Is this the extract "twang"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChessRockwell

Reaction score
Tasting a hefeweizen tonight brewed with 2 cans of Munton's wheat LME and WLP300, and definitely getting an off taste. All the yeasty flavors came through just great, but there's a bad aftertaste right after you swallow that's hard to describe. It reminds me of a similar taste all of my old Mr. Beer batches used to have (at least all the lighter ones). I almost want to call it "soapy" but I don't think cleaning/sanitation is an issue here as none of my other beers have had this taste and I use the same process/equipment. "Wet cardboard" isn't exactly what I would call it but it wouldn't be too far off...
Is this the infamous extract twang I have read so much about? I usually use mostly DME and the last wheat I brewed I used Briess LME. Anyone else have problems with the Munton's cans, and would you agree that's probably the culprit here?

Only been in the bottle about 10 days. I don't have a lot of experience with hefeweizens but have read it's normal to drink them pretty early. Think it could just be a "green beer" taste that would go away? That would be nice...

To combat extract "twang" I start with a bit of DME (1-2 lbs) then add the LME in the last 20 mins of the boil.
However, what you're talking about almost sounds like it was sunstruck. I have a problem with that in the summer if I forget to cover my beer.

Don't blame the extract. It is the metal can it came in. Briess does not come in a metal can. Fresh pineapple versus canned pineapple, for example.

Forrest

Don't blame the extract. It is the metal can it came in. Briess does not come in a metal can. Fresh pineapple versus canned pineapple, for example.

Hmmm... Good point! Would explain why I haven't tasted it since I made those Mr. Beer batches out of a can so long ago. I think the only other time I've used canned extract since then was for a stout, where it was probably better hidden, although there was a slight off flavor I wasn't able to identify...

To combat extract "twang" I start with a bit of DME (1-2 lbs) then add the LME in the last 20 mins of the boil.
However, what you're talking about almost sounds like it was sunstruck. I have a problem with that in the summer if I forget to cover my beer.

Yeah this one was only LME but I did one can at the beginning and one can at the end of the boil. Definitely didn't get any sun anywhere near it, it was in a plastic bucket straight to brown bottles.

That's why I use Cooper's cans. They have this white coating completely covering the inside. I never used Munton's LME,just their DME. Did the can have a liner of any kind?
I know some cheaper brands,like some sold in the UK don't have a liner. That could be it. But it can also be too much LME in at the beginning of the boil getting caramelized & helping to produce the "twang". That one can at the beginning may well have been too much LME to start it with. A 1.7kg can of LME equals 3.74lb. I don't use more than 1.5-2lbs of DME in a 3G partial boil.
A like amount of LME would be better in a partial boil for hop additions ime.

No visible liner on the inside of the can as far as I can remember. Yeah I definitely would have gone with a small amount of DME for the beginning of the boil, but my local health food store where I get most supplies doesn't have wheat DME so all I had was the Muntons cans to work with, without driving an extra hour to the not so local HBS. I'll probably just avoid the Muntons cans in general and stick with their DME or fresher LME from online stores.

I buy some cooper's cans & other brewing stuff to go with it on amazon sometimes. I can get free shipping over $25 that comes in pretty quick.

Back