Fermentation Box using a Fridge - Condensation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if others who use a refrigerator as the cooling unit for their fermentation boxes experience any condesation. I will post some pics of my build soon, but I just now realized that all my hard work could go down the tubes if the pink styrofoam insulation gets damp. Do I need to line the insulation inside with some sort of material, if so what? Or should I get something like damp rid or the http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-EDV-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1224084133&sr=8-1&s=electronics?

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep that dehumidifier in my kegerator and it works well.

Thats good to know, I have heard varying results regarding the "DampRid." Did you build a box for your kegorator? is the Insulation "open to the elements?" The last thing i want to do is get mold on on the inside of this thing, but i dont want to shell out too much more in supplies :)

I have one of those Eva-dry units in my beer freezer, and think it's great. Doesn't take up much space, needs drying out once a month or so. Plug it into the wall outlet, put it back the freezer the next day. The dessicant material is self indicating silica gel, turns blue when wet, pink when dry. There's a window you can see the color through in the side of the unit.

wow, i like this idea. i never knew something like this existed.

Brett, isn't that pink foam water resisitant? I know when i asked for some foam for my fermentation chamber i specificaly asked for the water resistant kind. (I think it used to be pink, but our local dealer has changed it to yellow).

wow, i like this idea. i never knew something like this existed.

Brett, isn't that pink foam water resisitant? I know when i asked for some foam for my fermentation chamber i specificaly asked for the water resistant kind. (I think it used to be pink, but our local dealer has changed it to yellow).

I think you are right! From the Big Orange Box website - "Pink rigid foam insulation delivers exceptional moisture resistance and retains its r-value even after exposure to standing water. Used in fire-rated exterior wall assemblies for application in office buildings, schools, shopping centers and more." I think i may get one those Eva-Dry units to be safe! Thanks for all the help and info everyone!

Finally got around to posting pics!

Framed up the base
1621-fermentation-box-frame.jpg

Had some old particle board lying around. The previous job I did required an angled cut. Luckily I had JUST enough to cut-out its matching piece :)
1622-fermentation-box-resourceful-use-scrap-wood.jpg

First design flaw - 3 wheels. Second design flaw - the side with one wheel is under the fridge and is that heaviest part, makes moving it a bit of a balancing act
1623-fermentation-box-casters-definitely-would-go-4-wheels-next-time.jpg

Picture from the end, almost all framed up
1624-fermentation-box-end-view.jpg

Seemed to stop taking pictures for a bit, frame finished, insulation in!
1625-fermentation-box-adding-insulation.jpg

In Place Ready to Control the temps
1627-fermentation-box-complete-well-almost-need-finish-paneling.jpg

Door Shut
1626-fermentation-box-pretty-much-finished.jpg

Well, it holds temps pretty well! Still need to finish cover it with paneling. Got some chalkboard paint I plan to use as well

Back