Grain bag squeezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that with all of our well thought out conversation on the topic, I think some folks are missing the main point Revvy, and others, are really trying to make: Who cares if there is/is not much benefit in squeezing the grain bag - the point is, why spread unfounded rumours as fact (such as Tannin extraction from squeezing - OoOOoooOOooOo) which give people unreasonable fears, which in turn give way to unnessecary brewing habits/practices that take away from the relaxing hobby that is brewing?

I mean really? The sky is falling chicken little - squeeze or don't squeeze who cares. Fact is, it won't hurt you much either way. And you will not go blind ;)

+1,000,000,000 :mug:

I think that with all of our well thought out conversation on the topic, I think some folks are missing the main point Revvy, and others, are really trying to make: Who cares if there is/is not much benefit in squeezing the grain bag - the point is, why spread unfounded rumours as fact (such as Tannin extraction from squeezing - OoOOoooOOooOo) which give people unreasonable fears, which in turn give way to unnessecary brewing habits/practices that take away from the relaxing hobby that is brewing?

I mean really? The sky is falling chicken little - squeeze or don't squeeze who cares. Fact is, it won't hurt you much either way. And you will not go blind ;)

I don't read that level of fear, doom, unreasonableness, or mindlessness in any of the posts, for or against. This is just a very minor issue at best. Most of us try to keep up with the latest in brewing science.

Just trying to make the best beer possible......

Pez.

PS, I'm still gonna rinse, not squeeze.

This is just a very minor issue at best.

Just trying to make the best beer possible......PS, I'm still gonna rinse, not squeeze.

THIS.
It's not like squeezing saves a ton of time over rinsing, or makes better beer.
And no one is totally right or wrong about how they do it. Just a matter of preferance in the end.

Personally : I like the odds of rinsing to give my beer the best chance of being as good as it can be.

just my .02, if people are doing BIAB and squeezing a gallon or so out and have been doing it for years, it would have been dead by now if it did extract tannins or lead to off flavors. I don't really see how you could gain anything from squeezing or rinsing steeped grains but I can see where you would make a difference with partial mash to BIAB sized stuff.

If large groups are doing it, and have been for a good while, in general its safe to do, otherwise they would have stopped or it wouldn't still be going on.

To each his/her own.

On my next batch I will make 20 satellite samples plus a few standards and run it through a gas chromatography unit for polyphenols and other various compounds. Any suggestion as to what I should make that would be *allegedly* susceptible to whatever *allegedly* happens when you squeeze?

As an aside, I squeeze. Squeezing a cooling mass of grain versus heating a mass of grain with the universal solvent to the point where the solvent enters gas phase . . .

I was introducing a buddy to the art of homebrewing, and he noted that the rinse water ran clear after only a few cups. Using his experience with rice cooking, he filled a bowl with warm water and gently massaged the bag. After about 5 bowls full of glorious dark rich-smelling wort, we called it quits because the boil volume was getting too high.

Moral of the story: I'm done with the rinse. It's all warm-water massages for this guy from now on.

after reading the thread cover to cover my bag could use a gentle warm water massage.
For some people there is no logic only feelings, there is no point useing intellect on them. Revvy you are the man, the man of logical and critical thinking.
Brew on Brother.

Back