Ag!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Okay, four 6% APA's and a 22 oz of Apfelwein going to bed :rockin: and will post the results of my first AG brewday mańana (morning). Wish me luck...or don't if you're a hater, whatever.

So I am not too emabarressed beforehand, if brewday is a success I will post my recipe and numbers, If brewday is a total failure, I will post my recipe and numbers, so either way...like it or not...you'll know how bad I ****ed up on my first attempt.:drunk:

Post to come!

Does your mother sow?...BOOM!...Tell your mother to sow that!:ban:

Results???
Guess your still sleeping it off ;)
anyways good luck on your future brews! Welcome to the darkside!

Its sort of like your "first time" although good it will get way better when you do it more:)

Okay so brew day went pretty well, my evaporation rate with my pot was a little more than I thought so I had to add about 1/2 gallon of water to reach my 5.25 gallon total, but I overshot my pre-boil SG by 1.001, and my OG by 1.001 as well. I also calculated my Brewhouse efficiency at 80.78% therefore I was totally stoked! At any rate here is my recipe:

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/6/2009
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Broken Glass Brewery
Boil Size: 7.50 gal Asst Brewer: Shawn Dunn
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment - Brew Pot (15 Gal/60 qt) and Coleman Xtreme Cooler (52 qt)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.80

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.75 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.38 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.38 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 tsp Brewer's Yeast (yeast hulls) (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.04 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.17 %
Bitterness: 28.9 IBU Calories: 205 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.00 lb
Sparge Water: 6.00 gal
Sparge Temperature: 184.0 F

Name Description: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time: 75 min
Step Temp: 150.0 F
Mash In: Add 10.00 qt of water at 165.6 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time). Double batch sparge with no mash out using equal sparge volumes.

Notes

First AG brewday went surprisingly well, the 90 minute boil had a higher evaporation rate than I had expected of almost 3 gallons. I adjusted "My Equipment" and I will need to start with about 8 gallons for 5.25-5.50 gallons to go into the fermenter.
Yeast was pitched at about 70°, and immediately placed into 67° water bath.

So there it is ,I had a lag time of about 4 hours or so, and it is chuggin along nicely. I can't wait to sample my first AG beer!

Next on deck will be a Rye or Wheat/Wit brew.

Congrats! I have my tun built and my first AG brewday is on the horizon!

Pictures?

Unfortunately not this time, SWMBO was at a waterpark with some friends for the last day of the season (I planned on having her snap shots during the brewday), and my assistant and I were more concerned with hitting our numbers for the first AG batch, I will definitely take photos next time now that I am comfortable with what I am doing.

In hindsight, I wish I would have started with AG. Having said, that at least I have a little better control over my temperatures, and understand the fermentation process better.

I am hoping to increase my efficiency a couple percent on the next batch, which will be a 10 gal batch.:rockin:

Back