No boil wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4thewife

Reaction score
Well, not sure if this subject is on here. I didn't search but thought I would post it just in case.

I learned the hard way that the SS pot I have and our induction stove don't mix. I had it on high for over an hour and it never did boil. I had to take it out and put it on the side burner on our grill.

Seems that I have a concave bottom or not completely flat SS pot bottom and so it will not work on our stove. Good thing I had the grill. Just hope all that extra time on the stove at 160 degrees before I got outside to boil it didn't hurt anything.

You should be fine, I'll assume you did a full boil?

If yes, I don't know anyone that has been able to bring that volume to boil on a stove, we all use propane burners for that reason.

The object of a good vigorous boil is to concentrate the wort and drive off DMS. Assuming you got a good boil after moving outside and hit your OG you should be fine, just took a lot longer. Your hop utilization may be off a bit but that's hard to calculate at this point.

In the future, if you want to do full boils indoors you should use two kettles on two burners.

I don't know anyone that has been able to bring that volume to boil on a stove, we all use propane burners for that reason.
Haven't used my Bayou burner in years. Here's 9 gallons of Old Ale boiling on my GE stove top.

50gal_pot_5.jpg

To the OP: Will a magnet stick to the bottom of your pot?

Not sure about an induction stove but I use an electric stove inside and have issues bringing 6.5 gallons to a full and rolling boil.

I don't think the extra time will have a negative effect on your wort.

We have an old 1940's cast iron oven/stove in our place and one of the burners is ridiculous on that thing. I've never had any problems getting a serious boil going on 9 gallons of wort in relatively short order on it. I do insulate the top half of my BK and that does help a lot.

"The object of a good vigorous boil is to concentrate the wort and drive off DMS."
Is this a concern with extract with grains?
I tried getting 4 1/2 gallons to boil, which took a long, long time, and sort of did, but it was not rigorous. If anything was added it took a while to return to a low boil, and would even have problems just from stirring.
Does this impact hop utilization?

From what I have been able to find out about induction stoves, they just don't create enough energy to boil something that big. Stuck with a turkey fryer for now...
Well, I've switch from using the gas stove top in my first post in this thread to an induction plate.

Here's 11 gallons boiled down to 9 in 75 minutes in a 62 quart SS Bayou pot.
(With a little help from a Keg Koozy.)
Works great!

51045d1330895948-keg-koozy-kegkoozy2.jpg.jpg

I got it to a rolling boil and did it for an hour. It seems even the side burner had some trouble because it never got to a serious hard boil but it did make it to a low one.

It seems since the bottom of my pot is not flat that is an issue. I wonder if it would even work with a separate induction plate like AnOldUR has?

To AnOldUR, yes a magnet sticks to the pot. I'm starting out small, mine was only 2.5 gallons of wort. :mug:

rodwha said:
"The object of a good vigorous boil is to concentrate the wort and drive off DMS."
Is this a concern with extract with grains?
I tried getting 4 1/2 gallons to boil, which took a long, long time, and sort of did, but it was not rigorous. If anything was added it took a while to return to a low boil, and would even have problems just from stirring.
Does this impact hop utilization?

If you were doing an extract kit which I assume you were, it's a partial boil and then you top off, he hops in the kit are calculated for this type of kit.

Make my own recipes using hopville. I boiled water to find my estimated boil off, and entered the median as my average boil volume.
But reaching the boiling point is a reach, and a stretch when I add things to the wort other than the hops. But even the act of stirring disrupts my boil, and so I was curious as to how that relates to my hop utilization, as well as the "concentration of my wort."
My understanding is that since the original wort was made beforehand the DMS problem has been addressed, and isn't a concern.

Well, I've switch from using the gas stove top in my first post in this thread to an induction plate.

Here's 11 gallons boiled down to 9 in 75 minutes in a 62 quart SS Bayou pot.
(With a little help from a Keg Koozy.)
Works great!

Where did you find that? If I had a flat bottom kettle I this would get me away from propane. I do 12 gallon boils.

Well, not sure if this subject is on here. I didn't search but thought I would post it just in case.

I learned the hard way that the SS pot I have and our induction stove don't mix. I had it on high for over an hour and it never did boil. I had to take it out and put it on the side burner on our grill.

Seems that I have a concave bottom or not completely flat SS pot bottom and so it will not work on our stove. Good thing I had the grill. Just hope all that extra time on the stove at 160 degrees before I got outside to boil it didn't hurt anything.

go to a sheet metal shop. have them cut a 14-16 gauge disk the same diameter as your burner. lay it on the stove and put your pot on it. This will let you use a large soup pot(brew pot) on a picky induction stove.

Where did you find that? If I had a flat bottom kettle I this would get me away from propane.
I got mine here, but the price has gone up. With a discount code I paid just over $100 and that included shipping. One thing to consider is that they claim these pots are 304 stainless, but 304 is non-magnetic and would not work on a induction stove. When I bought mine I was not even considering induction, so I was happy to later find that they were wrong and that my pot would work with it. Everyone that I've communicated with says that their Bayou pots are magnetic. YMMV

I got mine here, but the price has gone up. With a discount code I paid just over $100 and that included shipping. One thing to consider is that they claim these pots are 304 stainless, but 304 is non-magnetic and would not work on a induction stove. When I bought mine I was not even considering induction, so I was happy to later find that they were wrong and that my pot would work with it. Everyone that I've communicated with says that their Bayou pots are magnetic. YMMV

That's a great link to a pot but I was more wondering about the induction stove.

Latest posts

Back