Yet Another Newb's Water Report Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
Yet another relative newbie humbly asking for comment and/or analysis. Anything jump out? Look decent for brewing IPAs and Browns?

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 145
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.24
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.2 / 2.0 ppm
Sodium, Na 18
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 21
Magnesium, Mg 3
Total Hardness, CaCO3 65
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.4 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 16
Chloride, Cl 15
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 34
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 28
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Yeah, on face value, IPAs on the more Amber side and American Browns put the pH in range without any additions but Ca, Mg, and Cl are low. It's not bad at all, easy additions of CaCl and epsom will fix:

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 21
Mg: 3
Na: 18
Cl: 15
SO4: 48
CaCO3: 28

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 4 / 4
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 10
Non-Roasted Spec. Grain: 1
Roasted Grain: 0
Beer Color (SRM): 15

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 0 / 0
CaCl2: 4 / 0
MgSO4: 3 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
NaCl: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 93 / 57
Mg: 21 / 12
Na: 18 / 18
Cl: 142 / 79
SO4: 125 / 87
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 1.14 / 0.91

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 28
RA: -51
Estimated pH: 5.24

If you wanted to brew a lighter beer, you'd likely have to use acid additions or sub in some acidmalt.

Thanks Bobby. Been playing with TH's Water Calculator while waiting for comment, your tips on additions helped me make sense of things... I'm waffling back and forth between extract and all grain brews right now. Given the temp outside, I'll likely be doing extract batches for the next month or two. I get my extract bulk from my LHBS. If I can get the water profile used to make it, are there tools out there to combine two profiles? Would I simply average the numbers?

If you knew the extract producer's water profile, each of the starting water levels would simply be added to what you are reconstituting with. That's why people with borderline high levels can benefit from using some RO/distilled. In your case, I'd just use the tap. Your levels are low in everything except for sulfate. If you find that malt focused beers are coming out harsh, you might even think about 2 grams of CaCl. added to the boil kettle.

Latest posts

Back