Staggered Fermentation-- Temp Probe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naga77777

Reaction score
Is there any way to keep 2 fermenters happy in the same chamber if one is at High Krausen, and one in conditioning?

Ideally, I'm trying to establish a pipeline with a new batch going into the ferm chamber every 2 weeks. That may or may not mean that I'd have a batch still conditioning in the same chamber. (I kind of rushed this batch because I'm new to the hobby and wanted to brew this weekend :) )

I've just read a few threads, and I see a couple people mentioning brew belts. I don't have one of these, and just finished boiling my 2nd batch ever.

My first batch is done with the attenuative phase (afaik), but the 2nd batch is about to start going vigorously.

Batch 1: Caribou Slobber, 1 week into fermentation, not really bubbling at all.

Batch 2: Chinook IPA, just done with the boil, about to take off with exothermic activity.

I have both of them in the same 38DD ferm chiller that I built.

I'm trying to figgur out where to put my temp probe. At first I put it on the 1st batch (at a steady 66 degrees right now) but then I figured the exothermic activity of batch #2 would go "out of temp range" well before the temp probe would notice, due to the "lag time" of the wort's temp changes, compared to changes in ambient air temp.

Then, I put the temp probe in ambient air, and have the controller set to cycle on at 66 degrees, and shut off at 64 degrees. (first batch is using windsor yeast (64-70 degrees, not producing heat currently), and second batch is using US-05 (59-75 degrees, about to start producing lots of heat).

I'm trying to find a happy medium for both batches, but don't know if this is possible. Thoughts?

thanks in advance. I would have never been able to start brewing without this forum, although this is my first real thread aside from the introduction.

-Thomas

EDIT: So, what I've just done is stick the first fermenter in my closet (ambient of 70 degrees) and taped the probe to my 2nd fermenter that's about to go nuts. I figure once High Krausen subsides with the 2nd fermenter, I can house them both in the same 38dd chamber at ~67 degrees.

Back