What styles through a stout faucet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you serve through a stout faucet?

• Ordinary Bitter

• ESB

• Scottish XX/-

• Irish Red

• English Brown Ales

• American Amber Ale

• American Brown Ale

• Porter

• American Stout

• Sweet Stout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ovbiously a stout faucet can be used for more than just stouts. I've just made the decision to buy one and to help justify it, I'm looking at what other styles I could serve through it.

Also, voting for a style doesn't mean I'd ALWAYS but that style through the stout faucet, just that it would be good to try.

I voted for the top 5, but I'm curious to see what other people say.

I voted for them all. I mean, it's your faucet, why not figure out what you like most?

I've also had an APAs and IPAs served like this as well. I must say, the bouquet of an IPA that's been through a restrictor plate is amazing.

do you plan on using beer gas when serving other things or do you just plan to use plain old co2?

Remove the restrictor plate and push with CO2, any of those can be served with a stout faucet.

With NO2/CO2 and the plate installed, I'd only serve the appropriate styles. I see those as anything I would be able to find as cask ale or hand pumped.

American stout would be a definite nope for me.

Sorry, I meant on beergas. I don't think I'd use it for porter or american stout. I think I'd really like a southern brown ale but I'm not as sure about northern. With an Irish red I think it would depend. The first one I ever made was on the lighter more refreshing side of the style, but the one I have on tap right now would be great on beergas.

I'm pretty pumped, I think I'll order it now :D

I had a mild served on nitro before and it was really nice. Also an American Red ale. The brewery/pub near me has one nitro tap and they will serve some of their different beers on it from time to time. Kind of seeing what works like you are thinking.

Just for clarification... Do you have to buy a special bottle for beergas (%70 NO2/%30 CO2)? or can you use a regular Co2 bottle?

If I'm correct I think most suppliers put it in a nitrogen bottle, which is why I just ordered a nitrogen regulator.

So does the beer come out with a head like Guinness Draught comes out in the can with the Widgett? Or will it depend on the brew? Or will you need to have the stout faucet as well? Pretty much what I wanted to know is that if I get a nitrogen bottle will I need to buy a separate Co2 bottle to have a "regular" head or can I just use a traditional sanke or picnic tap with the beer gas in the nitrogen bottle? I am ready to order my keg setup and I need to think of something to tell SWMBO in case I have to get both.

Absolutely it can be used out of an ordinary CO2 tank. You can also use a CO2 regulator, you just may not be able to get it up to pressure (40psi) for use with Stout. I have changed over my nitro-regulator to fit my regular CO2 tank and now use it on either my 5lb or 20lb tanks.

I did not vote in this poll as I am to new to have a preference. I do have a stout tap and a tank of beer gas, but my stout is not ready to keg yet.

Soon though.

Salute! :mug:

Absolutely it can be used out of an ordinary CO2 tank. You can also use a CO2 regulator, you just may not be able to get it up to pressure (40psi) for use with Stout. I have changed over my nitro-regulator to fit my regular CO2 tank and now use it on either my 5lb or 20lb tanks.

I did not vote in this poll as I am to new to have a preference. I do have a stout tap and a tank of beer gas, but my stout is not ready to keg yet.

Soon though.

Salute! :mug:

You can use a CO2 regulator ONLY if it gets up to the high pressures that they store beer gas at. Otherwise you'll keep venting. Regular N2 regulators are rated for 3000 psi. CO2 regulators usually are only rated for 1800 psi.

Cream Ale!

Why? Because a cream ale should be nice and creamy? NO! There should be nothing creamy about a cream ale. It should be BMC with a little too much maltiness.

Okay, I know there's no wrong answer here and personal taste and all that feel-good bla bla, but...wrong answer!:drunk:

Well, I disagree, anyway. Could be tasty I guess.

When you don't have a "cask type" on hand serve Seltzer water through it. I found the restrictor plate does a wonderful job as a pressure reducer.

Back