goldfishschlager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I was reading on a few articles about how goldfish are similar to yeast. When the water the goldfish are swimming start losing the available oxygen, they start creating ethanol as waste. It's also the reason only goldfish were kept in early aquariums, because their water didn't need to be aerated.

Here's some nice long sources for my audacious claim.

http://physiologyonline.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/16/5/217

http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/alcoholism.html

I have a few questions. What kind of goldfish would I buy to make an ale vs. making a lager? Are carp better for making lambic ales since they're considered more 'wild'? Are koi better suited for making bigger beers, or just making a Japanese style?

I would go with the Koi if you're using a large amount of rice in the mash. Other than that, I don't think you need to worry about the types of goldfish for normal ales and lagers because most are good at bottom and top swimming. Stay away from carp though, they are too fruity tasting.

The important question here is -

Would eating the fish have the same effect as eating the worm in a bottle of Mescal?:cross:

I always used to say 'I don't drink water - I know what fish do in it'

What excuse can i use now????

So now I have a problem. I seem to have a stuck fermentation. Normally I'd use yeast nutrient, but the goldfish don't seem to like it. I'm hesitant to use fishfood because of the chance of slight off flavors. That, and the cats got into the can of fishfood one time while we were on vacation and made 'deposits' in each room of the house. Thanks for the tip about the koi, I'm making a regular amber gold ale, and plus the chick at the fish store looked at me really strange when I told her what I wanted to do with it. Just as well, they were VERY expensive!

The trub is already several inches thick, I'll have to move to secondary pretty soon.

Umm.... I dont know about this... what your talking about is the Nitrogen Cycle. Kinda goes like this... fish excrete waste in the form of ammonia (ammonia is very toxic). This ammonia converts to nitrite (also very toxic to fish and is a common reason why fish kick the bucket). This nitrite eventually use bacteria in the tank to convert to nitrate which is pretty much harmless. If you look on the ingredianats of plant nutrients this is what you will perdominatly see, nitrate.

You can use fish (goldfish are used a lot cause of the waste they produce) to do something like Auquaponics. This is growing plants on like a netting hung from the fish tank.

Now using this technique for yeast and beer.....hmmm....I don't know.... guess I got this thing with drinking fish pee.... interesting idea though.

Don't listen to GOD, he's never even done this. What you need to do for a stuck fish-ferment is take each one out and give it a good shake. That always works.

eviltwinofjoni said:
and plus the chick at the fish store looked at me really strange when I told her what I wanted to do with it.

Well if she looked at your strange, dont bother thinking of what she was thinking:D

Oh man.... I've been trying to make electric Jell-o with eels, can you guys help???

I'm almost afraid to ask what "electric Jell-o with eels" is, but what the hell... what is electric Jell-o with eels?

:confused: Yeah I know.... I keep thinking of the people who pay for $400 a month to clean out a few fish tanks..... how bad the water smells and that there is an idea to drink it:confused:

Something fishy going on here. I think this process (if you get the ferment unstuck) gives you a Mullet Mead. In contrast to the 06.06.06 beer, perhaps you could call it the Holy Mackerel? "Brewed at the hand of Cod", sort of?

(Personally, I'd go ahead and do it. Just for the halibut.)

:D

Regicider said:
Something fishy going on here. I think this process (if you get the ferment unstuck) gives you a Mullet Mead. In contrast to the 06.06.06 beer, perhaps you could call it the Holy Mackerel? "Brewed at the hand of Cod", sort of?

(Personally, I'd go ahead and do it. Just for the halibut.)

:D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
:fro:

Regicider said:
Holy Mackerel? "Brewed at the hand of Cod", sort of?
:mad:

fearcod.jpg

Back