PVC dual draft tower on old Kenmore keggerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing this project. I wanted to increase the tower height as the original tower could not even fill a pitcher! :mad: It served me well enough but I had a constant battle of force carb this, switch out the wifes beer for mine all on 1 coupler...

I thought about raising the tower but the chrome was faded and splotchy and that would require wood working, the one guy thing I suck the most at...I saw someone else make a tower from PVC so this is my "glueless" version.

Here is the original:
DSCF2283.jpg

I removed the tower and then the top with no previous knowledge or clue as how to do it. Instinct served me well. For those that may be wondering how to remove the top on these old units. There are 2 brackets with 2 sheetmetal style bolts in each, on the back, remove those and the 2 screws in the top of the "mesh". Lift the back of the "top" up and slide back. The front is held down by 2 clips. Sorry no pics... :(

Then I mounted the base, a floor drain upside down, with SS 1/4"(or 20) x 1 1/4" metal screws and washers then started to work on the "head". I wanted to be able to take the thing apart so I used some eyebolts that ran through the "cap" and internal pvc pipe. Speaking of the internal PVC pipe (it was cut to 2.5 inches, 1 per side)...I did have to notch out the area where the tower shank was at. Once all that was done, I ran the beer line through it and the "Tee" then repeated for the other side. Next, I cut a 12" piece of PVC pipe, which fits SNUGLY into the base with no glue. Added the foam insulation around the beer lines, attached the faucets and adjusted the head into position as well as the faucets. I got some 1/8" - 4" stud screws which is also #6 (or close enough) washers and locknuts. I CAREFULLY drilled through each side to secure the "caps" into position on the "Tee" then cut off the excess bolts with a hack saw, same for the eye bolts. Finally I added some capnuts/stopnuts to the eye bolts so it would look nicer, I left one of each on so you could see the difference.

Here are some pics:

Close up of the head:
DSCF2395.jpg

Even closer to see the bolts:
DSCF2396.jpg

Head from the back:
DSCF2397.jpg

Finished tower:
DSCF2394.jpg

Tested both sides, no leaks. The hideous tap handles are only there due to lack of anything else I own, that will be my next DIY along with some custom "tags" to hang from the eyebolts saying what is on that tap and maybe a built in drip tray it looks like there is enough room under the top for one. Now I can finally enjoy a pitcher of IPA and the wife can enjoy her wheat beers without me having to switch couplings around. :mug:

what kind of flange is that? When I go to the depot all I can find is the Abs ons that are way too huge.

Brilliant!

I bet if you hit that whole thing with several coats of SS spray paint and some clear...it would look a lot less like PVC and more like an actual tap tower.

How does it feel to pull on? Does the PVC flex a lot or is it pretty ridged?

what kind of flange is that? When I go to the depot all I can find is the Abs ons that are way too huge.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 I removed the drain cover and had to buy the longer SS screws + washers as noted above. The tower is 2" PVC the OD of the tee + caps and base is 3".

Brilliant!
I bet if you hit that whole thing with several coats of SS spray paint and some clear...it would look a lot less like PVC and more like an actual tap tower.
How does it feel to pull on? Does the PVC flex a lot or is it pretty ridged?

THANKS! I have been thinking about the PVC color thing and I will probably leave it as is for now. I am all about function>fashion at this point! I may try some experiments with PVC cleaner to "prep" the surface and some wood stain/paint. In my experiences PVC + paint looks like crap in a week...lol. Also the keggerater was inside the previous owners basement and the bottom + sides have some rust, the rails have also seen better days. She is just old but she keeps my beers frosty and now has 2 taps!

As for the rigidity, It is as solid as it could be. I may install 1 more bolt at the bottom of the Tee but for now it is just fine. At the base I had to use a LOT of force to get the pipe to go in all the way, I honestly do not think I can get it apart at that union even if I wanted to! The Perlick faucets are smooth as silk to pull on and almost require no force so there is no "flex" at all. For the height of the tower, I would say it is as solid as a SS tower that would be mounted on the same surface.

Looks great. I recently picked up a chest freezer from HD...planning to build a coffin style out of it. Don't have time to do it right now, but want to use it in the mean time. Since I don't mind cutting into the lid, I was thinking of doing something like this for a tower until I have the time to build the cabinet. I was considering some kind of metal, but don't wanna spend a few hundred on the professional manufactured ones. Seems like pvc is a usable option!

It has and continues to pour fantastic beers! I have no complaints so far!

Back