Bathtub Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Though I have assisted at a production brewery, and do 15 gallon all-grain batches with the club, there is still a need to occasionally crank up a partial mash stovetop brew at home. When I do, I use the guest bathroom tub to hold the fermentation, as I can keep the room closed off, control the heat, and have an easier time cleaning up should a blow -off occur.

Plus, after all this time, I still get a thrill at the sight of crusty krausen and CO2 bubble magic...

Main BB is an imperial red rye; in the glass gallon to the right, third runnings of the same, boosted with a bit of sugar and using peppercorns instead of hops.

:mug:
homebrewjan2012.jpg

pretty cool can you explain what the third runnings are and why the sugar and pepercorns

pretty cool can you explain what the third runnings are and why the sugar and pepercorns

What mcaple1 meant to say is third runnings are what's left over after initially mashing and sparging. They usually are pretty low in gravity and need some additional malt or sugar to boost them up. Sounds like he added peppercorns for the sake of an experimental one gallon batch. :mug:

Third runnings are FREE BEER!

Note the color difference, from the same grain bill.

Peppercorns as I was out of hops and wanted something to complement the rye.

Peppercorn Rye came to mind

:mug:

Back