Good beer mug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this might sound stupid but what is the "right" kind of mug/glass to drink beer from. I keep seeing diferent styles and was curious. I normally drink out of a very tall skinny glass beer mug or a simple pint glass.

I know that sam adams has a laser etched glass designed to release bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Does this change the overall taste?

Does the diameter of the lip change the flavor alowing the beer to breath?

Finally, what temp should the glass be? I've always kept my mug in the frezzer, if its dirty I grab one out of the cuboard.

In the end I'm still going to enjoy my beer and be happy. But since I don't normally have multiple beers a night it is hard to compair. Especialy since I normaly try and switch beers up, so it is rare that I will drink the same beer two days in a row.

So if anyone has some insite I would love to hear it

I like a nice pint glass. Reliable...simple...plus they can be washed in dishwasher, unlike the fancy drinking glasses.

I enjoy collecting beer glasses. Start doing this.:rockin: Enjoy your different beer and different glasses. I like to wet my glass before I pour. Glass should be room temp, NOT FROZEN!:D

I've been using Guinness pint glasses for my home brew... Found the brew tastes much better if I leave them in the cupboard and DON'T freeze/chill them.

For mugs, I have yet to use my two with Guinness emblems on them (pewter emblems, glass mugs), but I plan to soon...

There are places/people that say different shape glasses/mugs for different styles of brew... I've yet to have a brew taste BAD due to using a different shape glass/mug... Although maybe everything just tastes great from a Guinness glass... :rockin:

I like a nice frosty mug...chills the lips prior to sipping, and keeps the beer cooler during drinking. My house is awfully hot.

Why would it be wet/have freezer funk? I put a dry glass in the freezer.

If you have a true 'frosty' mug, you have just deposited a layer of condensed freezer funk on your glass.

I use a simple pint glass for all beer styles. Most people wont be able to tell the difference in taste or aroma using different glasses.

There really are different glasses for different styles of beers. I have at least six different styles in my collection (besides 30 or so Steins). It would take a lot to convince me that the beer tastes any different from one glass to another though.

From my experience, the type of glass has to do with three things 1. Regional preference; 2. Amount of beer it should hold; 3. What feature is it designed to accentuate. Take three German beer styles: A Munich light lager is typically served in a liter stein or .5 liter glass. It's a lot of beer and head retention isn't as important. The stein is designed to be filled quickly. Central Germans like Pilseners. They're served in a .33 to .5L glass with a shape that accentuates the head. Head retention is very important. They say that it takes seven minutes to pour a good pilsner. In Cologne, they drink Koelsch from narrow .2 liter glasses. They are filled quickly, with little concern about head.

Although, I enjoy drinking from my steins, I'd agree that the Guiness style pints are a great beer glass.

Moose

A nice Duvel tulip will make almost any beer taste better (at least thats what I think). Bonus is that you can nearly fit an enter 22oz bottle in one.

I like to use a big enough glass that will hold 22 oz, so I don't have to worry about yeast dregs getting in my glass when I go for second pour.

I'm of the firm belief that any beer should be consumed from a quart mason jar. this is plenty big for a 22oz bottle, and has a nice size.

I pretty much just use pint glasses. Are there minor differences that can affect taste and head retention? Probably so, but not enough for me to be concerned about it.

I think having the appropriate glass for the style enhances the beer experience. I have Shaker, Pub, Flute, Pilsner, Snifter, Dimpled Mug, Stange, Belgian Chalice and Tulip glasses. Too much fun to collect beer paraphernalia.

If I was stranded on an island and I could only have one beer glass it would probably be the shaker glass. Just hoping it would be an island with hot springs, barley fields and native hops!

For the most part, I use pint glasses and mugs. I have a couple of pilsner glasses that make the rotation as well. I also have a couple of those glycerin filled 'frozen mugs' I use for BMC's, for when I'm lookin' to get my ****ty on and in a hurry! :)

I'm of the firm belief that any beer should be consumed from a quart mason jar. this is plenty big for a 22oz bottle, and has a nice size.

I'm glad I am not the only one that uses quart mason jars.. I do some canning so they are always available.

This is the mug I normally use (w/ 12 oz of Samuel Adams Irish Red)

IMG_6416.JPG

P.S. what does "BMC" mean?

I have a stack of pint glasses that work well for everyday drinking with friends, pilsner glasses for showing off a pretty beer, weizen glasses for when I want a head on a beer, a pub glass, one of the glycerin-filled plastic jobs for drinking by the pool, and six Tiffany&co cut-crystal beer mugs for whenever anyone needs convincing that beer can be classy (they were a "congrats on surviving 5 years in this hole" gift from a company I once worked at.)

I believe in variety. I believe that the "right" glass is the one I feel like drinking out of at the moment.

I collect a variety of glasses for different styles. tulips, pilsners, flutes and even some cool goblets for special occassions. but my "go to" glass will always be the trusty old pint

Ok I have a 1liter mug it is my favorite Fill it up and go LOL. I have 22 oz mugs for when friends come over. I have Pilsner Glasses for making it look pretty. And a 1 liter boot for showing off. I have Many Steins for when I go to the German Club about twice a month. Also have Pub pint glasses. But usually I just drink from the 22 oz mugs. I dont think the glass is gonna make the beer taste bad.

Latest posts

Back