Making a 2 Gallon Mini MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the ends off with some angled wire cutters (aka diagonal cutters) - just took some extra-hard squeezing. When I did the 1" braided line for my 10-gal, I used straight tin-snips. I really had to work at it, but I could hear the individual strands breaking so I knew I was making progress. Other folks have had good success with a dremel and a cut-off attachment, and still others have used an X-acto knive to poke through the braid and perforate the inner tube all around the perimeter to make the final cutting easier. Once you get the braid pushed off the liner tube, be careful not to kink it - it's just about impossible to smooth it out (if you're picky about that sort of thing)

Picked up a 3 gallon cooler today at wally world for $16. Going to pick up the rest of the parts this weekend.

Still trying to understand the concept of this......This will be used as a combo, a mash tun, and a lauter tun correct?

Thanks! Yeah im just going to do partials for now....It will probably get me into the AG though.

Sweet! This is exactly what I need to make. Thanks for posting..

One quick question...what's the max amount of grains I can mash with a 2 gallon setup like this..?

how about a 3 gallon setup..?

Thanks!

Edit- Never mind, long thread never got off the first page..duh..

Tophe96 said:
Thanks! Yeah im just going to do partials for now....It will probably get me into the AG though.

If you're anything like me you'll do exactly 1 partial batch before catching the AG bug :D

I don't see the need for a specific MLT. I mash in a rectangular cooler without any spigot, then use a sauce pan to ladle it into my bottling bucket.

I did make a braid gismo to go inside the bucket. I used a rubber stopper from the HBS, that fits the inside of the spigot. I used a piece of 3/8 erso copper tube, bent on the far end and cut to fit across the bucket. Then the braid over the end of the copper. I did put a stainless steel spring inside the tubing end of my braid, to prevent kinking. In use, I slide the stopper up the tube, insert the tube into the spigot, then push the stopper down the tube into the spigot. The length of the copper keeps the tube in place, across the bottom of the bucket. Then I use a grain bag in the bucket. Ladle the hot wort in, fly sparge with no sprinkler, just the end of the hose to play fireman with . After the sparge is done, I can lift the full bag of hulls out, and dump the rest of the wort from the bucket into the kettle. No wort wasted, no extra fittings to buy. No MLT to store.

I was at Home Depot looking for the SS braided line and all I could find was the Watts FloodSafe Auto Shutoff Connector but they all said SS connectors and then something about polymer engineered braid...is this the right hose?

I saw others that were ss braid, but they were sold in 10' lengths.

Was there a part no. that i could look for?

I have a question, just want to make sure I do this right when I brew my first PM.

......Doing it this way, with this setup doesnt involve steeping the grains on the stove, instead I'll be adding my few pounds of grains right into my cooler(I'll preheat it) and adding my water (which should be about 170 or so so it drops to the proper temp after it mixes with the grain). Then if my temp is on, I just let it sit there for a half hour or whatever beersmith tells me to, drain it out and sparge with some 170* water.

On beersmith, it has the mashing options. This is a batch sparge correct? If i remember right, it had two step temps...I think a step in, and step out or something like that. I assumed the higher one is giving you the temp of the water to add to the grains.

Hope I can get some good answers here, otherwise I'll try a diff. forum.

Thanks!

Uncle Argyle said:
I was at Home Depot looking for the SS braided line and all I could find was the Watts FloodSafe Auto Shutoff Connector but they all said SS connectors and then something about polymer engineered braid...is this the right hose?

My local Home Depot had two types of FloodSafe hoses, and of course I didn't look closely and ended up buying the polymer one. It wasn't until after I cut it that I realized it was a little to 'soft' to be SST. (Doh!) Went back and found the SST version on the next shelf down. Sorry I don't have the part number, but it was definitely a FloodSafe hose (kinda pricey too). FWIW, if you're doing a 10-gal MLT as well (and why not), a 24-inch 1" diameter braid makes a great loop and gives you lots of surface area. See Palmer's How to Brew book - it has some great pictures

I poured back over the 10gal MLT project by Fly-Guy, then followed his link to his website for some high res pics. I cropped the Watts tag for the SS hose...I thought someone else might need the info. I know I am goign to print this out and take it to the store.

SS_Line Tag.jpg

The FloodSafe hoses have an extra check valve that shuts off the water flow in case of a water line rupture. You will pay extra for this feature, and you don't need it since it is only the SS braid you want. Look for the plain old hoses, like the one I used. You might also consider getting one that is longer or thicker in diameter -- the one I bought works, but some prefer bigger braids.

I bought everything to make the MLT! I found a three gallon though and figure that I will have a little room to "grow". I'm still going to upgrade in time to five or ten gallons, but many of you know that I'm constrained to brewing half batches until the end of the year. I figure I can handle most porters and wheat beers in this volume.

Thank you, thank you for the comprehensive and illustrated parts list and directions. I found every item (except the two washers) without a hitch! I will put it together tomorrow and brew my first PM on Saturday night (An oatmeal stout at 5.9% proposed ABV)

You guys are great, thanks again. I will follow up with the progress and results.

I found stainless steel washers at Home Depot. If I remember, I can scan the package in and post it for reference...the packaging was orange if I recall.

I had to buy 5/8" stainless steel, "make your own bolt" kit, or something like that. Basically it was a couple of pieces of threaded rod, lock washers, flat washers and bolts...about 2 or 3 bucks. It was in the nuts and bolts section...but it was the only stainless steel washers I could find that were the right size.

Not sure if that made any sense, but I know a lot of people were looking for washers at the ol' Home Depot.

Picked up the remaining parts to make one this afternoon, can't wait to use it tomorrow! I am extremely excited to see how it compares to the "Countertop Partial Mash" method on BYO, which I did last time. Hopefully it will be a bit easier.

I went ahead and went with the hose gasket on the inside + the internal gasket that came with the cooler and it seems to work fine. (at least it is holding water now). I am going to let it rest with water in it overnight to make sure that it all works.

Man, its cool. :rockin:

It is very cool man....I cant wait to make my second PM tomorrow in mine. It went sweet last time. Only bad thing is it is going to be like 30 degrees out tomorrow.

I'll have to be sure and get a good buzz on before brewing so I dont feel the cold!

Noticed you were from the 'Zoo. I usually spend about a week a year up in Plainwell and always make the pilgramage down to Bell's. My future plan is to make it a pilgramage up to Founder's because I love there stuff.

Last year was not such a good pilgramage, bought a couple bottles of the Batch 7000. My future brother-in-law and I about died.

I put together one of these suckers with a 2-gallon Rubbermaid cooler (I got that one for $10), and it holds water just fine. However, it's not holding temperature as well as I'd hoped. I did a test with 160 degree water, and in one hour, it lost 12 degrees. I think it's leeching heat through the lid, which is just a single thickness of hard plastic... not insulated. I'm going to try to cover the lid with a towel or something and try again.

What is the highest gravity y'all have reached? I really want to do a 3 gallon one since my buddy has 3 of them laying around. I kind of like the bigger beers.

Would this work to make 3 gallon batches? I aquired some 4 1/4 food grade buckets from a bakery and would like to make some small batches. Anyone think i could do mini AG with this thing?

Redskins838892 said:
Would this work to make 3 gallon batches? I aquired some 4 1/4 food grade buckets from a bakery and would like to make some small batches. Anyone think i could do mini AG with this thing?
Yes I believe you could make 3 gallon batches with this MLT. A 3 gallon cooler might suit you better but I think a 2 gallon would work too.

Ok, thanks to this and the other thread I don't think I will ever do another extract/steeping brew again. I have absolutely no room for all grain since I live in a small apartment with no deck. Used a 3 gallon cooler and converted as shown. Tried it out Easter Sunday and it worked perfectly. Here are some pics.

Completed Project.

P_00069.JPG

P_00077.JPG

Wish this could have come out better it looked and smelled awesome.

P_00074.JPG

Conversion Test.

P_00071.JPG

I must say this worked out great! Very pleased with results! Thank you to all that contributed to these threads!

Just got mine all put together! Thanks for the great write up. It even holds water :)

I am in the middle of doing the temp drop test right now. So far so good, It has only dropped about 4degF over the last 30 minutes, and that has been with me taking the lid off every 10 minutes to take readings.

Thanks again!

UPDATE: Over the course of an hour, 6.8degF temp loss. I think that seems pretty acceptable :)

Water will lose temp faster than the mash will, The grain insulates better. I wouldn't be surprised if you only lose 2-4 deg per hour.

Thanks for the write up, going to put one together this weekend. Been wanting to do it for some time. Thanks again.

Brewsmith said:
Water will lose temp faster than the mash will, The grain insulates better. I wouldn't be surprised if you only lose 2-4 deg per hour.

Yeah I used it this weekend to brew and over the hour I only lost 2 deg. I was pretty happy. I forgot to take a reading to check my efficiency though as I was brewing at 1AM, but I was only off by 2 points from my target OG. I figured it worked quite well.

Well the first brew I did using the 3 gallon version of this system turned out wonderful!!! I have since brewed with this setup three times and am getting nice efficiency! I can use up to 7lb grain in one of these if I batch sparge. This is absolutely perfect for someone like me who does not have the capacity to do full boils and want to make better quality beer. ALL EXTRACT BREWERS SHOULD TRY THIS OUT!!! I won't be going to all grain until I move, which could be a while, so not only is this good practice for the future, it makes great beer.

I bought one of these coolers today.. and on the lid on the inside it says do not use with hot liquids.. should I be worried about this.. or is 170 degrees not hot enough to do any damage..?

I just bought the parts for this... I couldnt find a SS washer.. but did find a zinc one. It is not galvanized.. but should i still stay clear of using it inside? I have a small leak... I am using the rubber gasket that came with the cooler, and a neoprene washer in the inside, and two of these zinc washers on the outside..

anyone have any suggestions?

This is a fantastic idea for us 1 gallon brewers. For some reason I don't care to stick my whole pot in the oven. Thank you very much for taking the time to detail this for us.

Latest posts

Back