What should a Co2 tank gauge read when full?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
I just got this set up from kegconnection:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=324

The pressure gauge on the Co2 tank goes from 0-2000 psi. From 0-500 psi the gauge is marked in red with a warning saying "order gas". I had the tank filled last weekend and since then I have only used the tank to clean the beer lines and to expel oxygen from 2 kegs after filling them with beer (20 psi then purge, etc).

I noticed yesterday that the Co2 tank reads at only 600 psi when I turn on the gas. Since this is only 100 psi away from being in the red where I need to order gas I am concerned that the tank is close to empty. Unfortunately I didn't take notice of what the gauge read when I had it filled last weekend.

My question is, should the tank read 600 psi when full or do I have a leak? Surely I couldn't have used the majority of the gas just cleaning the beer lines and filling two kegs?

that red section is about useless. if you are in the red, you are out of liquid CO2, and are running on what vapor is left in the tank. the best way to know what is left is to weigh your empty tank, and check your tank now and then.

Co2 will vary with temperature. my tank in the fridge reads 600PSI (normal for 36*) and should read around 830PSI at room temperature

that being said..you are fine.

Thanks!

That probably explains it as my tank has been in the fridge the entire time.

Yeah. The regulator will usually be just above the redline at serving temperatures. As BreWirfel states, once it drops into the red zone you're on vapors and you'll literally be out of CO2 within a beer or two. For that reason the gauges are sort of useless for providing any sort of warning that you're running low. I'd suggest having a spare tank if you're like me and think that being out of C02 for even half an hour is a borderline tragedy.

Your full tank or almost emtpy tank should read the same thing... SOMETHING. Your emty tank should read nothing...:D +1 the gauge is useless

When I buy CO2 it is by weight. A fill is 20 pounds and the guage reads nowhere close to full like when I buy oxygen.

Latest posts

Back