Can fermentation gas kill my parrot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek704

Reaction score
I was wondering if keeping the fermenter in the same room as my parrot would be safe? I have an air purifier in there, and I don't know why it wouldn't be safe, but I am asking just in case. Note, I didn't have any issues with my first batch, but this second one is a little more vigorous (and smelly).

Well, when you go into the room with your parrot, do you breathe? We all expel the same gas when we exhale as what comes out of the fermenter.:D

I might be more worried having a parrot in same room as my beer. Not sure if I would take my hydrometer readings in there

I think the best way to take care of the parrot is to wrap him in bacon and roast.

He should be fine. I doubt your beer will off-gas enough CO2 to kill him.

E's pining for the fiords!

Thanks, I'm off to youtube to watch the video again.

All you've got to do is nail his little feet to the perch...

I'm not sure how dropping a bird in the secondary would be. I think someone on here decided to make thanksgiving beer with turkey and cranberries, so you might want to search for that thread. Of course the oils will not help head retention, but you probably already knew that. Personally, i'd not want the feathers and gizzards in the beer, but that might be more work than it's worth.

Either way, make sure you let us know how it turns out! Maybe dry-birded IPA is the next big thing started by homebrewers.

...and with the recent spate of trolling, here's how it was done by the masters way before anyone even thought of the internet.

Watch the professional's at work...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to keep the parrot I recommend getting your beer out of there. I'll take it off your hands. I'll even pay for shipping.

I'm not sure how dropping a bird in the secondary would be. I think someone on here decided to make thanksgiving beer with turkey and cranberries, so you might want to search for that thread. Of course the oils will not help head retention, but you probably already knew that. Personally, i'd not want the feathers and gizzards in the beer, but that might be more work than it's worth.

Either way, make sure you let us know how it turns out! Maybe dry-birded IPA is the next big thing started by homebrewers.

LMFAO!! Clever!

But what if the parrot's gas kills fermentation?

<LMAO Great thread>

Since this thread is already so awesome...

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy goes into a store to buy a parrot. the shopkeeper tells him he's got the perfect bird for him. "Smartest parrot in the world" and leads him over to a parrot with a string tied to each leg.

"Pull one string and the bird recites the Lord's Prayer" Pull the other and he recites the Gettysburg Address"

"what happens if I pull both strings?"

"I fall on my ass" says the parrot.

#2 A farmer is working in the field, He hears a voice from above and looks up to see two guys in a hot air ballon.

"Where are we?" says one of the guys...

"You're in a balloon, you damned fools" replied the farmer.

#3 Guy walks up to an airline ticket counter and says "I'd like to buy a round trip ticket"

"Where to" says the ticket agent.

"Well, right back here, you damned fool" says the guy.

I'm done. Try the veal.

Latest posts

Back