Saison Global Warming Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast French Saison (3711) or Belgian Saison (3724)
Yeast Starter
~1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
5gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
~2wks: pitch mid-60s > ramp up 5 deg per day up to 95F!!! (or as high as you like)
Tasting Notes
spicy nose, citrusy punch, finishes with an almost lager-like crispness
You can use either yeast for this, I ended up using a blend of the two that's on its 5th or 6th generation. The first time I did this was with the dry Belle Saison and some harvested Dupont. I didn't go as high in temperature for that but it still turned out nice.

You'll need some sort of setup to dial in the tempertures. I just use the poor man's 20gal Rubbermaid tub with an 100W aquarium heater.
Don't be afraid to ramp the temp up, just be sure to do it SLOWLY. The result is astounding, no off-flavors, super smooth and it maximizes the saison yeast characteristics. Plus you can get absurdly high attenuation (close to 90%).

Add the Candi Syrup once you hit whatever youre max temp will be and hold it there until its basically done fermenting. And let it cool back to room temp before bottling of course.

===============================================
6.0lb / 52% Pilsner
2.5lb / 22% Rye
1.0lb / 9% Flaked Rye
0.5lb / 4% Munich
0.375lb / 4% Aromatic
1.0 lb / 9% Blond Candi Syrup ***@ 2-3 days***

@60min: 0.5 oz Wakatu / 0.5 oz Pacifica
@15min: 1.5 oz Wakatu / 1.5 oz Pacifica
@0min: 1.5 oz Wakatu / 1.5 oz Pacifica

Mash at 146 for 75min
Optional: 10min mashout at 168F

60min boil
~20min hopstand at flameout before chilling
===============================================

I've had more than one person that tried this comment on how it's very lager-like in the body. I'm not too sure how that would happen since this is like the exact opposite of lagering, but whatever.

Back