Mobil Pump and Temp control build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
or as I like to call it Stanley.0. This was inspired by me screwing up the idea of a pump tool box and a temp controller toolbox. I ended up scraping 1 small tool box then I stumbled upon oIIIIo's post of his pump build. Located here:(space reserved for link when I find it again) So I built my "ebay temp controller" tool box and my pump box into this 1 Stanley mobil workstation (It was $20.00 @ Lowes.)

This is a component of my 30 gallon fermentor as well...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/possible-cheap-large-30-gallon-fermenters-187860/

Pics...

DSCF2289.jpg

here it is...

DSCF2293.jpg
This is the inside. As you can see I used standard electrical outlet boxes, outlets, switches and covers. Yes I know GFI is better but I will plug it into a surge protector so I saved myself a ton of cash by using the cheap stuff also @ Lowes. The pump switch is the white square I mounted on the inside, bottom of the top section. It is hard to see clearly...The rats nest of wires is mostly the probe wires just sitting inside...

DSCF2306.jpg
Speaking of probe wires I went down to Radio shack and for $7 got 1/8" mono male and female jacks. This allows me to unplug them for multiple applications. I am planning on using Yuri Rage's submersible probe build with a twist. Original build link:(this space reserved for link) I will not only put the sensor in a Stainless steel tube I will use small gauge silicone tubing to protect the wire, having it streched onto the SS tube all the way to the plug. I tested these probes with the plugs and they work exactly as they did without...I am hoping to not only use the probs for fermentation but in my HLT and MLT on brew day. Dual purpose!

DSCF2291.jpg
I like that I can plug the power cord into a controller outlet so I do not run over or step on the cord when moving it.

Well that's it for this one. It was a pretty simple build. I used a drill and a jig saw to cut everything and a knife to remove burrs. It took more time to plot everything out and "test" as I went. It will be put into service on brew day in 2 weeks!

I have already thought of an additional improvement but lack the funds+time to do this until after brew day. I will add in a 4 outlet plug/box in the bottom section. The door that encloses the pump area should completely miss this area so that I can plug in a radio and other brew day items if need be...

:mug:

That's sweet, I want to make one of those!
Yes I know GFI is better but I will plug it into a surge protector so I saved myself a ton of cash by using the cheap stuff also @ Lowes.

A GFI outlet is about 10 bucks. They have a screw on the side to run to additional standard outlets you want protected, so you could wire the whole thing to one, and have the GFI plug as a always live outlet for your radio or what have you. Just a thought...

I'd like to see some wiring diagrams of this rig, and a parts list would be helpful too.

The wiring diagram is not going to happen lol... I split the circuit into 2 inside the box; 1 side went to the switch then the pump, the other got split again and went to each temp controller. wired it up exactly how you would have thought per the ebay temp controller build thread.

BUT the parts list is VERY do-able!

1- Stanley mobile workstation: $19.99 @ Lowes
3- electrical boxes $.99 ea @ Lowes
2- white outlet cover plates $.19 Lowes
2- white 3 prong outlets $.79 @ Lowes
1- white switch $.59 @ Lowes
1- white switch plate cover $.17 @ Lowes
9- Yellow wire nuts $.19 ea True Value
1- 1/8" female mono jack package $3.99 @ Radio Shack
1- 1/8" male mono jack package $2.99 @ Radio Shack
1- Chugger 809 march pump $79.99 @ ebay
2- ebay temp controllers $38.00ea @ ebay

Sub total $191.60

Parts I had:
electrical tape
2 old computer PSU cords
2 small pieces of SS tubing (for the probes)

Items I am not including are the SS QD's and any shipping/gas used to get the items...I also have not ordered the silicon tubing yet so I can not price that but I believe it is about $1 per foot.

As I stated before I could have spent up for the GFI outlets but since I have a surge protection strip laying around I saved $20ish. Also, as a note I have 2 temp controllers that control 1 outlet each (1 on each side) so I would not have been able to "chain them".

I mentioned this in not great detail but will explain a bit better the purpose of this build...It is to be a part of my modular brewery and 30 gallon fermentation project. The chugger pump will only be used to transfer wort from keggle to keggle and into the fermentor??? (Not sure about the fermentor due to distance/pump strength but will probably try it anyways...lol)

The temp controllers I want to dual purpose as a digital thermometers for my HLT and MLT as well as monitoring temps in the fermentors.(1-30 gallon and 1 Rubbermaid tote, filled with water w/ 2 glass carboys in it.) I do not ever plan to brew if I have beer fermenting, so this should work well for me.

Back