in and also to look nice.

photo-89.jpg

I had the trellis at 12 feet but the wife thought it looked too tall so I cut it down to 9. I hope it's not too short.
photo-90.jpg

photo-91.jpg

It's not the most beautiful thing in the world but once the hops start growing on it it should look pretty good.
photo-92.jpg

Oh and I just noticed one tiny hop peeking itself out of the little planter... Just in time. I'll add soil tomorrow and plant the little guys in there.

Mine are 2nd year and they are already huge. Just finished the trellis this morning

image-3429275225.jpg

Right on, sounds like a good mix. So your planning on planting one in the tall box and two in the long box? If so you should nail in a board in between the two plants so the roots can't get to intermixed. My plants at 3- 3 1/2 ft apart and I'm regretting not thinking of a way to keep the different strains from growing together. Now that I've dumped 8 yards of dirt in the hole I'm kinda stuck.

I wish I had the nice weather you have down there, yours will probably out grow mine in a week once they are planted. All I see is rain and fairly cold temperatures for the next month, but hey that's Oregon.

Right on, sounds like a good mix. So your planning on planting one in the tall box and two in the long box? If so you should nail in a board in between the two plants so the roots can't get to intermixed. My plants at 3- 3 1/2 ft apart and I'm regretting not thinking of a way to keep the different strains from growing together. Now that I've dumped 8 yards of dirt in the hole I'm kinda stuck.

I wish I had the nice weather you have down there, yours will probably out grow mine in a week once they are planted. All I see is rain and fairly cold temperatures for the next month, but hey that's Oregon.

that's a good idea. But how far down does the divider need to go? The open box is only a foot tall... Yes one in the tall box and two in the long box. I have to work fast as the plants are already growing and I have to get them out of the little planter I put them in to hold them till I got this built.

Socal does have some pretty nice weather to grow stuff. No complaints from me.

At least to the bottom of the box, it sounds like the roots will go everywhere within 2-3 years so if you feel like digging in a piece of plywood 1-4 foot into the ground it's up to you. I'm hoping I will be able to bines from right were I planted the Rhizomes and that will be the variety I think it is. I planted centennial, magnum, nugget, and cascade within a 20x5 ft hole.

As long as the plants are spaced at least a couple of feet apart there won't be any problem identifying the source of new shoots. Second year crowns are already prominent enough for that...

Cheers!

Everything is growing nicely. My williamette took forever to come up, but it's there now. Only the one so far big enough to climb. but very happy.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

Year 2! The williamette and columbus came back strong. The cascade didn't come back at all. They both have two vines going this year. And now is flowering! I only got columbus to flower last year as their first year but hope I'll get twice as much this year and some from the Williamette.

Back