New member, need to educate myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummer43

Reaction score
Hi all, I just joined and I'd like to educate myself a little bit about home brewing. I have been browsing the forums and I don't know what a lot of the terms you guys use mean. Can anyone point me to a site where they are described?

I have found this website and I'll be reading through it in my spare time. I'm a full time student at the moment, but I'd like to learn about this hobby in my free time and then when I'm done school I'd like to buy a set-up and get started. http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

I know a great way to learn about home brewing is to read the printed literature, but I have so much reading to do for school that opening another book would make me want to jump out off a bridge. Any informative websites or blogs would be appreciated, though!!

Can someone explain the difference between the brewing styles. All-grain, extract, etc? Which is best? Which is easiest? Which is cheapest?

Can someone explain the difference between the brewing styles. All-grain, extract, etc? Which is best? Which is easiest? Which is cheapest?

You're basically asking to re-write how to brew for you with that question. It's really all answered in the book. Probably better and more succinctly than any of us could. So just look through that book and you will find a great breakdown on each process.

As to "best," you will find that there really is no BEST in brewing, beer can be made successfully using various modalities, and various equiptment very effectively, because it is not the equiptment or the ingredients that make a good beer, it is the brewer that makes either great or lousy beer. It is his individul process. SO there really is no BEST in brewing, just what works best for me. And that's figured out through experience and experimentation.

Hours of useless arguments have been had about what is "best" and when you boil down to it, they all make beer....good or bad beer depending on the brewer, but they all make beer.

There is a saying in brewing, "As 10 different brewers the same question, and you will get 12 different answers, and they will all be right. If you get my drift.

You're basically asking to re-write how to brew for you with that question. It's really all answered in the book. Probably better and more succinctly than any of us could. So just look through that book and you will find a great breakdown on each process.

As to "best," you will find that there really is no BEST in brewing, beer can be made successfully using various modalities, and various equiptment very effectively, because it is not the equiptment or the ingredients that make a good beer, it is the brewer that makes either great or lousy beer. It is his individul process. SO there really is no BEST in brewing, just what works best for me. And that's figured out through experience and experimentation.

Hours of useless arguments have been had about what is "best" and when you boil down to it, they all make beer....good or bad beer depending on the brewer, but they all make beer.

There is a saying in brewing, "As 10 different brewers the same question, and you will get 12 different answers, and they will all be right. If you get my drift.

Got it, thanks!

There are three main methods for brewing - All Grain, Partial Mash, and Extract. I am sure others will argue there additional ones, but for the sake of an arguement we'll stay with these three.

To brew beer, you need four ingredients at a minimum, fermentable sugars, yeast, hops and water. You can add more stuff if you want but those four make beer beer.

The three methods differ in how the fermentable sugar is derived. With All Grain, the sugars are essentially extracted from the grains. Partial Mash is a mix between getting the sugars from the grain as well as using some type of malt extract (liquid or dry). Finally, Extract is using concentrated malt extract as the base for the fermentable sugars.

At a high level the process for All Grain is
1) Soak the grains in water
2) Rinse the sugar off of the grains into a big pot
3) Boil the liquid with some hops
4) Cool, add yeast and let ferment
5) Drink

Partial Mash is essentially the same but you add some malt extract in step 3.

Extract eliminates steps 1 & 2 and uses all extract in step 3.

The entire process is more elaborate than these 5 steps but hopefully that help explains how the three methods relate to each other.

As far as time - Extract is the quickest, then Partial and then All Grain

As far as simplicity - For a beginner, extract is the easiest. I would not recommend using the other two until you have some experience. There are very experienced homebrewers who only brew extracts so quality is not sacrified for simplicity in this case.

As far as cost - The initial investment in equipment for Partial Mash or All Grain can be significantly more than extract. All three methods use the basic equipment, but all grain requires bigger pots than you may need for extract as well as some additional equipment to support steps 1 & 2 above. That being said, the ingredient cost to make a batch tends to be lower for all grain. I am sure some will debate that point though.

My advice is stick to extract, determine if you like it, if so, gradually buy or build what you need to advance. The nice aspect of this hobby is that it is not very linear to advance. You can stay with extract but move from bottling to kegging. You can move to all grain but still use bottles. You can make your own recipes, use ones from this site or buy kits. You can use the same kit and change one of the ingredients to get a different tast. There are so many variables that you can continually make changes gradually without investing a lot of money at one time.

I would also recommend the Palmer book as have others. Some of the major etailers also have introduction to brewing material on their sites.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/faq?catid=1

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/videos.php

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/marketing-categories/new-brewers/

http://morebeer.com/search/103579

If you do like it and stay with it, check the classified ads here as well as the DIY section to buy or build additional equipment instead of buying it new.

There are three main methods for brewing - All Grain, Partial Mash, and Extract. I am sure others will argue there additional ones, but for the sake of an arguement we'll stay with these three.

To brew beer, you need four ingredients at a minimum, fermentable sugars, yeast, hops and water. You can add more stuff if you want but those four make beer beer.

The three methods differ in how the fermentable sugar is derived. With All Grain, the sugars are essentially extracted from the grains. Partial Mash is a mix between getting the sugars from the grain as well as using some type of malt extract (liquid or dry). Finally, Extract is using concentrated malt extract as the base for the fermentable sugars.

At a high level the process for All Grain is
1) Soak the grains in water
2) Rinse the sugar off of the grains into a big pot
3) Boil the liquid with some hops
4) Cool, add yeast and let ferment
5) Drink

Partial Mash is essentially the same but you add some malt extract in step 3.

Extract eliminates steps 1 & 2 and uses all extract in step 3.

The entire process is more elaborate than these 5 steps but hopefully that help explains how the three methods relate to each other.

As far as time - Extract is the quickest, then Partial and then All Grain

As far as simplicity - For a beginner, extract is the easiest. I would not recommend using the other two until you have some experience. There are very experienced homebrewers who only brew extracts so quality is not sacrified for simplicity in this case.

As far as cost - The initial investment in equipment for Partial Mash or All Grain can be significantly more than extract. All three methods use the basic equipment, but all grain requires bigger pots than you may need for extract as well as some additional equipment to support steps 1 & 2 above. That being said, the ingredient cost to make a batch tends to be lower for all grain. I am sure some will debate that point though.

My advice is stick to extract, determine if you like it, if so, gradually buy or build what you need to advance. The nice aspect of this hobby is that it is not very linear to advance. You can stay with extract but move from bottling to kegging. You can move to all grain but still use bottles. You can make your own recipes, use ones from this site or buy kits. You can use the same kit and change one of the ingredients to get a different tast. There are so many variables that you can continually make changes gradually without investing a lot of money at one time.

I would also recommend the Palmer book as have others. Some of the major etailers also have introduction to brewing material on their sites.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/faq?catid=1

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/videos.php

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/marketing-categories/new-brewers/

http://morebeer.com/search/103579

If you do like it and stay with it, check the classified ads here as well as the DIY section to buy or build additional equipment instead of buying it new.

Thank you for taking the time to write that!

I know that this is way above me at this point, but why type of brewing process is used to make the Belgian Trappist ales?

I know that this is way above me at this point, but why type of brewing process is used to make the Belgian Trappist ales?

They, like every style of beer can be made, as an extract, partial mash or allgrain. It is really just how much of the work of converting starch to sugar is done by you or by the maltser (the maker of the extract or grain.)

Under my avatar is a button that says "recipes" if you pull it down and select "Old Bog Road Brown Ale" you can see different versions of the same recipe, done all the way from 100% extract to 100% all grain, and various combinations (partial mash sizes) in between.

The beer ends up the same, it is just that the brewer gets there slightly differently.

Back