German Pils Terreros Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchze

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206
Yeast Starter
1 Qt
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 52F-35F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 35F
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Crisp, clean pilsner
Terreros Pils

A dry, crisp, traditional pilsner named after a martyr and founder of Mission San Saba in 18th century Texas!

Drawing1.jpg

Ingredients

Grain
10 lb German Pilsner Malt

Hops
1 1/2 oz Halltertauer Hersbrucker (2.4%) - Boiled for 60 minutes
1 oz Halltertauer Hersbrucker (2.4%) - Boiled for 45minutes
1 oz Halltertauer Hersbrucker (2.4%) - Boiled for 30minutes
1 oz Halltertauer Hersbrucker (2.4%) - Boiled for 15 minutes

Water
Reverse Osmosis Water

Yeast
Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206 in a 1 quart starter

Method

Step Mash with Batch Sparge

Protein Rest: 20 minutes @ 120-125F
Sacc. Rest: 60 minutes @ 152F
Mash Out: During Sparge @ 168F

Notes: The AAU for the hops is what is most important and 2.4% is quite low for a typical Hallertauer (but I bought several pounds of the stuff, so that's what I use!) If you've got 5% AA Hersbrucker hops, then cut the hop amounts in half.

The German pilsner malt that I use is undermodified, so a protein rest is extremely important. Without it clarity and taste will not be right. A protein rest alone allows me to produce clear beer (no irish moss or finings are used).

I normaly strike at 135F with 3 1/2 gallons of water or so to achieve the protein rest temperature. Boiling water is then added to raise the mash temperature to 152F (usually 1 to 1 1/2 gallons). This makes for a very thin mash so I usually go with either a single batch sparge w/ 2 gallons or two sparges at 1 gallon each. I haven't noticed a difference in efficiency between the two. Sparge water is at around 175-180F.

You can certainly decoct this recipe and that is of course the true "traditional" Pilsen method. But I just use a step mash adding boiling water to bring the temperature up for the sacc. rest.

Back