What is the American adjunct mash for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I've been reading online and in books about the American adjunct mash.
I understand the process, but I couldn't understand what is it good for.

What part does the boiling step play?

Does this mash give better sugar yield?

Does it alter the adjunct flavor?

Does this mash extracts more or less character out of the adjunct?
If it does extract more flavor, could I do the same process with wheat malt?

thanks

The purpose of the mash is to convert non-fermentable starches into fermentable sugars.
The base malt (which forms the basis of any mash) contains enough enzymes to fully convert it's own starches, and usually has enough enzymes to convert some adjuncts (other products that contain starch but no enzymes for conversion).
The problem comes when you increase the amount of adjuncts beyond the level that can be handled by the enzymes in the base malt. Once you reach this stage, you will be adding starches to the finished brew for no increase in sugar yield.
Most malts are two row malts which contain enough enzymes to convert themselves, but leave very few left over for converting adjuncts. Conversely, 6 row malt (grown only in America) has a higher concentration of enzymes and can convert more adjuncts. However, 6 row malt has lower yields than 2 row.

As for the boil, this has three main purposes.
1. To break down the proteins, causing them to precipitate out (hot break and cold break)
2. To extract the bitterness from the hops
3. To drive off unwanted volatile compounds like DMS that could adversely affect the flavor of the finished brew.

As for adjunct flavor, adjuncts have very little if any flavor, and I think that the vast majority of brewers would agree that it is better to add more malt, rather than adjuncts to increase yield and flavor. The commercial brewers that use large amounts of adjuncts probably do so for cost reasons, but for home brewers, adjuncts are not cheaper than malt.

I hardly ever use adjuncts, but when I do, I keep the amount down to less than 10% of the grist (except for stouts). This allows the adjuncts to provide their benefits (such as improved head retention with flaked barley) without causing conversion problems.

Wheat malt is a base malt, and can be used without problems in small amounts. In larger amounts, it tends to produce cloudy beer, which is fine for some beer types, but I don't like cloudy pale ales.

-a.

I blelieve you miss-understood me, although I highly apreciate your well-detailed answer.

I was talking about the step in the mashing of the adjuncts where the adjunct mash itself is boiled, grain and all, before uniting it with the malt mash. I wasn't talking about the boiling of the wort.

the "Adjunct Mash" method is an alternative to just mashing the combined grain and malt in one mash together.

thanks anyway.

I blelieve you miss-understood me, although I highly apreciate your well-detailed answer.

I was talking about the step in the mashing of the adjuncts where the adjunct mash itself is boiled, grain and all, before uniting it with the malt mash. I wasn't talking about the boiling of the wort.

the "Adjunct Mash" method is an alternative to just mashing the combined grain and malt in one mash together.

thanks anyway.

iirc the mash boil is to break down the adjunct grains shell and to enable the starches to be converted

ie...the adjuncts need to be cooked before use

I'm sorry, but the book you referred to is written for breweries, not home brewers. I didn't understand a thing.
I don't see how the explanation of how to build a steam-jacket-cereal-cooker has any relevance to a home brewer.

The basic concepts are identical for the homebrewer and the commercial brewer.

The basic gist is that the starches from adjuncts like corn and rice are not usable in their native forum. Boiling solubilizes/gelatinizes the starches and they are then available for conversion as dextrins and sugars in the mash. Adding a small portion of your base grain keeps the cereal mash from becoming too gummy. If you use something like flaked maize, it's corn that has already undergone the gelatinization process and can be added directly to your standard mash.

I've seen it more commonly called a 'Cereal Mash' . You might have more luck searching by that name.

thanks anyway.
You're right. I did misunderstand the question. Sorry

-a.

Isn't this just another name for the cereal Mash?

For example I'm doing the grocery and produce challenge, and one of my ingredients is wild rice...I'm going to pre-cook that and add it to my mash tun after it has been cooked down.

A cereal mash is used to gelatinize starches in unmalted grains( which converts the starches into sugar the enzymes can use). Every grain has a different gelatinization temp, and often that's higher than the mash temp, so you need to gelatinize separately. Basically, you boil the grains (rice, corn, whatever) for a while before adding them to the mash. Using about 10% of your base malt in the cereal mash helps it from becoming too gummy, but then you need to maske sure to do a sacc rest on the way to boiling. All of that is why I try to avoid cereal mashes as much as possible! I f I'm gonna use rice, I use Minute Rice, which is already gelatinized. I use flaked corn so I can avoid it there. But for some grains, you just don't have a choice.

If you're having a hard time understanding the page from the e-book referenced above (which is the only page relevant to the topic at hand), have another read through Palmer's www.howtobrew.com, Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing", or another basic brewing text.

Several members have provided fairly complete answers regarding an adjunct/cereal mash. The key words to focus on if you're going to continue researching are: adjunct, cereal, starch, and gelatinize.

I've done a 10/90 malt/feed corn mash and it passed the iodine test after 12 hours. Temp dropped from 150F to 130F. No additional enzyme. Cereal mashed with 25% of that 10 malt before bringing to 190F. This allows for fluidity and helps in stirring to avoid scorching. Allows for more thermally induced convection which also reduces scorching. Also helps pumping if you are operating at that scale.

Back