Storing Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
So I just bought my first 55 # grain bag from fiftypoundsack.com and while it was in shipping I picked up some used 5gal buckets from a local supermarket since they usually throw them away from the bakery department.
I also got some 1gal ziplock bags to double protect the grains.
I wanted to write this to give people not only the idea of how to store their grains but also what numbers to expect.

I was able to fill 12 bags completely full and one bag about 1/3 full. I was able to put 4 bags per 5gal bucket and the 1/3 bag was able to squeeze in one of the buckets with 4 bags already in it. So in total I just needed 3 buckets and 13 ziplock bags to fit 55# of grain. Hope this helps. Cheers.

image-3329439848.jpg

image-1417994996.jpg

Lastly, the box the grains come in is great for adventurous kitties.

image-197252393.jpg

I know its been discussed here before, but I'd add the cat at flame out instead of dry hopping with it.

I use the frosting buckets as well, but I don't also bag the grains. I guess the added barrier's not a bad idea.

I also use these charcoal bins (2 bins per 50#), which stack nice:

!!grains storage.jpg

I use five gallon buckets that I get from a local dairy for $1.50 ea and seal with gamma lids. 1 sack in 2 buckets. They seal tight and just screw on and off. I don't feel any need for anything else.

512GdVUSDmL._SX300_.jpg

If any one needs buckets, Rural King has a promotion this week on their 5 gallon buckets. Buy a $2.99 bucket get a $4 gift card. Yes, they pay you $1 to buy a bucket.

I have two 50 lb sacks sitting on the floor in my "brew room" (storage and fermenting room). Both are opened and just clipped shut. Experience has shown that they will both be gone long before they have any chance of going stale.

Why are the carboys in a bucket??? Prob a rookie question

Why are the carboys on buckets? Because they fit perfectly in the center of that lid, Like carboy coasters; and they should be off the floor due to the temperature of the concrete.

Back