Is my first batch ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miner33

Reaction score
I started my first batch of homebrew today using a kit from Brewers Best, the American Amber. I thought I followed the directions pretty closely, but my starting gravity was super-low! Around 1.02. Any ideas what went wrong and is this batch ruined?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Brandon

Welcome Brandon!
Most of the time it's because you didn't get the top off water and the wort mixed enough. The wort being heavier sank to the bottom and you took your sample from the top. It happens all the time but your (soon to be) beer is fine. Give it a few weeks and tell us how good your first batch came out tasting.

RDWHAHB(Relax, don't worry, have a home brew or microbrew if no homebrew). Exactly what he said ^^^^^^. Next time mix thoroughly, then take a reading.

PS- Welcome to this crazy addictive hobby!

Thanks for all the replies! I feel a lot better.

Another question, Can I check the gravity again after I've already sealed the fermenter? May be a stupid question, but I'm a beginner. The beer has definitely begun fermenting since the airlock is bubbling.

Thanks for all the replies! I feel a lot better.

Another question, Can I check the gravity again after I've already sealed the fermenter? May be a stupid question, but I'm a beginner. The beer has definitely begun fermenting since the airlock is bubbling.

Sure, you can, as long as you have sanitized the wine thief or the turkey baster you're using to pull out your samples. But, why? If it's already fermenting, it's changed from whatever it was when it started, and it's no where close to done. It wouldn't give you any helpful information at all.

I'd wait a week, then check it. And, that's a great time to drink the hydrometer sample. By then, it should taste like warm flat beer. :tank:

The recipe for this beer kit said to ferment for 7 days then bottle and let sit for 2 weeks. Everything I'm reading on this board talks about leaving it in the fermenter longer and possibly secondary conditioning the beer. Thoughts?

The recipe for this beer kit said to ferment for 7 days then bottle and let sit for 2 weeks. Everything I'm reading on this board talks about leaving it in the fermenter longer and possibly secondary conditioning the beer. Thoughts?

Personal preference to be honest! Obviously the longer you wait the better.

I think most kits say only 7 days in the primary and then bottle because they are trying to get you drinkable beer faster. It will definitely improve with 3-4 weeks in the primary or secondary depending on which route you go.

The recipes always seem to encourage you to ferment for only 4-7 days, bottle and then drink quickly. I would guess it's because if it said on the box, "Ferment for three weeks, then bottle and wait three more weeks", then people might not buy it. But trust us on this- wait AT LEAST two weeks before bottle. After the hydrometer reading is stable, wait a bit more. There are reasons for this- first, after the bulk of fermentation is done, the yeast are still busy. They even digest their own waste products, when there is no more fermentable sugar for them to eat. This "cleans up" the beer and makes it taste better.

Also, sediment will fall out of the beer, leaving a cleaner beer. It won't harm you, but I'd rather have it fall out in the fermenter rather than in my bottles! The more crud left in the fermenter, the the less "stuff" in your bottles, and the beer will look better besides. A week old homebrew will be murky and cloudy. An older homebrew will look more like a commercial beer.

A little age makes the beer taste better, too. It'll be smoother, richer, with a better mouthfeel. It will blend in better, too. The harsh hops notes will smooth and mellow, while the malt flavors will meld. A three week old beer may be kind of drinkable, but an 8 week old one is excellent.

I start drinking quite a few of my ales at 5-6 weeks old, but the best pint is always the last!

The recipes always seem to encourage you to ferment for only 4-7 days, bottle and then drink quickly. I would guess it's because if it said on the box, "Ferment for three weeks, then bottle and wait three more weeks", then people might not buy it. But trust us on this- wait AT LEAST two weeks before bottle. After the hydrometer reading is stable, wait a bit more. There are reasons for this- first, after the bulk of fermentation is done, the yeast are still busy. They even digest their own waste products, when there is no more fermentable sugar for them to eat. This "cleans up" the beer and makes it taste better.

Also, sediment will fall out of the beer, leaving a cleaner beer. It won't harm you, but I'd rather have it fall out in the fermenter rather than in my bottles! The more crud left in the fermenter, the the less "stuff" in your bottles, and the beer will look better besides. A week old homebrew will be murky and cloudy. An older homebrew will look more like a commercial beer.

A little age makes the beer taste better, too. It'll be smoother, richer, with a better mouthfeel. It will blend in better, too. The harsh hops notes will smooth and mellow, while the malt flavors will meld. A three week old beer may be kind of drinkable, but an 8 week old one is excellent.

I start drinking quite a few of my ales at 5-6 weeks old, but the best pint is always the last!

Wow! That was VERY WELL SAID!:mug:

Let me add, that the hydrometer is not a thermometer, and there is no need to shake it during use. Shaking form one end will always cause the device to break because it is so thin. no shaking.

Back