No visible activity in airlock :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1194

Reaction score
Okay, just to start its been 7 days since I brewed. It was late when I added the yeast, I gave up and added it at ~145degrees . I know, i know bad idea. Well my instructions said nothing about re-hydrating the yeast and I just added in the dry brewers yeast. I havent seen any bubbles in the air lock. If i ruined the yeast can I get replacement yeast from the grocery store to replace it? I guess ill open it tonight and re-pitch if I can get yeast locally. At the grocery store what should I look for? Do i need to prepare it in any way?

Airlock activity means nothing. SOme brews never bubble. An airlock is a vent, a valve to release excess co2, it's not a fermentation gauge.

Bubblling or lack of means nothing, take a gravity reading. If you want to know what's going on with your beer, then that's what you use. The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

pitching at 145? ouch. probably killed it. there isn't any grocery store yeast that will work, unless it's a grocery store/homebrew supply

If you added them at 145, they are dead. No questions asked. I would say if you have maintained a sanitized environment get some new yeast and pitch it.

Did you take an original gravity? If so, than you can take another gravity to determine if any fermentation has actually taken place.

Airlock activity means nothing. SOme brews never bubble. An airlock is a vent, a valve to release excess co2, it's not a fermentation gauge.

Bubblling or lack of means nothing, take a gravity reading. If you want to know what's going on with your beer, then that's what you use. The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

This^^ But, at 145 degrees I would think that you might have killed the yeast. Take a gravity reading and find out!

I doubt that you can find anything at a grocery store that would be good for fermenting beer.

when it's late, you can put the lid on the fermenter, put some vodka in the airlock, and pitch the next morning. i just pitched this morning into some wort i did 3 days ago

If you don't have a local home brew shop check Bed Bath & Beyond. They were carrying MR Beer kits and the refills. You could rehydrate and pitch both packets from a refill kit. (it's under the lid of the LME). Not saying its good yeast, but it probably beats bakers yeast.

Yeah, I'd say you killed your yeast. But, there is a chance that some may have survived. Take Revvy's advice and check the gravity. If it hasn't changed from the reading you took before pitching, then go get more yeast. If it has changed, then you have some survivors, you just need to give them more time to do their job.

Baker's yeast might do the trick, but I've never used it. I have no idea what alcohol content it can withstand, and I have no idea what flavors you'd get from it.

Good luck.

Thanks guys i think I better find some more yeast somewhere, I didnt do an initial gravity reading... stupid to brew at 230am arghhh any other ideas ill check bed bath and beyond

LA doesn't have any home brew stores?

What about this place:

We are full service retail stores specializing in home beer and wine making equipment and supplies. There are now two locations to serve you: Culver City Home Brewing Supply is conveniently located on the west side of Los Angeles, not far from LAX. Eagle Rock Home Brewing Supply is convenient to the east side, Pasadena and Hollywood. Feel free to contact us with any questions about brewing!

Culver City Hours: M-W, Fri, & Sat 11am-7pm, Thurs 11am-9pm, and Sun 12-4pm

Eagle Rock Hours: Wed, Thurs, Fri, & Sat 11am-7pm, and Sun 12-4pm

http://www.brewsupply.com/

Gotta be better than grabbing a stale MR. Beer from Bed bath and Beyond.

Good luck

Back