Good rinse, then sanitize bottles OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I usually pour my beer in a glass and then rinse really well immediately to remove any yeast on the bottom. Do I have to clean if I rinse immediately? Can I just sanitize them before bottling?

I just rinse well when I pour the beer, invert in a dishrack to drain then on bottling day I just sanitize and bottle. A good rinse after pouring the beer saves a ton of time on bottling day IMO.

I just rinse well when I pour the beer, invert in a dishrack to drain then on bottling day I just sanitize and bottle. A good rinse after pouring the beer saves a ton of time on bottling day IMO.

+1 to this. This is exactly what I do... as soon as I pour the beer, I take the empty bottle to the sink and add a little bit of water. Then I put my thumb over the spout and shake several times. Dump and repeat twice. Then I look into the bottle to make sure it looks clean. Then on bottling day I let the bottle soak for a few minutes in sanitizer.

I soak mine in oxyclean between batches, but that's because I usually have bottles to delabel and they all go in the tub together.

Plus, I'm anal.

I have just rinsed but currently give them a quick scrub. I'm looking to find or make something I can use to give them more of a quick mopping instead of jamming a brush in them. I'm looking for something to just more or less wipe the insides.

+1 to this. This is exactly what I do... as soon as I pour the beer, I take the empty bottle to the sink and add a little bit of water. Then I put my thumb over the spout and shake several times. Dump and repeat twice. Then I look into the bottle to make sure it looks clean. Then on bottling day I let the bottle soak for a few minutes in sanitizer.

I just swirl mine around a few times, rinse and repeat. I am glad I am not the only one beer goggling to make sure there's no yeast on the bottom. On bottling day I rinse the bottles out with just a little water just to make sure no dust has collected in them. Then I spray them with sanitizer and I start bottling.

Yeah. There is really no reason to do more than a couple rinse-shake-repeats.

Back