My simple In-Line O2 injector

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumbler

Reaction score
I would like to thank Beerthirty,s post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/inline-o2-injector-76613/for inspiration.

The concept was to put the diffuser stone directly in the middle of the wort flow.

I already had the SS diffuser, the brass, and copper pipe. All I bought was 4 fittings.

1 Hr. later it was done.

The only prep was cutting 2 pieces of 1/2" tubing, 1 piece of 3/4" tubing, and drill a 1/4" hole all the way through the compression fitting to slide the SS tube through.
For reference sake I placed the SS diffuser approximately where it would be located in the pipe when assembled.

In-Line_O2_Parts.JPG

10 minutes of soldering, then I slid the SS tube in through the 3/4" end, out the 1/2" end through the compression fitting. This is what I ended up with.

In-Line_O2_Assembled.JPG

You can see the diffuser stone in the middle of the 1/2" pipe.

In-Line_O2_End_Vies.JPG

What I don't know is how long it takes to incorporate the O2?
How long does my hose need to be to keep it confined long enough to incorporate, given that I'll be pumping 65F Wort at 1 Gal./Min.?
O2 flow rate?

Nice looking build!
Just a reference for others taking this on, I'm pretty sure you can get drilled through (at least from Swagelok) compression fittings for this purpose. Although it really only would save about 5 min drilling ;)

How did you attach the air stone to the SS tube? Is the stone threaded? VERY nice build!
tom

That stone looks like mine. If it is, it came brazed to the SS tube.

Also, you're going to get plenty of O2 in solution; I wouldn't worry about your flowrate. I would worry about how fast you are going to run out of O2.

haze

That stone looks like mine. If it is, it came brazed to the SS tube.

Also, you're going to get plenty of O2 in solution; I wouldn't worry about your flowrate. I would worry about how fast you are going to run out of O2.

haze

I've heard you can get at least a couple of batches from a tank. I hope it's true. I guess I'll find out soon.

is there any chance, at a low enough PSI, of beer seeping back down the line and into the regulator??

is there any chance, at a low enough PSI, of beer seeping back down the line and into the regulator??

In the words of Brad Childress, "Duh! Umm! Ohhh! Umm!"

In my research I haven't ran across where this has happened, at least that anyone has posted, but there's always a chance. :(

The plan is to have the valve above the pump and see what happens. I can always lower it in future batches as I feel more comfortable.

Is the stone necessary? I was just going to attach a 1/4" barb to my assembly, no stone. Is this a bad way to go?

You might consider using sterile, compressed air to aerate your wort...

Just need an oil-less compressor, regulator, and a sterile filter available at most homebrew shops.

You might consider using sterile, compressed air to aerate your wort...

Just need an oil-less compressor, regulator, and a sterile filter available at most homebrew shops.

Do you think an aquarium air pump would be sufficient?

I do have these items.

I run ~10 PSI of air pressure at a wort flow rate of 1 gal/min.

Thanks for the specs. The wort flow rate matches mine. I'll brew two batches and try 1 batch compressed sterile air and 1 batch O2. Compare and what not.

WTH - it's only money and time. It'll give me a reason to chill on a lazy October afternoon.

Thanks for the specs. The wort flow rate matches mine. I'll brew two batches and try 1 batch compressed sterile air and 1 batch O2. Compare and what not.

Compressed air works well for an OG < 1.070 and pure O2 becomes necessary much beyond that. These days, I only use pure O2 for strong ales and imperials.

Latest posts

Back