Another apricot pale ale thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solaris79

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just looking for a little evaluation on a recipe I put together recently. I'm a big fan of Magic Hat #9, but there is no distribution out here in Iowa sadly. After listening to a podcast with one of their brewers, I came up with the following recipe for a 5 gallon batch of a hybrid Belgian apricot pale ale:

6 lbs pale DME
.20 lbs crystal 80
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (30 min)
1 oz Amarillo (10 min)
wyeast Trappist yeast

let that ferment for a week. OG was 1.046. When it got down to 1.012, I transferred it to secondary and added in 3 lbs of fresh apricot purée.

What podcast did you listen to? I love #9 and would enjoy listening to their brewers talk about it.

Just wanted to touch base and say that this is definitely the best beer I've brewed yet. It came out better than I expected, and it's a very drinkable beer. I think it ended up in the 6-7% abv range, but you can't tell.

I'll need a better way to filter out the purée when bottling, since it left a few floaters in there (not really a bad thing. Adds character IMO). Thoughts?

I'll need a better way to filter out the purée when bottling, since it left a few floaters in there (not really a bad thing. Adds character IMO). Thoughts?

People will rack to a tertiary for a couple of days to let those floaters settle. How close to #9 did you get?

Pretty darn close. It's not exact, but if I was going for an exact clone, I would back off on the Amarillo hops.

A coworker of mine is a BJCP judge, and tasted a bottle I gave him last night. The feedback I got was that my recipe was really good, but that I should probably add one more pound of the DME due to the high attenuation of the yeast, and move the amarillo hops addition to 1 minute, or even the chill phase to impart more aroma. Otherwise, no detectible flaws! Definitely happy with how my first non-kit recipe came together!

Nice work! I have been looking to move on from kits as well, so I will definitely keep this recipe on my list of ones to try. Thanks for posting.

Hey all, just an update on this beer. I modified the recipe a little over a month ago, and submitted the results to the Iowa State Fair oenology competition. It was under the 20 - Fruit Beer category. Scored a 35 out of 50 for the BJCP score, and ended up getting second place! Here's the recipe:

2 1/2 gallons of water for the boil

Steep .20 lbs of Crystal 80 for 30 minutes, then bring to a boil.

7 pounds Muntons light DME (60 minute)
1 oz Columbus (60 minute)
1 oz Cascade (30 minute)
1 oz Amarillo (2 minute)

Cool, bring to 5 gallons volume in the fermenter. OG should be somewhere around 1.062 or so.

Add Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast.

Allow to ferment for about a week. I transferred when the gravity got to about 1.014. The Trappist High Gravity is super quick and an almost violent fermentation, so consider a blowoff tube. I was fine in the primary, but things got crazy in the secondary fermentor.

I bought ~3lbs of fresh apricots from the local grocery store. Washed them off, removed the pits, then pureed them up. Put the resulting puree in a pot, and brought the temperature carefully up to about 170F. Held it there for 10 minutes, then cooled using an ice bath. Once the temp was below 80F, I transferred the beer from primary to secondary and carefully poured the apricot puree in and airlocked the secondary. This was a mistake, because the secondary fermentation also became very vigorous. I'll just say a blow off tube is mandatory unless you have a lot of headroom.

I let this sit for another week, then bottled when the FG was about 1.012. Came out amazingly. Very heavy mouthfeel, and kinda similar to Blue Moon for density, but the flavors are very complex and delicious :)

Waiting to hear back what the judges comments were, so there may be some additional tweaking coming.

Full results of the Iowa State Fair can be found at: http://iowabrewersunion.net/

Congrats on the 2nd place. I did my own AG version of this and will be bottling it sometime in the next week.

8lbs American 2-Row Pale Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Honey Malt

0.5 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (10 min)

Safale -05

3 lbs pureed apricots added in secondary with the exact procedure you described. Clocked in at 6.7% ABV and was a little hot when I transferred it over to the secondary. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I'm definitely interested to see how your version turns out, especially with the change in specialty grains and yeast. IMO, the Trappist high gravity yeast really pulled my version together and was a big part of why it did as well as it did. I'll be brewing it again this weekend, and it looks like apricots are disappearing out of the produce departments right now, so it may be the last iteration this year.

Back