Undercarbonated in bottle...pour bottles into keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murdoch623

Reaction score
Weird question, but I made an IPA in October that has never really carbonated. Would it be possible to pour the bottles into a keg and use the co2 canister to add carbonation? Or is that nuts?

It is not a great idea but what do you have to lose? It would be better to VERY gently pour the bottles (without splashing) into a wide mouthed bottling bucket and rack from there to your keg. By using a bucket you can get the bottle top much closer to the bottom so you don't complete oxidize your batch. Drink it fast after you carb!

I did this once, the beer was ok for about week after it carbed up, 2 weeks total. After that it turned south real quick. I was careful when I poured them, used the bucket up idea, but it didn't really matter. I ended up throwing out about 3 gallons.

Just wait. If your bottles arnt carbed then just wait a bit more ... Is the temp right? at low temps it takes longer to carb. Perhaps place them in a higher temp to re-ignite the yeast and perhaps it will carb.

I think the standard answer at this point is to gently roll the bottles individually to get whatever yeast is in them back into suspension, then make sure they are at 70 degrees or higher and give them more time...nothing to lose at this point.

If that fails, I wonder if it is possible to remove caps & add carbonation tablets or drops?

I'm also considering the Coopers drops. They never really carbed up very much. Flavor is nice, but still not what I'd choose to drink.

I'd drop the bottles in a bucket of StarSan, uncap them, and drop in a carb tab then re-cap. If you keg them then you'd better force carb and start drinking in a hurry!!!

I am suprised that no one has said that they are no good and told you to ship the bottles to them yet.

Instead of going from bottling bucket to keg like nermey said, how about attaching a hose to a funnel and gently pouring the beers in. Thats if you go that route anyways.

I had to do this with a wheat beer once, I messed up the priming sugar and it never carbed so i just carefully poured the bottles in a keg that i purged with co2. It worked but i drank it fast.

Back