How long does extract last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
How long do packages of malt extract last? A friend has a kit from williams that he hasn't used and while the yeast is probably gone, I was wondering if the extract would still be ok to use. He said it could be about a year old.

I've never used anything more than 6 years old, so hard to tell. LME darkens slowly as it ages, but it is packed sterile. In a one year old kit, the only thing I would worry about is the yeast and making a starter would resolve that concern.

An old fart in my hometown gave me a 3.5kg can of "Geordie's american light" extract this spring. As a lark, I brewed up a batch using it, adding some hops and some extra grain:ban: :ban: .

As I opened the heated can, the pressure from within was so great that the lid popped up, hitting my knuckles really hard. This extract was really dark.

Smelled ok as I brewed, fermented really well, cleared out beautifully in the bottle.

Tastes HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this stuff was probably 20 years old, or so. I learned my lesson not to waste my time and other ingredients.

Any can that is pressurized (and shouldn't be) is probably infected with something nasty, like anaerobic bacteria.

It depends on the type of extract. If it's a year old, DME or LME that's packed in the original sealed can (i.e. muntons 3.3 lb cans or such) are fine. If it's bulk LME (i.e. the kit packed the LME from a bulk container into a milk jug or other non original container), toss it.

If it's in a vacuum bag from Williams, it's probably still good. I used a couple that were 7 years old to make some mini mashes and they turned out good.

I brewed with two 3.3 lb munton cans on 11-4-06 and the LME seems, so far, to be just fine.

The syrup was slightly darker though.

Back