Can fermentation gas kill my parrot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monty-Python-Dead-Parrot-Ceased-To-Be-T-Shirt-sq.jpg

On a more serious note, birds *do* have very sensitive respiratory systems. Burning scented candles and cooking with Teflon cookware CAN kill your parrot.

It may seem funny, but the question originally posed is actually a good one. I'd personally err on the side of caution and keep the fermentation well ventilated if at all possible, and ideally in a separate room at least. There's a good chance the co2 and related aromas released won't cause any issues, but without knowing for sure why risk it?

How many fermenters does it take to accidently kill a parrot?

I don't know, how big is the room?

tootsie-pop-owl.jpg

I remembers going to small winery one Fall and we were in room that had a half dozen large fermenters going to town. There was enough CO2 being produced that it burned the eyes and nose a bit and sent my heart rate up.

One carboy of beer is not going to be a problem

No i do not think co2 gas from your fermenter will kill your parrot..but i can guarantee that the gas i produce after a night of homebrew will kill your parrot along with the rest of the animal kingdom

Come clean! What dirt does this parrot have on you? Has it heard too much? Did the things it witness make it "expendable?" Are you afraid it's going to "Squawk" on you? You are a genius to build an alibi if this bird meets an accidental demise. Genius!

Future posts from derek704 may include:

Can fermentation gas kill a fully grown man?
Can fermentation gas kill a fully woman?
Can fermentation gas kill my fern?

and my favorite...

What sorts of things can I kill with fermentation gas? :)

You are sly derek704! Let us just say we will be keeping our eyes on your future posts.

Yes it probably will die. If it dies flee the room. It's kind of like miners and parakeets

On a serious note: Carbon Dioxide will still asphyxiate you, someone on here came close due to sleeping in his sealed up room with a fermenter going nuts.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/carbon-dioxide-dangerous-151397/

I agree. I had a pet bird and one of the first things they tell you is keep it far from the kitchen as simple things we don't mind like aerosol non-stick spray can kill your pet. While we share the trait of breathing oxygen and exhaling CO2 the birds are much more sensitive to it than we are. As mentioned earlier using a canary as a gauge for the parrot lifespan is exactly what miners did. If you've got nowhere else keep the parrot or fermenters I'd at least try to keep the room ventilated. Open door with a fan, open window, whatever works for you.

Apologies for wrecking the fun. If you'd like to experiment with late pet additions, I'd suggest talking to the local pet store and inquiring about getting a skimmed goldfish or two.

Thunder_Chicken said:
If you have an oxygenation system you can make a oxygen mask / diving helmet for your parrot with a soda bottle: This one is being used for anesthetic, but same idea.

Let me preface this by saying I am an animal lover....

At the risk of upsetting PETA, that is hysterical. I just laughed out loud and people at work are looking at me.

My cat the other night somehow got locked in my fermentation room with 2 - 5 gallon batches... She lived but was hungry the next morning when I found her!

:off:

I had an CO2-related incident when I worked in a lab a few years back. We had a large freezer for dry ice. I was working by myself at night. I put on gloves and reached into the freezer to grab a few pieces of ice at the very bottom of the freezer. My feet were almost off the floor. Of course the freezer was completely filled with CO2 vapors. I instinctively took a deep breath while I was in there and started to black out. Luckily I pulled myself out before I did. I could have easily suffocated.

It would have been an embarassing way to die. They would have found me Monday morning with my feet sticking out of the top of the freezer. Knowing my boss he would have bitched about all the dry ice that I let evaporate. :D

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for all us parrot owners, now the next question to consider is:

How do we know if the airlock has started/stopped bubbling or if it's just the parrot?

Back