I can't believe I....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
Pushed my rubber stopper all the way into the carboy. Oops! Beer muscles strike again. lol Now I am fermenting an English bitter with a sanitized rubber plug in it.

Any ideas how to remove it (obviously after the batch is done)?:eek:

Do a search on how to remove a cork from a bottle.

The trick is to fold a cloth napkin, slide it into the neck, encircle the stopper, then drag it out. This can be done.

Or do it like this:

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE! I can't be the first to do it, but I might send you a six pack if I can actually get that to work with a 6.5 gallon carboy. Thanks for the idea.

NICE! I can't be the first to do it, but I might send you a six pack if I can actually get that to work with a 6.5 gallon carboy. Thanks for the idea.

Hah. Good luck. I'm sure you're not the first, but I've never done this myself (I use bungs, not stopper, they are a bit different).

If at any time you feel compelled to "give back" to the community, please just get a membership to this forum. It's the wellspring of information that keeps us all brewing.

Cheers! :mug:

I did this on my last batch. Poured it all back out into the kettle, used bent forks to tong the rubber stopper, removed it & repoured my brew. Least I know it was well aerated.

I did this with an empty carboy not too long ago... I turned it upside down and maneuvered to get the stopper to sit on the other side of the neck on its side. After that, a pair of pliers worked to grab it and just pull it out.

I did it making a one gallon batch of mead. Luckily it was just an old plastic jug and I was backsweetening when i did it. I just threw some sanitized foil over it and let it be for a couple of weeks and bottled. It didn't seem to hurt the mead, only time will tell.

Back