Short vs. Long Boil experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
I'm doing this experiment tonight.....

11 gal batch split
18# 2 row
2# vienna
1# c 40
1# c 20
1# carapils

12 gal. collected in bk @ 80% eff for preboil vol of 1.056

6.1 gal removed and set aside
5.9 left in bk for 15 min boil
hop additions
1oz Warrior 17.2 AA 15 min
1.25oz Centennial 9.9 AA 10 min
1oz Cascade 7.5 AA 1 min
1oz Cascade 7.5 AA Dry
Boil with IC, drain to primary bucket, move IC to primary, start cooling
OG 1.060
IBU 40.85

6.1 gal wort added to bk + 1 gal water added for 60 min boil
hop additions
.5oz Warrior 17.2 AA 40 min
1.25oz Centennial 9.9 AA 10 min
1oz Cascade 7.5 AA 1 min
1oz Cascade7.5 AA Dry
Normal 60 min boil
OG 1.060
IBU 40.80

1/2 oz corriander added to each batch @ 10 min
4 sweet oranges (2 zested) chopped, flash pasturized @ 160 for 10 min, cooled and added to each primary.

Side by side results in 5 weeks. :D
Bull

My hypothesis is that the short boil will have some nasty DMS.

I think the experiment would work better without the coriander and orange. I just think it would be easier to compare flavor with out the distractions.

Thanks for doing this. I'm very curious to read the results. You should try to get some BJCP judges to try them in a blind tasting and comment. Or at the very least do a blind or triangle tasting by yourself. The blind triangle taste removes some of the mental bias. No matter how impartial you attempt to be, your mind will always have a bias and those expectations will skew your perception.

Bull - I had good results doing a DMS scrub with CO2 through a manifold post mash for my no boil AG experiment. I have read this will also work post fermentation if you find DMS before packaging.... Just a thought from Maida's post

Bull - I had good results doing a DMS scrub with CO2 through a manifold post mash for my no boil AG experiment. I have read this will also work post fermentation if you find DMS before packaging.... Just a thought from Maida's post

I'm unfamiliar with the DMS scrubber. Can you give me more details of the build and use.

I brewed on Friday night and had a coulpe of glitches. The long boil batch didn't boil off as much as I expected, so my gravity on that batch is about 4 points less than the short boil.

Other than that something that I found very usefull and will use in future batches is that draining the BK into a primary bucket and cooling in it is much quicker than cooling in the keggle.

Both batches are chugging away @ 63 degrees.

Bull

I'm unfamiliar with the DMS scrubber. Can you give me more details of the build and use.

Bull

Sure, what I did was take a piece of soft copper refrigerator tubing (1/4in OD I think, maybe smaller)
I made a coil with a long arm coming up from the outside. I then drilled a bunch of 1/16th holes in it and pinched the ends. The long arm I fit inside a piece of clear plastic tubing and attached it to my CO2 tank. Sanitized the whole thing and put it in the bottom of my bucket fermenter. I then pumped the beer from my MLT into the bucket (You would go from kettle to bucket, or even put the scrubber right into you kettle, I did it this way because of the no boil experiment)

Then just turn on the CO2 for a few minutes. You can actually smell the DMS coming out, when the smell goes away turn off the CO2. Form what I have read you can do this post fermentation also either by using the scrubber manifold or by putting it into a keg and pushing gas through the liquid post and letting it gas out that way.

I would nornally just keg, force carb, degass and go, but for this experiment I want to bottle both batches. I'll taste first, then scrub if needed and then bottle.
Thanks
Bull

First update....

My efficiency was a little off because I sparged to quickly.
I split the batch, did the 15 min boil, drained, did the 60 min boil on the second batch with added water and ended up with slightly different gravities.

So the 15 min batch has an OG of 1.056 and the 60 min batch has an OG of 1.053.
Both gravities are sitting @ 1.013

Transfered 11/21/10

Visual, 60 min boil is darker in color.
Clarity is similar for both.
Aroma, more over all nose in the 15 min batch.
Bittering is very similar in both.
DMS, none detectable in either.

This is only 2 weeks in and just transfered from the primary with the oranges, so it's really early, but I'm pleased with the results so far. I had 2 friends who are both close to testing for their BJCP cert taste this and will do a blind tasting in about 3 weeks.

The beer tastes good, but for the sake of the experiment I should have left out the oranges and corriander as suggested in an earlier post.

Bull

i'm interested in the results also. Why boil for 90 or 60 minutes unless absolutely necessary.

The short boil actually score higher (36 if I remember correctly) than the long boil.
Both were good beers and there was no long term changes in them. By long term I mean a few months. Beer doesn't stick around long here!

I'm actually developing an entire short boil process and set of recipies to go with it. These will be extract with steeping grain recipies.

The first test batch scored a 37 and took Silver in a flight of 17.

Hows that for a redheaded step child?
Bull

Good to know. I'm about to keg a hopbursted saison that I only boiled for 20 minutes. Smells awesome, but I started freaking myself out anyways!

Latest posts

Back