So you think I could hack this?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So do you think I could hack this to run at set intervals or, say, maybe one revolution per hour for continuous hopping?
lg_908352_FS13458Z-IO.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4430+4464&pcatid=4464

Stripping out the speed control and programming on that motor and kit bash something new inline, if possible with that motor, would be fairly easy.

Something with a basic stamp, perhaps?

I was thinking along the lines of a slide projector system with a modified switching system.

Shouldn't be a problem. The timing circuit is probably nothing more than a resistor/capacitor setup. That's how my dog-dish works. The timing switch selects between three resistors.

I just can't tell from the pic how big it really is and how much each tray would hold...

I'll probably give it a go here in the next few months - gotta get finished up with my current round of projects before I take on anything else.

I just can't tell from the pic how big it really is and how much each tray would hold...
Based on the size of the wall plug, it looks like each tray is pretty small. I think it would be fine continual hopping with pellets but adding 2 ounces of leaf at 15 minutes is probably out of the question.

You could probably hold at least .25 oz of pellets in each tray.

For the money it would cost to hack it, I think you could build something very similar. I'm picturing stepper motor or servo control, but there might be a far easier way.

How would you maintain a closed vessel with this method? Or am I just missing something?

Why would you have a closed boil kettle? He is talking about continuous hopping during the boil.

The March 2006 BYO had an article on building a continuous hopping device.

Autofeeders are also not very reliable. I don't know how reliable they'd be in adding just a few hop pellets, but most fishkeepers would rather not feed their fish for a week than leave them with an autofeeder. They have nasty habits of dumping large amounts of food in at once.

Back