stir during batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmwhyte

Reaction score
Different sources say to put x amount of water gently, stir, wait 10 min drain and repeat with all of your sparge volume to extract the most sugar. Will this be effective? Any other suggestions?

I usually mix up quick and let it settle for a few minutes before starting the vorlauf. I think you want to make sure that you get clean water mixed thoroughly so it can rinse the residual sugars off the grain particles.

EDIT: I also have started doing a single sparge, so after I drain the mash tun, I do the sparge one time and call it good. Lots of people do a double sparge and likely get a small bit of extra efficiency from it, but I would rather not take the time and effort for the difference.

Agreed with Homer. Definitely should stir. Think about a pot full of water and pouring sugar in it. Does stirring help dissolve the sugar? You bet. Same deal here.

I usually mix up quick and let it settle for a few minutes before starting the vorlauf. I think you want to make sure that you get clean water mixed thoroughly so it can rinse the residual sugars off the grain particles.

EDIT: I also have started doing a single sparge, so after I drain the mash tun, I do the sparge one time and call it good. Lots of people do a double sparge and likely get a small bit of extra efficiency from it, but I would rather not take the time and effort for the difference.

Agreed. Double batch sparging seems kind of pointless for the extra effort involved. Although, if you are doing a really big beer, it's probably a good idea. My eff goes down the more grain I use. On the other hand, when I make starter wort, my eff goes off the chart. And for the OP, yes, stir it up real good. Let it sit for 10-15 and then on with the show.

Back