Bung dropped in to carboy, what do I do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jar

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing my first batch, a pale ale extract kit. Things have been going swimmingly so far, until now. Fermentation had slowed greatly, so I opened my fermenter and took out a sample to check the SG. SG is down to 1.012 (final is supposed to be 1.008), so I decided to rack into the secondary fermenter (5Gal carboy).

Everything was fine until I went to put the bung in. I must've pushed harder than when I test fit it beforehand, because it dropped right in the beer. I don't have another stopper, and there's no where I can think of to get one at 10:30 PM. Any suggestions? I rubber banded a sanitized plastic bag over the mouth to keep air out as a temporary measure.

Well, I decided to RDWHAHB, and my girlfriend came up with a great idea to hold until morning. We had an unlubricated condom around from a gag gift, so I sanitized it (just in case, you'd think such things would come sanitary), and stuck it over the neck of the carboy. Fermentation is really slow, so it should hold until I can go to the LHBS tomorrow and get one of those nifty universal bungs that won't drop in.

The condom or bag or latex glove, etc. idea should work for ya. If it is still activly fermenting (not the case here) you could poke a tiny pin hole it there. The escaping CO2 from an ACTIVE fermentation will keep and weebeasties out of there.

(pictures inflated condom on top of carboy)

Kudos for practicing "safe" brewing!!:tank:

(this is a good time for thinking of a good name for your beer)

Tommy

HAHAH...

double bag it after active fermentation stops, or your beer may end up with that new strain of bacteria going around... clitorrottencrotch.

and how are you going to get that bung out? I have a feeling it will involve an upside down carboy and a bent over metal coat hanger

The condom seems to be working fine. Should hold until I can go to the homebrew store after work today. And, for your viewing and laughing pleasure, I took a picture this morning when I checked on it.

beerwang.jpeg

Thats got avatar written all over it...LMFAO!!!!

I would put a pin hole in that thing... looks like it hasnt even started yet. That condom is gonna blow the heck up!!

I was thinking about this as an avatar, but thought it best to leave it for jar if he decides to officially join our clan. Too bad David_42 got rid of his bucket-with-the-dildo.

Wow... christ allmighty, that may be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

If they still make "The Sponge", I guess you could filter it through that?

So, given all this, what's the name of your brew going to be?

I'm thinking "Rubber Pail Ale". Rubber due to the 'dry rubbering' from the dropped stopper, and the other more obvious reason. Deliberate use of pail instead of pale, since primary fermentation was in a plastic pail/bucket.

Yeah, the avatar was the reason for the impulse buy of the membership, otherwise I'd've thought about it for at least a day :p

OMG, this is hysterical. Your airlock will keep bacteria from multiplying and breeding that's for sure. I have heard that condoms can prevent infections......but I didn't know that's what the ads meant.

You've certainly taken the phrase, "Use a condom" to heart.

Lorena

HOLY S...! You just turned your brew from an ale into hard liquer!

You are the first to publish the use of Profolactic Bacterial Prevention aka PBP.

Next time try the ribbed kind for her pleasure!!

- WW:mug: WELL DONE!

We bottled this yesterday. Tasted the hydrometer sample, and it tasted like beer! I washed out the carboy, but I haven't removed the stopper yet. I can't wait to open the first one and hear the hiss of carbonation escaping.

jar had me over to get a taste of the homebrew scene - thanks man! Ya put in a little money, some elbow grease (hopped to taste), and you get out beer...what a hobby.

The simplicity of the tools involved, and the process in general, struck me - it's like a well-understood science with endless possibilities for end product. Can't wait to dive in with my own rig.

LMAO! I accidentally pushed my bung into my carboy full of chimay. I guess, it's gonna stay there for the next few weeks, until my Chimay is ready to bottle. I was looking for ideas on how to get the bung out when the time comes, and ran across your forum. I really appreciate the picture. My whole family got a laugh!

...If it is still activly fermenting (not the case here) you could poke a tiny pin hole it there. The escaping CO2 from an ACTIVE fermentation will keep and weebeasties out of there.

(pictures inflated condom on top of carboy)

The only appropriate time to poke a hole in a condom....

Latest posts

Back