Leaky Carboy Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signaltwonoise

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the hobby (just got my first kit this past x-mas), and this site has been a great resource! Kudos to the organizers and posters.

So here's my situation: I brewed up a hefewizen this last Friday and racked it to a 6.5 gallon carboy for primary. Sealed it with a carboy cap (one of these little guys). I've read that they tend to leak (actually fastened the base around the top of the carboy with a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands), but used them before with no problem. I had visible signs of fermentation about 12h after pitching, but little to no airlock activity. I decided to let it sit over the weekend before investigating. There must've been a leak in the cap - closer inspection just now revealed a strong yeast-y smell around the base of the cap. I quickly sanitized and installed a rubber bung and fresh airlock, which seems to have done the trick.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear since I have an Asberger's-like fixation with sanitization, but any chance something could've gotten in there while the seal wasn't airtight? Or DWHAHB?

Thanks!

-E

You should definitely not worry about it. Mine leak was well. I put a zip-tie (cable tie) around the cap to help tighten it. Fermentation causes CO2 production (hence the reason why the air lock bubbles). CO2 is heavier than air, so during fermentation, any air in the headspace in pushed out by the growing "blanket" of CO2. There very little-to-no chance of anything getting back into your beer.

Latest posts

Back