First Boil Today - Forgot to Measure OG.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
Well, my first shot at brewing beer is in the primary. Like Ohiosteve, I chilled mine farther than intended. So, it's in the primary on top of the yeast and resting at 63 degrees.

The only mistake I KNOW that I made is that I forgot to read the OG. Should I pull the lid at this point, (about 5 hours after pitching), or just skip it?

Is it an extract batch? If so, you can just get the SG from your recipe, assuming you used the right amount of water. You can take a sample, though, with a sanitized thief or autosiphon.

Yes, it is an extract batch. So, I do have the info from the recipe. I just didn't know if it was too late to bother with OG or not.

I'd just derive the gravity from the recipe. As long as you used the specified amount of water, with an extract recipe, you really can't miss your starting gravity.

Great. Thanks for the reassurance. Since this is my first batch, I guess I'll have to RDWHACB (commercial beer)

I've got the ale pail in a Rubbermaid container with water up to about the 3 gallon mark on the pail and am swapping out frozen gallon jugs. I've been able to keep temps down between 60-68 degrees so far.

I've forgotten to measure before. Actually several times.. I always consider taking the measurement after pitching but just leave well enough alone. I know my system pretty well and rarely miss my expected OG. I just assume I hit it and calculate what it should have been by the recipe. I end up checking the FG a week later and both recipes have been just fine.

I'd just skip it and the odds are with you that everything is just fine. Just remember to take one next time :)

Still no activity in the airlock. Should I just let it sit, or open the lid and see if I see any activity in the bucket?

NO! just let it sit - quick, before Revvy gets here! ;)

I would hold off on doing anything until after a few days (read: 5 or so), then take a gravity reading - chances are you have a leak somewhere and CO2 is escaping through there. Either that, or you have a very sneaky fermentation, either way, just wait it out.

Also - RDWHACB -commercial beer!? Nay nay friend! If anything, Relax, Dont Worry, Have A Craft Brew!

NO! just let it sit - quick, before Revvy gets here! ;)

I would hold off on doing anything until after a few days (read: 5 or so), take a gravity reading - chances are you have a leak somewhere and CO2 is escaping through there. Either that, or you have a very sneaky fermentation, either way, just wait it out.

My hope has been that the seal on the lid is leaking. I just wasn't sure how long I needed to wait to take a gravity reading.

In the event the yeast was DOA and I need to re-pitch, how long can wort sit before it goes bad with no yeast? I ordered some spare yeast yesterday, but have no LHBS.

As long as its covered and safe, you should be alright until the yeast arrives - certainly take a gravity reading before considering re-pitching though

I finally saw some airlock activity and smelled the gas last night. It lifted the dome part of the airlock up to the airlock cap. It went 5 days before any sign of fermentation. It looks like my kit may have included some of the recalled Nottingham that is starting very slowly.

So, I'm glad I didn't open it up. It just goes to show the truth of RDWHAHB!

It would seem, at this point, that I am making beer!

Still no activity in the airlock. Should I just let it sit, or open the lid and see if I see any activity in the bucket?

I've found that with the pails, the lid doesn't seal tightly enough for there to be visible activity in the airlock, but you can usually tell it's working because you get a beer smell if you put your nose next to it.

Yeah, I can smell the beer smell as of last night. Prior to that though, no smell at all.

Try getting an O ring for your lid or a better one for next time and use a rubber mallet to seat it tight. hammer one spot and then the opposite spot on the other side. work your way round in a star like pattern. good luck! enough co2 should escape the leak to prevent contamination and oxygen entry.

Back