Growing Hops Indoors! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pequenadiosa

Reaction score
I know there have been one or two threads on this but they were pretty outdated and not too conclusive....

I want to try and grow hops indoors. I am a complete novice and have no idea about hops, but I thought it'd be a fun challenge.

Should I invest in a full Hydroponic system? Can I just put their pots on the ground and drill vertical florescent lights along the walls? What do I install to keep them growing up?

What makes Hydroponic better than just a good light system and watering them often?

They are fully rooted hop plants, so they already have a few leaves and are growing. I have twelve of them....all different kinds...

What to do! Please help. Thanks!

How much room do you have to grow them in? Hops can grow to be over 30' in length in send out side runners that I've seen go 4' on either side. 12 hops plants could take up a lot of real estate inside.

for-hops.jpg

for-hops-2.jpg

for-hops-3.jpg

I thought it might be easier to just show you....I was going to pot them in those terra cotta planters on the ground (sorry the dog got in the way)

Could I train them to grow up onto the ceiling?

I think the reason other threads were so outdated and inconclusive is the fact that growing hops indoors is just a bad idea. They require a lot of room and a lot of sunlight.
The goal of a good hydro system is that you can grow more in less space and have a higher level of control over nutrients being provided to the plants. You are really only saving the space taken up by the soil, but that can be quite a bit of room when growing tomatoes, peppers, or the hops close cousin...
Hydro systems can become quite expensive and time consuming because you need to monitor the water level, ph, and nutrient levels. Some items to consider - pump size and volume, trays/containers and flow design (direction of flow to create a closed loop).
Due to the size of the hop root system a hydro setup wouldn't save you all that much space.
If you are set on growing hops indoors, you can, but it will take up a lot of space.
To train them horizontally you will have to train them at least every evening; they will attempt to grow up/towards the light, and once they encroach into a light fixture you'll have a time getting them out.
Is there no way to grow them outside? Balcony? Front steps with a trellis type structure?
Let's talk about lighting.... HPS system would provide enough light for your hops, assuming your ceilings are high enough to utilize them. I know home depot/lowes etc. Offer flurecent fixtures and "plant" lights, but IMHO they will not provide enough light unless you do a grid (I.e. If you have a 20x20 ceiling, run a checkerboard patter of double bulb fixtures, hops suspended horizontally about two feet below lights).
Umm if you do a little research on growing the close cousin of hops, you will be provided with a good starting point.
Good luck, hope that helped...

All of the above is definitely something to consider. Also keep in mind as far as I know hops need a winter dormancy period. Something they are not going to get in your kitchen/bath.

-cheers

Back