Hop Specific recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
I just planted 4 types of hops for the first time. From what I have read, the first year doesn't produce very many hops. In the meantime, I'd like to scope out some recipes that use the particular strains of hops that I planted. Does anyone know of a way of finding recipes by hops used?

The country/region the hops come from usually work well in quite a few styles from their home countries/regions. There are many exceptions to this rule, but it's a good place to start. What hops have you planted?

For on-line recipes, I use Google. Or just search in this forum. I have more Cascade Hops than I can use. I found one recipe on this forum that really uses a lot of Cascade and just Cascade, for example.

Also, you should have had an idea of what you wanted to brew before you bought the hops. So I already had Cascade, a good all around hop. I bought 2 varieties that would be compatible for English Beers and 2 that would be good for German Beers. Belgian beers could use either, I think but might lean more towards the German hops.

I planted Cascade, Fuggles, Sterling, and Kent Golding. I do have a few recipes in mind. I was just thinking that if I do wind up with a lot of hops on my 2nd or 3rd year's harvest, it would be nice to try out different recipes.

Thanks I-Hop, I think we are in the same boat, though I am a few years ahead of you. I have your varieties, except that I have Willmette - a Fuggles variety, I believe, and I have Hallertau which is needed for German style beers. I was so concerned about having extra Cascade that I have been using it like crazy and now find I have left over Willamette and Sterling.

Also Maxonsjax, thanks for the cross-post reference. That was an enjoyable read. Sounds like something you could write a dissertation on.

Back